ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Water Under Hood

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-15, 09:55 PM
Hybrid8
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Water Under Hood

Had my 2015 es300h since mid October,great car except when it rains hard or when washing the car,the passenger side headlight wirings gets wet all the time.Dealer has confirm that it happens to other es models on their lot.If that is case this a major problem a few years down the road as those wires are going to rust which leads to electrical problems.Just wondering if other es owner experience this issue.
Old 03-03-15, 05:24 AM
wowzer
Pit Crew

Where do you check?
Old 03-03-15, 05:50 AM
airgas1998
Driver

Originally Posted by Hybrid8
Had my 2015 es300h since mid October,great car except when it rains hard or when washing the car,the passenger side headlight wirings gets wet all the time.Dealer has confirm that it happens to other es models on their lot.If that is case this a major problem a few years down the road as those wires are going to rust which leads to electrical problems.Just wondering if other es owner experience this issue.
how did you discover this?
Old 03-03-15, 06:10 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 613 Likes on 461 Posts

Need more info, with pic's. I have never noticed anything out of the ordinary after washing my car. I always lift the hood when drying, too.
Old 03-03-15, 11:05 AM
Arty101
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

The engine compartment will get wet with rain or wash. It gets in through the grill, splash from underneath and along the edge of the hood. Electrical wiring to the lights, and in general, are usually sealed for that reason.

Unless water is getting actually into the light housing itself, then NBD.
Old 03-03-15, 12:44 PM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,233 Likes on 866 Posts

Just when I think I know most of the abbreviations I see a new one. "NBD" What's NBD Art?
Old 03-03-15, 01:17 PM
Arty101
Lexus Champion

No Big Deal!
Old 03-03-15, 02:01 PM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,233 Likes on 866 Posts

Originally Posted by Arty101
No Big Deal!
Yowza...Shoulda figured it out...
Old 03-03-15, 02:13 PM
Arty101
Lexus Champion

Bob- Now you can use this on the young'ins and see their reaction.
Old 03-03-15, 08:39 PM
Hybrid8
Driver School Candidate

I'll make 1 post for all replies.When I order my car it didn't come with hid headlight,to get hid's I would have to wait another 2 months which I wasn't willing to wait.So the salesman suggest I install aftermarket light which I did and that's how I discover it when installing them.A bit of water inside under the hood is normal but on headlight wiring connectors is not normal and it's not from the grill area.In my case when you shine a flashlight around the headlight connector it's wet.That's why I posted to see if any other owners experience this or the mechanic 's giving the round around.
Old 03-04-15, 04:21 AM
chromedome
Lexus Test Driver

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

Did your mechanic add aftermarket HID bulbs and ballasts? Those ballasts would have wiring going to the bulbs. Maybe the headlight wasn't sealed properly after the aftermarket install and water can enter the assembly through the bulb opening. Some photos would help.

My car came with stock HIDs and it has sealed wires going into the headlight assembly. Those wires can get wet driving through wet roads but they're weatherproofed, so no issues there.
Old 03-07-15, 10:42 PM
Poppa
Instructor

Received 166 Likes on 119 Posts

Not to hijack this gentleman's thread ( my apology if I'm posting something here that shouldn't be ), but the title of this thread "water under the hood", reminded me of a "funny" car story... years ago, I bought a new Oldsmobile 98 Regency Elite ( it's a shame todays cars don't ride like that car did ). The first weekend I had it, I washed it, and immediately I noticed water inside one of the headlights.. literally an inch or so of standing water inside the plastic lens... it eventually went away.. next week it rained, same thing, more water in the headlight... That same week I got a call from the dealership.. a follow up " how do you like your car " calls... I told the lady on the phone about the water and she put me thru to one of the service writers... I explained the water issue to him and he asked me what I wanted them to do... I said replace the headlight assembly.. then he said to me " not sure that would make much difference because as you know we do live in Louisiana and the humidity here is awfully high"... there was a pause because I was trying not to laugh in his face, so after a moment I said you're right, high humidity down here... then I asked him when did he want me to bring the car in.. He asked me " bring it in for what"... I very politely told him that I was almost certain that the humidity level was exactly the same on both sides of the car, and that only one headlight got water in it, so obviously the other headlight must be faulty since it has no water in it...... another pause and I asked him to transfer me to the service manager, who asked me to bring the car in.. they put a new headlight assembly in.. problem solved... Just couldn't believe how the service writer tried to dismiss my issue with such a stupid explination... fortunately the majority of the service writers I've dealt with have all been pretty good about trying to solve any issues... just thought you might find this amusing..

Poppa
Old 03-08-15, 03:05 PM
Poppa
Instructor

Received 166 Likes on 119 Posts

Unfortunately some of the nonsense that you hear at car dealerships doesn't always involve the service dept. In sept. of 2006 I was about to sign the paperwork on a new Buick... I was actually at the Buick dealership, paperwork was on the desk --- then my wife asked me to PLEASE look at th Toyota Avalon before I bought the Buick... I'm a large man and didn't think there was anyway in the world I would be comfortable in a Toyota, but to keep peace in the family I said okay.... when we pulled up at the Toyota dealership a nice young man ( and by young I mean 21--- maybe ) greeted us... I didn't see any Avalons where we were parked so I asked this salesman " could you show me where your Avalons are parked? " his response....( are you sitting down ) Who makes the Avalon... I looked at my wife, shook my head and excused myself... went on inside the dealership, got another salesman and ended up buying an Avalon... You would think "every" salesman at "every" dealership would know the products their company makes... btw, went back to the Buick dealership and apologized to the salesman for walking away from what was a pretty much done deal... he was cool with it... told me not to worry about it.. said they had lost a lot of customers to Toyota & Honda.

Poppa
Old 03-09-15, 10:52 PM
Arty101
Lexus Champion

The salesperson, like the service writer are there to make money for the dealer. Nothing new. You need to find a trusted indie mechanic or a service writer that won't upsell you.