ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Consumer reports has me worried

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-15, 06:26 AM
wowzer
Pit Crew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Look at the consumer reports for lexus reliability and owner satisfaction. It is tops....and truth be told, i trust the owner's satisfaction much more than the CR review. To me, i am not just buying a carfor today, i am buying car for many years. I am still driving my 2002 Acura TL type S....it was a great car then and still a good car today. I think BMW, MB, Audi, and etc would not have lasted this long. I read CR and tons of other reviews....they all gripe about how the ride was firmed up just a little, but not enough to be a sports car in cornering. I never will need the cornering ability, but rather drive slower (and safer) instead. It is a trade off of performance and efficiency. For reviewers, they love the thrill of driving, which is probably why they are auto journalists. I want to get from A to B, in a dependable, reliable, and comfortable car.
Old 02-26-15, 06:47 AM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,231 Likes on 864 Posts

Just read the morning newspaper: The rankings of cars for dependability are shown and are as follows:

1. Lexus - 2. Buick - 3. Toyota - 4. Cadillac - 5. Honda (a tie with Porsche) - Porsche. Not bad...
Old 02-26-15, 06:58 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

Originally Posted by bc6152
Just read the morning newspaper: The rankings of cars for dependability are shown and are as follows:

1. Lexus - 2. Buick - 3. Toyota - 4. Cadillac - 5. Honda (a tie with Porsche) - Porsche. Not bad...
And it has pretty much been that way for years with Toyota and Lexus at or near the top of the list.

For about the last 15 years or so, all of the vehicles that I've bought have either been Lexus or Toyota products. In the 20 years or so before that, I owned a good number of Nissan/Infiniti vehicles and a couple of Honda products. The quality level of the Nissan/Infiniti and Honda vehicles was excellent, but the Toyota and Lexus vehicles have been just a notch above the others with regard to fits and finishes, reliability, etc.

I also should point out that the replies in this thread are to be expected. On any internet user forum, whether it be for cars, computers, TV sets, etc. you can expect that most people who post are going to be people who are happy with their purchase decisions or who have some sort of need to convince others or, perhaps, themselves that they made a good purchase decision, and this forum is no different. On the other hand, I would expect that, on non-Lexus vehicle boards, you would be likely to see a very different array of results.
Old 02-26-15, 07:56 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 611 Likes on 459 Posts

Originally Posted by lesz
I also should point out that the replies in this thread are to be expected. On any internet user forum, whether it be for cars, computers, TV sets, etc. you can expect that most people who post are going to be people who are happy with their purchase decisions or who have some sort of need to convince others or, perhaps, themselves that they made a good purchase decision, and this forum is no different. On the other hand, I would expect that, on non-Lexus vehicle boards, you would be likely to see a very different array of results.
From my many years experience with various forums, a lot of people sign up just to complain. Usually, content owners have no desire to venture out and join a forum, just to praise their purchase. This forum, however, seems to be more infused with enthusiasts. I think that speaks volumes for the way Lexus has positioned itself in the industry.
Old 02-26-15, 08:33 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike728
From my many years experience with various forums, a lot of people sign up just to complain. Usually, content owners have no desire to venture out and join a forum, just to praise their purchase. This forum, however, seems to be more infused with enthusiasts. I think that speaks volumes for the way Lexus has positioned itself in the industry.
Yes, it is true that a large percentage of people who post on internet forums are people who want to complain or rant, but, on most of the forums that I visit, the complainers and ranters are short-term participants who don't stay around long, and those who post regularly over a long period of time tend to be the ones who have very positive feelings about the product.
Old 02-26-15, 10:52 AM
Arty101
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike728
I agree. I suspect less than 10% of owners join or participate in forums like this.
Old 02-26-15, 04:50 PM
chromedome
Lexus Test Driver

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

If you really want to find out what unreliable and poor finishing really mean, buy an Italian car. Preferably one just before the Fiat-Chrysler merger. FPT may make engines that sound great and make good power (Twin Sparks have such a lovely noise for a small engine) but by the gods, Fiat quality control is shocking. Mismatched piston rings from the factory, bad sensors everywhere, interior plastics melting and snapping apart after a year...

Lexus is up on the Olympus of reliability as far as I'm concerned.
Old 02-27-15, 02:03 AM
Poppa
Instructor

Received 166 Likes on 119 Posts

Hey Folks, don't be dissuaded by the cr report... as others pointed out, the author of that report didn't have or know all the facts... The ES is based on the Avalon platform, not the camry... he says the Avalon has the same engine / drive train... that is true... and it's part of the reason I bought my ES... I had an Avalon prior to buying my Lexus, and the Avalon was a wonderful car, never had any issues to speak of from the manufacturers stand point... but there are things about the ES that make it a nicer car than the Avalon... for me, it was how much more quiet the cabin was than my 07Avalon.. also, you get a year longer on the warranty.... not to mention resale on the lexus is one of the best in the industry... test drove a lot of cars before buying my ES, most notably the Chrysler 300, which I love the ride on the 300 and also test drove a Cadillac XTS.... liked the caddy okay as far as ride, but I just didn't care too much for the interior... Actually started out to buy another Avalon, but they didn't want to haggle too much.. ended up getting my 2013 ES ( last one they had on the showroom - 2014 models were already on the lot ) for less than it would have cost me to buy a comparably equipped Avalon... so far I don't regret my decision..I guess, to each his own.

Poppa