ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Consumer reports has me worried

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-15, 10:01 AM
nflguy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Consumer reports has me worried

So i finally got around to reading the consumer reports review of the 2015 ES350 and 300H. What they had to say was not reassuring,

"Although the ES rides well it's not luxury-car plush, feeling instead like a generic family sedan. Climb inside and you'll find adequate room, but it's not particularly spacious for the class. At first glance, the cabin furnishings look really good. But a closer inspection reveals some cheaper materials than in the past and a general impression of cost-cutting. Lexus has also done away with simple touch-screen controls, instead using more complicated systems that can make it more difficult to perform common functions.

Going with the hybrid adds about $2,900 over the V6. Equipment differences on our tested cars meant they were similarly priced -- $43,702 for our well-equipped ES 350, $44,017 for a comparatively basic 300h. If you are sold on having a car with a Lexus badge or want to take advantage of the highly touted Lexus dealership experience, then the ES likely won't disappoint.

But there are plenty of alternatives that provide a more luxurious experience. The Hyundai Genesis is far more luxurious inside, and comes closer to the ES's goal of being enjoyable to drive. Large domestic sedans like the Chevrolet Impala and Chrysler 300 might lack the panache and reputation of the Lexus nameplate, but each rides better and quieter than the ES, yet costs several thousand dollars less.

The ES also suffers from cross-shopping with other Toyota-family products. You can get much of the same package for notably less money in the Toyota Camry, which is based on the same platform. Another alternative is the Toyota Avalon, which has more space and the same powertrains as the ES. Both the Camry and Avalon are very reliable, just like the ES, but they don't provide the same dealership experience."
Old 02-25-15, 10:02 AM
nflguy
Driver School Candidate

Not exactly the review I want to see when I'm considering paying nearly $50k for a new car.
Old 02-25-15, 10:33 AM
qlaval
Driver School Candidate

The ES share the Avalon platform not the Camry.
Old 02-25-15, 11:12 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 611 Likes on 459 Posts

Originally Posted by nflguy
Not exactly the review I want to see when I'm considering paying nearly $50k for a new car.
When I purchased back in 2013, I actually researched and drove all the comparable vehicles, myself. I put little faith in what others think is right for me.
Old 02-25-15, 11:57 AM
jim256
Lead Lap

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

If you want Consumer Reports to decide what you drive, have fun.....er, no you won't.
Old 02-25-15, 01:17 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

I wouldn't worry. Consumer Reports doesn't tell the whole story. If you want the whole story, look at how the ES helped to define Lexus, and read this forum, and look at the number of satisfied owners, of repeat ES buyers, and people so enthusiastic about their ESs that they like to log on and talk about them with other ES owners.

Their review is not an indication of what your ownership experience will be like. Every car gets both good and bad reviews. All that matters is how you feel about it.
Old 02-25-15, 01:20 PM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,231 Likes on 864 Posts

I think that Mike and Jim nailed it. You have to decide which car you like the most. If anything, I've found that CR reviews are inaccurate (as the one quoted above is) and sometimes reviewer biased. I too researched and drove numerous vehicles before plunking down my $45K. It's the most I've ever spent on a car...There are negatives and positives with every brand of car made. Some important, some not so important. You have to decide...
Old 02-25-15, 01:31 PM
gemigniani
Intermediate

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

So what's stopping you from renting an Impala, or Chrysler 200 for $50 a day to see if Consumer Reports is right? Or test driving a Camry V6 or a Genesis V6 to see how they compare?

Even if the ES does not measure up to those cars in some respects, those shortcomings have to be balanced against the ES's superior reliability and durability, resale value and the ease of finding a used car buyer, the ease of getting parts and service (most Toyota dealers will service an ES).

If spending 45K makes you uncomfortable, then a loaded 33K Camry XLE V6 is an option. And since the Camry 4 cyl is powerful and responsive you may not need the V6 and can get a loaded 4 cyl XLE for $27K.

If long term reliability and durability is not important, I think the Ford Fusion is tops in its class in terms of ride comfort, quietness and seating comfort.

Last edited by gemigniani; 02-25-15 at 01:36 PM.
Old 02-25-15, 01:32 PM
atoyota
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

"The ES also suffers from cross-shopping with other Toyota-family products. You can get much of the same package for notably less money in the Toyota Camry, which is based on the same platform. Another alternative is the Toyota Avalon, which has more space and the same powertrains as the ES. Both the Camry and Avalon are very reliable, just like the ES, but they don't provide the same dealership experience."

When I see this statement it makes me wonder if they are really comparing the correct vehicles. The 2013+ ES shares the Avalon platform, not the Camry as in the past and has more room than previous ES's and the Same room as the Avalon. It even has slightly more room than the current GS. If you want a review to confirm your purchase go ahead and listen to all the reviews out there. I prefer to go and test for myself and make my own conclusions. I have some respect for CR, but they are not the gospel.
Old 02-25-15, 01:35 PM
atoyota
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by gemigniani
Even if the ES does not measure up to those cars in some respects, those shortcomings have to be balanced against the ES's superior reliability and durability, resale value and the ease of finding a used car buyer, the ease of getting parts and service (most Toyota dealers will service an ES).
Agreed. And after 3-5 years you will have an old Impala or 300 that is also flooded with the rental car agency cast offs and you'll find that you will have little residual value in your trade in or sale.
Old 02-25-15, 02:09 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

As several others have said, it is difficult for me to attribute much credibility in an assessment done by people who don't even seem to be aware of the fact that the fact that the Camry and the ES are no longer built on the same platform and that the Avalon and ES are built on the same platform.

Further, contrary to what CR claims, when the 6th generation ES was introduced, it was praised for the amount of cabin space that it has, but the CR reviewers didn't seem to notice that.

Consumer Reports generally makes its judgments based on very superficial comparisons, some of which aren't even accurate. So, for example, if the Avalon and ES are built on the same platform, share the same engine, have similar dimensions (which, again, CR didn't seem to realize), CR would be likely to recommend that buyers choose the Avalon because it costs less. But other comparisons might lead others to come to a different conclusion. When I've had my ES serviced at a Toyota dealer, I've been given both Camry and Avalon loaners. And it hasn't taken me long to realize that, beyond the superficial, there are differences between the Toyota vehicles and the ES. Just hearing how much more wind, engine, and road noise enters the cabin on the Toyota cars immediately reminded me that I wasn't in my ES.

I could not deny that the Camry and Avalon are high quality vehicles with excellent reputations for reliability, but neither of them holds up to the ES in a number of aspects. To many, saving a little money and giving up some of what the ES has is a good tradeoff. To others, paying a little more to get a little more is also a good tradeoff.
Old 02-25-15, 02:13 PM
xclream
Rookie

The guy whoever wrote this, obviously has no clue and didn't do his home work before writing the article.

1. Current generation ES shares the same platform as the Avalon, NOT the Camry's.
2. Current generation ES shares virtually the same interior dimensions as the Avalon, NOT the Camry.
3. ES doesn't ride like luxury car plush? Judging from the above two statements, we can safely conclude that the writer NEVER left the office and drove the new ES.
Old 02-25-15, 05:51 PM
chromedome
Lexus Test Driver

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

CR also forgot to mention how much rear seat legroom the ES has, both compared to the previous Camry-based ES and to the big LS. It's even equivalent to a standard wheelbase S-class. Speaking as an ES300h owner, there's no equivalent luxury hybrid on the market with the same fuel economy and big electric torque. I was cross-shopping between the ES, Passat LWB, Audi A6L and a BMW 5 LWB and I'm glad I went with the cheaper Lexus instead of those stretched Germans

My only gripes are the tire roar from some stock tires and wind noise at 80 mph. The trunk space also isn't much, especially in the hybrid with batteries behind the rear seat.

Last edited by chromedome; 02-25-15 at 05:54 PM.
Old 02-26-15, 05:28 AM
corpnupe85
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I currently have a 2014 ES 350. It is much better than the previous generations. As of the genesis, I owned one for 2 years. 2 months after having that vehicle, I had issues with door handles breaking off, windshield motor died, issues with tire balance (had to replace 3 tires). The genesis does not compare to the ES 350!
Old 02-26-15, 06:07 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

If you are reading reviews when new car shopping, I think it's a mistake to be swayed one way or another by one review. You really need to read several, and identify areas mentioned that are important to you. By reading multiple reviews from credible sources you can determine if there are trends pro and con that you should be aware of etc. There are a ton of sources out there for reviews of the ES, pick a few and read them over (Car and Driver, Motor Trend, ,Edmunds, KBB and yes, Consumer Reports). A quick search will turn up more than you'll ever need.

Quick Reply: Consumer reports has me worried