ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Car Wash

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-15, 03:01 PM
nflguy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car Wash

I have seen numerous posts complaining that Dealer car washes (and I assume any car wash) leaves scratches on the paint. So what is the alternative? Everyone that doesnt want their car scratched up must wash their selves with a hose in the driveway?
Old 02-24-15, 03:10 PM
innomind
Driver School Candidate

I haven't washed my car in the car wash even once since I got my ES leased in July. I wash it by hand only when it rains. I spray the whole car with water-downed dishwasher liquid and rub the whole car with rubber sponge while it rains. When the sun comes up the car is sparkling clean.
Old 02-24-15, 03:11 PM
Canesguy
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

A brushless car wash is better than brushed one. A by-hand carwash is still the most prefered.
Old 02-24-15, 04:49 PM
Nelexus88
Intermediate

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts

How do you think the Lexus dealers wash all those new cars on their lots, by hand? If they are so bad, why aren't the new cars scratched up? My '14 ES 350 has been washed at least 3 times at different dealers and shows no obvious paint damage, but my eyes aren't as good as they once were.

A couple of years ago tried a brushless car wash and it didn't clean well at all. Had to hand wash the car again when I got home.

Last edited by Nelexus88; 02-24-15 at 05:01 PM.
Old 02-24-15, 05:11 PM
Jbreezie
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default A must read if you care about your paint

http://www.detailedimage.com/Ask-a-Pro/the-real-cost-of-a-cheap-car-wash/
Old 02-24-15, 05:30 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by Nelexus88
How do you think the Lexus dealers wash all those new cars on their lots, by hand? If they are so bad, why aren't the new cars scratched up? My '14 ES 350 has been washed at least 3 times at different dealers and shows no obvious paint damage, but my eyes aren't as good as they once were.

A couple of years ago tried a brushless car wash and it didn't clean well at all. Had to hand wash the car again when I got home.
You have a good color for not showing swirls. My last Lexus was Starfire Pearl and even though I usually washed it myself, it had several washes at the dealerships with no problems. Partially for that reason, these days I stick to lighter colors for my cars.
Old 02-24-15, 07:11 PM
Arty101
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

If you want obsidian black, you better hand wash it or accept swirl and light scratches from any mechanical wash.
Old 02-25-15, 01:50 AM
Poppa
Instructor

Received 166 Likes on 119 Posts

Interesting topic.... I bought my matador red ES just over a year ago... just so happens that my son was at a business that is located close to the dealership, and one day my son calls and says "hey pop, you do know that when you get your car washed at the dealership, they use brushes ". he apparently watched as new and customer cars were washed with brushes.... Guess I'm lucky, havent seen any scratches from the car wash.. however I will add that since my son called, every time I take it in for a wash, I specifically tell the porter to put it on the ticket " hand wash only"... and I've actually walked back there several times and so far, haven't caught them using a brush... so far so good.

Poppa
Old 02-25-15, 06:46 PM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 691 Likes on 508 Posts

My dealership has an automatic car wash but I don't know if it uses brushes or not. The few times they have washed one of our cars they come back an absolute mess and simply not to my expectations. I would rather deal with it myself and not have deal with the awful leftover complimentary water spots. I always remind them "absolutely no car wash" when I drop my cars off.

For the record, I admit that I am very picky, some might say a bit OCD. My opinion is if you are going to wash the car then do it right or don't do it at all. It isn't a big deal for me. Some people garden for stress relief, I prefer to wash the car.
Old 02-26-15, 05:14 PM
Formula271
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Nelexus88

All those cars have swirl marks. Period. The first pass thru a dealer car wash (or really any carwash) will scratch the paint to some extent.

Like others have said, the lighter colors hide the swirls MUCH better. Some of the darker colors (stargazer black, for instance) can be, in my mind, ruined by one pass thru.

The only option is to wash (carefully) by hand, by yourself. The only way I wash is to power wash the car first with soft water before I ever touch the vehicle with a soapy terry-cloth wash rag. Usually, I flood the area I'm washing with soapy terry cloth wash rag as I'm working to float away any dirt.

Touchless car wash is so silly....for a quick rinse sure, but to wash and then dry (cringe) after using touchless is still recipe for scratches.
Old 02-26-15, 05:54 PM
chromedome
Lexus Test Driver

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

Two bucket system, good mitts, lots of water and a good foaming soap are important for a scratch-free wash. I'd rather have my car looking muddy than trust it to cheap car washes or those drive-thru machines. I also ask my dealer not to wash the car after a service. Who knows what rags and dishwashing detergent they use?
Old 02-27-15, 02:56 AM
Formula271
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by chromedome
Two bucket system, good mitts, lots of water and a good foaming soap are important for a scratch-free wash. I'd rather have my car looking muddy than trust it to cheap car washes or those drive-thru machines. I also ask my dealer not to wash the car after a service. Who knows what rags and dishwashing detergent they use?
Oh, I totally agree with the "looking muddy" comment. I'm embarrassed to say I'll go weeks without washing, driving a dirty car, if I don't have the time to wash it correctly. I may run it thru a "touchless" wash and just not dry it. If my car can't be washed properly, it doesn't get washed.

I admit, I'm a bit of a fanatic. But, I will say, I have a 2002 MINI Cooper S, purchase new, dark sillver metallic, that still has no visible swirl marks on the car. The paint is absolutely pristine. That car has only been washed my me for 13 years. It's funny, I regularly have people comment and ask how there are no swirl marks on the car. Even people who are not really "car people" comment. I think most people are so conditioned to think that even a well-cared-for, very clean, older vehicle will have scratches. It kinda shocking to see a 13+ year old car that looks so close to new (better than new based on what I've seen some dealerships do to a car, running it thru dirty car wash, before customer even sees it!!....ah how beautiful that Stargazer Black RX400h would have been )
Old 02-27-15, 10:06 AM
atoyota
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I feel fortunate I guess that there are numerous hand car washes in my area. They cost a little more - $25 with tip for the basic wash at the place I go (http://www.aquahandcarwash.com/) - but I don't like driving dirty cars and I rarely have time to do it myself. I do a light interior wipe down in the garage at home (I hate greasy looking interiors) about once a week and use a detailing spray on the exterior in between washes unless there's been heavy rain. I probably go the hand wash place on average once a month and wash it myself probably every three months or so if I have the time. I've let the dealer wash my car the three times I've been in and don't see any swirls, but I do have the pearl white color.
Old 02-27-15, 10:48 AM
airgas1998
Driver

and for this reason i have learned my lesson very well, and to not ever buy a dark/er color again. went with atomic silver and it's a beautiful color. you know what they say about black(no not that) "its a full-time detailers nightmare".
Old 02-27-15, 01:21 PM
Arty101
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by airgas1998
and for this reason i have learned my lesson very well, and to not ever buy a dark/er color again. went with atomic silver and it's a beautiful color. you know what they say about black(no not that) "its a full-time detailers nightmare".
I normally get white or silver color cars for the same reason. This time, I got the nebula grey which is dark enough but won't be a PITA to keep clean. In fact, this is a very easy color not to show up the dirt as my lighter color cars.

Quick Reply: Car Wash