ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Semi-Anniline leather

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-15, 08:14 PM
nflguy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Semi-Anniline leather

We test drove two Es 350 cars today. The first was luxury trim and the 2nd was Ultra Luxury.

We found the semi-Anniline leather in the ultra luxury model to be more plush/comfortable. Anyone else agree? Also, should you have the semi aniline leather treated with anything either by the dealer or after market?
Old 02-21-15, 08:32 PM
roxy208
Pit Crew

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by nflguy
We test drove two Es 350 cars today. The first was luxury trim and the 2nd was Ultra Luxury.

We found the semi-Anniline leather in the ultra luxury model to be more plush/comfortable. Anyone else agree? Also, should you have the semi aniline leather treated with anything either by the dealer or after market?
Yes, I definitely agree. We have the regular leather in our RX and the UL pk in our ES. the semi-aniline looks and feels more luxurious. I didn't have any thing done at the dealer or after market. ( maybe I should have) I just condition with Meguiars leather cleaner & conditioner every weekend.
Old 02-21-15, 09:53 PM
nflguy
Driver School Candidate

On a related note I was very disappointed with the parchment interior on one of the ES350 we looked at. In pictures it looked great but in person It looked too light and had several finger print spots and smudges even though the car only had 10 miles on it. I was blown away by how mediocre it looked overall. It took about 10 seconds to realize black leather interior was the better option.
Old 02-22-15, 05:43 AM
roxy208
Pit Crew

On a related note I was very disappointed with the parchment interior on one of the ES350 we looked at. In pictures it looked great but in person It looked too light and had several finger print spots and smudges even though the car only had 10 miles on it. I was blown away by how mediocre it looked overall. It took about 10 seconds to realize black leather interior was the better option.
Agree on that too. I test drove a white one with parchment interior and thought it looked inferior to the other colors. We choose silver with black.
Old 02-23-15, 09:19 AM
Formula271
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The "semi aniline" leather definitely has a softer, almost buttery feel. It is a more natural product than the more-processed "standard" leather, and will not be as durable. I have the black semi-aniline interior and love it.

Regarding cleaning...please please please (did I say please?) do not use cleaners frequently (if at all). In time, they will destroy the leather. The only reason for conditioner is to follow-up with the abuse after cleaning. If a cleaner is not used, conditioner isn't needed. Instead, try a clean microfiber cloth with just water (I use RO water).
Old 02-23-15, 09:39 AM
nflguy
Driver School Candidate

can you get the semi anniline leather without geting the ultra luxury package?
Old 02-23-15, 09:41 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

can you get the semi anniline leather without geting the ultra luxury package?
No, the semi-aniline leather only comes as a part of the ultra luxury package.
Old 02-23-15, 11:54 AM
roxy208
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Formula271
The "semi aniline" leather definitely has a softer, almost buttery feel. It is a more natural product than the more-processed "standard" leather, and will not be as durable. I have the black semi-aniline interior and love it.

Regarding cleaning...please please please (did I say please?) do not use cleaners frequently (if at all). In time, they will destroy the leather. The only reason for conditioner is to follow-up with the abuse after cleaning. If a cleaner is not used, conditioner isn't needed. Instead, try a clean microfiber cloth with just water (I use RO water).
Thanks for the cleaning info. I will follow your advice.
Old 02-23-15, 02:47 PM
portable11
Driver School Candidate

Default nuluxe for me

I have semi-aniline leather furniture in my family room. The leather has a really nice feel to it, but it really has not held up well. I wouldn't choose it again, and certainly not in something that experiences temperature extremes like a car.

FYI, I have the nuluxe faux leather in my car, nothing but a quick wipe with a damp towel after washing it. My salesperson suggested I try it this time, and I have no regrets.

Your mileage may vary...
Old 02-23-15, 07:11 PM
chromedome
Lexus Test Driver

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts
Default Agreed

My old TSX had parchment leather and it was a total pain to keep clean. I used a good cleaner and conditioner and I still got jeans stains and tea stains. Now I've got gray NuLuxe and ice cream, vomit, mud (kids!!!) all wipe right off with a damp microfiber cloth.

Semi-aniline has a weird sound, like that non-Corinthian leather thing that Chrysler used
Old 02-24-15, 06:44 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 615 Likes on 463 Posts

My semi-aniline looks as good today as it did 2 years ago when I purchased the car. I've only wiped it down with a dry microfiber cloth, as far as cleaning goes. Another huge benefit of having the semi-aniline, is it comes with the cushion extender (both are standard on the UL). I don't think I could get comfortable in the standard seat. The cushion seems too short without the extender.
Old 02-24-15, 09:23 AM
Arty101
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I have the standard parchment leather and have no issues. Knock on wood, not even blue transfer from jeans.