ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Would You Buy Lexus Navigation Again???

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-15, 03:39 AM
Richie7
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks again Nelexus88, nflguy, less, and SW13GS. Everyone's replies were very helpful. Never thought about resale value. I just would have thought that Lexus, as quality of product as it is would have an excellent functioning gps in their vehicles. From what I read from these posts, it is probably not the best gps on a vehicle but it does get you to where you want to go and I will not regret it when I trade it in. Thanks again everyone.
Old 02-16-15, 07:16 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Originally Posted by Nelexus88
Navigation is usually part of an option package so its not easy to exclude it without loosing other desirable features you may want. I have it, but often use my Garmin when I need to do serious navigating.

Three useful things my cheap Garmin does that are not part of the Lexus navigation:
1. Continuous speed limit display.
2. Free lifetime map updates
3. Destination inputs while moving
(yes,I know about assist )
Speed limit is displayed on the gen 8 nav system (2015 ES), so that's a nice little upgrade from the gen 7 that was on the '14s and earlier models.

As for destination inputs while moving, you can do them with voice controls, which have been greatly improved on the 15s. For example, now you can simply say "go to 123 Main street, Seattle, WA" all in one command.
Old 02-16-15, 08:15 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

Originally Posted by Richie7
Thanks again Nelexus88, nflguy, less, and SW13GS. Everyone's replies were very helpful. Never thought about resale value. I just would have thought that Lexus, as quality of product as it is would have an excellent functioning gps in their vehicles. From what I read from these posts, it is probably not the best gps on a vehicle but it does get you to where you want to go and I will not regret it when I trade it in. Thanks again everyone.
Take what you read here with a grain of salt. I think the GPS is just fine. Its never going to have the functionality of a stand alone GPS unit, but I have not driven a car with a GPS system I like MORE than the one in the Lexus. Others are fine too, but its functional, gets me where I want to go, what more can one ask?
Old 02-16-15, 08:57 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by SW13GS
Take what you read here with a grain of salt. I think the GPS is just fine. Its never going to have the functionality of a stand alone GPS unit, but I have not driven a car with a GPS system I like MORE than the one in the Lexus. Others are fine too, but its functional, gets me where I want to go, what more can one ask?
You bring up good points. Each system, as well as portable units and phones ,will always have their pros and cons.

We had a 2010 ES350 which was the first year for the HD based system, and there are a couple of features with that system that I still miss.

We now have an Audi with MMI and a BMW with iDrive and each of them work just fine and do things a littler different than the other. The bottom line is they all get us where we want to go. I prefer an integrated unit in my cars these days.
Old 02-16-15, 09:01 AM
rxonmymind
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No. Was in San francisco this last weekend and could NOT type in, bring up....China town. It gave me Old China town 354 miles away. Little things like this bug the heck out of me. I tried POI- tourist attraction, destination, etc.
Old 02-16-15, 11:55 AM
fairplay1
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am confused, does 2015 ES 350 Navigation comes with Mark Levinson Audio system? or is it two separate packages?
Old 02-16-15, 11:58 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

Originally Posted by fairplay1
I am confused, does 2015 ES 350 Navigation comes with Mark Levinson Audio system? or is it two separate packages?
They are separate options.
Old 02-16-15, 01:36 PM
fairplay1
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by lesz
They are separate options.
Thanks, then one is Navigation/with back up camera and the other one is Navigation with Mark Levinson Audio? (which probably comes with ultra premium I guess, right?).
Going back to original poster, I would go with built in navigation, I have both a few Garmins (high ends one also) and my Sienna came with navigation, which I find it more convenient, although less features than say Garmin, GPS wise, but built-in navigation's would acquire Satellites faster, not to mention it also comes with a lot more options.

Last edited by fairplay1; 02-16-15 at 01:43 PM.
Old 02-16-15, 02:05 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

Thanks, then one is Navigation/with back up camera and the other one is Navigation with Mark Levinson Audio? (which probably comes with ultra premium I guess, right?).
Going back to original poster, I would go with built in navigation, I have both a few Garmins (high ends one also) and my Sienna came with navigation, which I find it more convenient, although less features than say Garmin, GPS wise, but built-in navigation's would acquire Satellites faster, not to mention it also comes with a lot more options.
I just looked on the Lexus website, and what can be confusing is that, from time-to-time, what combinations of options and packages are available will vary depending on what combinations their production lines are currently set up to build. It would appear that, at the present time, if you try to "build your Lexus" on the site, you can only build one with a navigation system if you also get the Ultra Luxury package and the Mark Levinson option. In the past, though, at most times, you have had the option to build the vehicle with a navigation system, but without the Mark Levinson option or the Ultra Luxury package.
Old 02-16-15, 03:04 PM
fairplay1
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by lesz
I just looked on the Lexus website, and what can be confusing is that, from time-to-time, what combinations of options and packages are available will vary depending on what combinations their production lines are currently set up to build. It would appear that, at the present time, if you try to "build your Lexus" on the site, you can only build one with a navigation system if you also get the Ultra Luxury package and the Mark Levinson option. In the past, though, at most times, you have had the option to build the vehicle with a navigation system, but without the Mark Levinson option or the Ultra Luxury package.
Thanks, that's exactly why I was confused about, because at the dealer, the salesman was saying they are separate packages, but then they did not have any ES 350 with Navigation on their lots to show me.
Old 02-17-15, 06:10 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 614 Likes on 462 Posts

Thanks, that's exactly why I was confused about, because at the dealer, the salesman was saying they are separate packages, but then they did not have any ES 350 with Navigation on their lots to show me.
That's very strange. I bet I would have a hard time finding an ES without nav on my dealer's lot.

What's even stranger is I was able to build a UL with ML audio for only $43k! I guess they made a few things, like 18" wheels, an option to the UL now.
Old 02-17-15, 10:02 PM
Arty101
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

When I was looking in late 2012 for the new 300h, there were none without a Nav. You had to look outside the SF Bay Area, probably in So Cal, to get one. All had the Premium or Lux package with a Nav.
Old 02-19-15, 05:00 PM
fairplay1
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Mike728
That's very strange. I bet I would have a hard time finding an ES without nav on my dealer's lot.

What's even stranger is I was able to build a UL with ML audio for only $43k! I guess they made a few things, like 18" wheels, an option to the UL now.
ML audio only comes with navigation right? The price you got is good with UL and ML, a good price to negotiate with, don't care about 18 inch wheels . The dealer I went to was Tustin Auto Center in SoCA, I wonder what would be a good dealer with more cars around here (southern Calif.)?
Old 02-20-15, 05:59 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 614 Likes on 462 Posts

I wonder what would be a good dealer with more cars around here (southern Calif.)?
I just did a quick check on Lexus' site. Wow! You have more dealers in So. CA than we do in our whole state! You should have no problem finding the car you want in your area.
Old 02-23-15, 03:00 AM
Richie7
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Thanks Again Everyone!

Thank you again to everyone that has replied to my original post. I appreciate it and read them all. When I do purchase my new ES350 (wish I could afford the LS!! lol) I am getting the Nav package.