ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Going to be gone for a month. Disconnect battery?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-15, 04:24 PM
sderman
Advanced

Received 89 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by lesz
After the last several posts in this thread, I was motivated to do a Google search and a little reading. The main thing that I learned was that there is a lot I don't know about batteries and about chemistry. What I also learned, however, makes me feel comfortable about using the Battery Tenders inside the garage. It would appear that danger from gas build up (and possible explosion) would be insignificant as long as the battery is not being overcharged. The circuitry inside the Battery Tender is designed to monitor the charge level of the battery and to supply a charge level sufficient to keep the battery fully charged, and, as the battery achieves full charge, the charge level is reduced to a level that maintains the full charge but that does not overcharge the battery.

Another thing that I learned is that, while the Battery Tender products are designed to monitor the battery charge level and to vary the level of charge being supplied to the battery to keep it fully charged without overcharging it, some of the less expensive trickle chargers do not do the same thing. Instead, they supply a constant low level charge, and, while that low level charge is not likely to overcharge the battery, that is not an absolute certainty. Knowing that make me feel better about spending the extra money for the Battery Tender products and about not having bought one of the less expensive trickle chargers.

If someone with better knowledge of batteries and their chemistry knows something different, I would hope to see what he/she has to say.
When the original Delco battery in my new 99 Vette died soon after the warranty period expired, I replaced it with a Yellow Optima battery and used a Battery Tender whenever I was not driving the car (that year Vette really drained batteries when in the off mode). In the winter this could be for 4-5 months each year. Well it's now been more than 12 years on the same battery - so I have nothing but praise for the Battery Tender (and the Optima batteries).

Last edited by sderman; 02-11-15 at 04:27 PM. Reason: typos
Old 02-11-15, 04:54 PM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,234 Likes on 866 Posts

Unfortunately the OP who started this thread has nowhere to plug a battery tender in and won't be using one.
Old 02-11-15, 11:26 PM
Arty101
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Bob - Good point (but I also use the Battery Tender too ).
Old 02-12-15, 06:11 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 613 Likes on 461 Posts

Originally Posted by jkeller
Your car will be just fine without disconecting the battery cable. I've been sitting in my GS messing with the settings on the nav screen when the car will turn off, enable battery saver, right when I'm running through settings options. It also does this if I leave the trunk open--it will turn off the trunk light to save the battery. In short, 1 month just leave it alone, it will start back up with no problem.:thumb up:
I wouldn't be so sure. My battery, as well as several other's, have not held a charge after sitting less than a few weeks. This has applied to both the new ES and 4GS. It's kind of a crap shoot.
Old 02-12-15, 06:22 AM
Carista
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Hey guys how much longer till the IOS app is up and running? Not the beta, but an app on iTunes?
Soon (within a few weeks, hopefully)
Old 02-12-15, 06:36 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike728
I wouldn't be so sure. My battery, as well as several other's, have not held a charge after sitting less than a few weeks. This has applied to both the new ES and 4GS. It's kind of a crap shoot.
I think that how long the battery will hold a charge when sitting and not being used can vary quite a bit depending on the temperatures in the location where the vehicle is parked. According to an on-line source that I found yesterday, batteries will lose about 35% of their power at 32 degrees, and they will have lost about 60% of their power at 0 degrees. Further, as the temperature drops, the car needs more battery power to get it started.

Thus, in a climate where the temperatures are likely to be at 50 degrees or at 70 degrees, it may be the case that leaving the vehicle for a couple of weeks won't be an issue, but, at 20 degrees, the same idle times may well cause a problem. And, if the battery's charge level is completely depleted, not only are you going to lose vehicle settings, but it is likely that the battery will sustain permanent damage and never be able to hold a charge again.

I know that, with my GX, last winter, I was snowed in for 4 days, and the temperatures during those 4 days were in the range of -10 to -20. After just those 4 days and with a brand new battery, I was barely able to get the vehicle started, and, during the extended cranking period that it took to start the vehicle, I lost vehicle settings and set off several of the vehicle's trouble codes.
Old 02-12-15, 06:57 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by lesz
I think that how long the battery will hold a charge when sitting and not being used can vary quite a bit depending on the temperatures in the location where the vehicle is parked.
For the record, my battery lost enough charge that it wouldn't start the car, but the dome lights still worked. I didn't lose any memory functions. The car was sitting in my garage, which had an average temp of about 50 to 60 degrees. It was late Sept., early Oct., if I remember correctly.

There may be one variable I'm not accounting for. My trips, prior to that 3 week sit, were all short. It's highly likely that the battery was already diminished, since the alternator wasn't able to fully charge it. If the OP's trips prior to letting it sit are long enough, he may be ok. I would still have a back-up plan in place, though.
Old 02-12-15, 09:19 AM
jkeller
Advanced

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

Your right, I've read several threads too. The battery saver is easily testable, just sit in your car with ignition in ACC, engine off, with the radio on. It should shut off at around the 30 min mark, and say something like battery saver in effect on the dash screen.
Old 02-12-15, 09:25 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Your right, I've read several threads too. The battery saver is easily testable, just sit in your car with ignition in ACC, engine off, with the radio on. It should shut off at around the 30 min mark, and say something like battery saver in effect on the dash screen.
Yes, that turns off accessories left on inadvertently. What it doesn't turn off are things like: fuel tank evap, key search and whatever else the engineers have decided to keep active. I wish there was a "vacation" switch we could turn on.
Old 02-12-15, 09:43 AM
jkeller
Advanced

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

I'm still thinking that this is a Panasonic battery issue. Do the ES and 4GS use the same model Panasonic battery??? The two cars are not assembled at the same plants in Japan. Do the IS350 have this same issue? I don't look at that forum very often.
Old 02-12-15, 10:48 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Yes, that turns off accessories left on inadvertently. What it doesn't turn off are things like: fuel tank evap, key search and whatever else the engineers have decided to keep active. I wish there was a "vacation" switch we could turn on.
I'm not sure if it's the same on the ES, but my IS manual states that there is a battery saving function:

Battery-saving function
The battery-saving function will be activated in order to prevent the electronic key battery
and the vehicle battery from being discharged while the vehicle is not in operation
for a long time.
● In the following situations, the smart access system with push-button start may take
some time to unlock the doors.
• The electronic key has been left within approximately 6 ft. (2 m) of the outside of the
vehicle for 10 minutes or longer.
• The smart access system with push-button start has not been used for 5 days or
longer.
● If the smart access system with push-button start has not been used for 14 days or
longer, the doors cannot be unlocked at any door except the driver’s door. In this case,
hold the driver’s door handle, or use the wireless remote control or mechanical key, to
unlock the doors.
I have no idea if there's a timeout function on the fuel evap test.

FWIW, I've left my IS for a few weeks at a time without issue. Note that this was in a garage, however, so not in the extreme cold.
Old 02-14-15, 10:19 AM
Tweaker
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Costco has the Battery Tender Plus for $40.
Old 02-16-15, 06:46 AM
Tweaker
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For you Battery Tender owners. I plan to leave my car in an enclosed garage for 4 months connected to the Battery Tender. The battery will be fully charged to start. Any concerns? Thanks.
Old 02-16-15, 08:25 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Tweaker
For you Battery Tender owners. I plan to leave my car in an enclosed garage for 4 months connected to the Battery Tender. The battery will be fully charged to start. Any concerns? Thanks.
No concerns.
Old 02-16-15, 08:29 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

Originally Posted by Tweaker
Originally Posted by Joeb427
No concerns.
+1
I believe that the instructions that come with the Battery Tender do advise you to periodically check to make sure that the battery is not getting hot, but I've never seen the battery getting hot, and I've been using Battery Tenders for lots of years.

Quick Reply: Going to be gone for a month. Disconnect battery?