ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Clicking noise on the front left wheel when backing up.

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-15, 01:29 PM
ALIGN
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Clicking noise on the front left wheel when backing up.

I have a clicking/banging noise when I hit the brake while I am backing up. It only does it when the brakes are cool. I tried bringing it in to the dealership, with the service tech with me, no matter what I do drive forward and back hitting the brakes hard it won't do it. But as soon as the brake cools off and try backup from a drive way you can hear it and its annoying as hell. I thought it was ball joint went bad but they assure me it wasn't the ball joint.

The service tech said the brake pad expands when it heats up. Okay fine, but how come only my front left does it.

I was thinking some spacer or clips fell off...

Any ideas?
Old 01-26-15, 06:44 PM
Arty101
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

If you've ever replaced your brake pads, then maybe you could swap out the front and rear tires. This will ensure that your wheels/tires are not the issue; and second, you can inspect the brake pads, rotors and clips. That's what I would do.
Old 01-27-15, 06:50 AM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,236 Likes on 868 Posts

Originally Posted by Arty101
If you've ever replaced your brake pads, then maybe you could swap out the front and rear tires. This will ensure that your wheels/tires are not the issue; and second, you can inspect the brake pads, rotors and clips. That's what I would do.
To add to what Arty is saying, there are supposed to be shims between the caliper and the brake pads to eliminate vibration which causes brake squeal. Sounds to me that either the caliper might be loose or maybe a shim is loose or missing. A mechanic should see this upon inspection.
Old 01-29-15, 10:01 AM
ALIGN
Driver

Thanks! I will check it over the weekend to see what's going on.
Old 02-05-15, 06:57 AM
Formula271
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a 2014 ES300h and does exactly the same thing.

I notice it regardless of temperature, however. If braking in reverse after having braked going forward, there is a "click / clunk" noise as if the pads are shifting relative to the calipers. Of course it only does it on the first application of the brakes after reversing.
Old 11-02-16, 01:02 PM
articaine
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down brakes clunk in reverse

I have a 2013 es300h, and seems to occur when I go in reverse first thing in the morning or first time I drive it after its been sitting for awhile. I got the same "it's normal" deal from the technician at the dealer. lame, make the car better.

Last edited by articaine; 11-02-16 at 01:04 PM. Reason: entered year
Old 11-07-16, 03:46 PM
ALIGN
Driver

Originally Posted by articaine
I have a 2013 es300h, and seems to occur when I go in reverse first thing in the morning or first time I drive it after its been sitting for awhile. I got the same "it's normal" deal from the technician at the dealer. lame, make the car better.
i got mine fix by the other other dealer. Pad was slipping/moving. They put some brake grease on the back of the shim and its all good now.
Old 11-07-16, 07:17 PM
5Ws
Rookie

Originally Posted by ALIGN
i got mine fix by the other other dealer. Pad was slipping/moving. They put some brake grease on the back of the shim and its all good now.
Interesting fix. I have had the same issue with my 04 corolla. Would "click" or "clunk" when I first starting going forward after stopping in reverse. It is as if the pad was re-seating. I used brake grease on those pads during assembly. I change caliper hardware each time I do a brake job.

On the other hand, I didn't hear it in others car when I used spray sticky disc quiet. *shrug* If the shims had sticky on them, I would apply the shim and the spray sticky stuff to the back of the shim, then install. If the shim didn't have stick, I'd spray directly on the back plate, then apply the shim, then spray the back of the shim, then install. If the pads didn't come with shims, I'd just spray sticky stuff to the pad back plate, then install. Never did have a squeal on a car I followed this approach to. (*Bow* Roger, the tech that taught me this). Never heard the "clunk" sound either. These were all cars in the family. Can't truly comment on customer's cars (they might have gone somewhere else if a problem occurred, loss to follow-up).

My Lexus ES 350 does the same thing you described. I still think it's the pad re-seating, just a little, after it has been torqued from stopping in reverse, then traveling forward. It def goes away after the car (brakes) warms up. I'll try the sticky spray disc quiet when I do the first brake job and see if that makes a difference.

ALIGN: Thanks for posting the solution.

Richard
Old 11-16-16, 09:21 AM
articaine
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ALIGN
Told the dealership that my neighbor had this done, they did it, but it did not fix the problem.
Old 01-12-17, 10:05 PM
prosgal73
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Whoever changes their pads first, please let the rest of us know what the permanent solution is thanks!
The following users liked this post:
USALV (02-13-17)