ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Center console - piano black or wood

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-15, 07:14 PM
Blanko
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Center console - piano black or wood

I am seeing both of these colors in the center console - I don't mean the gear stick I mean the console itself. What option package changes the actual console from piano black to wood?
Old 01-22-15, 07:45 PM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,231 Likes on 864 Posts

None that I know of at the ES level. There are aftermarket wood grain kits that one can apply to the console and other parts of the car such as door panels, air vents, etc. The piano black surface of the console inevitably gets scratched and unsightly.
Old 01-23-15, 05:59 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 611 Likes on 459 Posts

Other countries have the wood option, like China. They also have options for folding mirrors, rear seat audio and rear seat easy-out. There are probably more, but those are the ones that stand out.
Old 01-23-15, 10:41 AM
chromedome
Lexus Test Driver

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

Most of that is true, even the base ES300h in China gets folding mirrors, HID lights, extendable hip bolsters on the driver's chair, etc. but with a piano black interior with a fully black leather steering wheel. I've got scratches all over my gearshift console even though I try to be very careful. Only the most expensive variant gets wood all over and audio/climate controls in the rear armrest.

Any idea what can be used to hide those scratches?
Old 01-23-15, 12:53 PM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by chromedome
Well I saw the scratches coming when I bought the car so I installed an aftermarket wood grain kit. The kit isn't cheap, it looks beautiful, and no way it can be scratched...
Old 01-23-15, 01:38 PM
lamikela1
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by bc6152
Well I saw the scratches coming when I bought the car so I installed an aftermarket wood grain kit. The kit isn't cheap, it looks beautiful, and no way it can be scratched...
bc6152, where did you get your applique`?
Old 01-23-15, 02:09 PM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by lamikela1
bc6152, where did you get your applique`?
http://www.bitrim.com/flatkits.htm
Old 01-24-15, 05:50 AM
Blanko
Driver School Candidate

None that I know of at the ES level. There are aftermarket wood grain kits that one can apply to the console and other parts of the car such as door panels, air vents, etc. The piano black surface of the console inevitably gets scratched and unsightly.
Thanks for the feedback. Much prefer the black even if it does smudge.
Old 01-24-15, 06:56 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

Originally Posted by Blanko
Thanks for the feedback. Much prefer the black even if it does smudge.
The issue, I think, is not just smudges. The piano black's high gloss finish will show very minor surface scratches when the edges of those scratches catch the light. The way that the piano black shows scratches that would likely not be visible at all on other surfaces is similar to the way that a black car will show minor scratches that won't show up at all on vehicles of other colors.

Originally Posted by chromedome

I've tried to be as careful as I could with the console on my ES. I've only picked up one very light scratch, but even that light scratch shows up, and, depending on the light, it can drive me crazy. I have not found any way to remove/hide the scratch. I've also talked with a couple of guys who do interior repairs on vehicles, and they tell me that they don't know of any way to fix the scratches. I'm guessing that you could use a mildly abrasive polish to remove them, but you would also likely dull the area where the scratches are and make it even more unsightly.

The best solution I've come up with is to smudge a few fingerprints over the scratch.
Old 01-24-15, 09:21 AM
bc6152
Lead Lap

I wish Lexus had made it semi-gloss instead of high gloss black. You're right Les, no way one can avoid damaging the glossy surface. I would try jeweler's rouge but may dull the finish.
Old 01-24-15, 10:08 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

I wish Lexus had made it semi-gloss instead of high gloss black. You're right Les, no way one can avoid damaging the glossy surface. I would try jeweler's rouge but may dull the finish.

I've tried lots of things, including wax touch-up sticks, shoe polish, and color-matched car polishes. The problem is that the scratches are likely to be so shallow that there is little chance of being able to "fill" the scratches and to have the fill hold. The scratch that I have is so shallow that you can't even feel it when you run your finger over it. It really is very much like a polishing swirl that I might get on my black GX.

Unfortunately, the one scratch that I have extends into the area near the shifter where the labels for the various gears are. So, even if I wanted to get one of the after-market wood trim products, it would not cover that area. I think that, if I were buying a new ES now, I might try to protect the piano black area with something similar to a transparent screen protector. I'll bet that, when the cars are shipped from the factory, they are shipped with some sort of transparent protector over the piano black, and even leaving that on might be good protection.
Old 01-24-15, 06:30 PM
chromedome
Lexus Test Driver

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

My car also has piano black trim on the dash and doors and it's impossible to keep it looking pristine. If you wear a ring or a watch, a slight brush against the trim will scratch it. That trim came covered by a blue plastic film from the factory so a clear replacement or a good vinyl kit would be a good way to protect it.
Old 01-25-15, 06:06 PM
grabilsm
Rookie

I have the same issue with the piano black and the chrome trim around the shifter. I used meguars ultimate polish which removed all of the small scratches on the piano black( they are covered in similar clear coat to the outside of your car). Problem is I have deep scratches too.

I think the best solution is the use a vinyl wrap. I contacted a local shop I think I am going with the 3m brushed metallic, very nice stuff looks and feels exactly like of the trim on my friends Audi.