ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

ES 350 small overlap crash ratings

Old 01-15-15, 01:23 PM
atoyota
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by lesz
For those who are not familiar with the posting history of the OP, I'd suggest checking out some of his previous posts, but I'll provide a few summary points.

1. For the last 1 year+, he has periodically posted requesting input comparing the ES to other vehicles, such as the Camry and Accord.

2. One would have gotten the impression from those posts that he was trying to make a decision about which car to buy, but, over a year later, he evidently still has not made that decision.

3. Most of the posts would make it seem that he is somewhat confused about the facts.

4. After having started 15-20 such threads and getting requested input from members, he doesn't seem inclined to come back to the threads that he has started even to thank those who have provided the input that he has requested.

5. Considering all of this, I would suggest that it would be a good choice just to let his or her posts fall to the bottom of the board.

6. I'm confident that we will see some similar posts started by the OP in the coming months.
Thanks for the troll alert.
Old 01-15-15, 01:34 PM
atoyota
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by chromedome
The weirdest things and people show up on the Internet...

Well, there are YouTube videos of a IIHS small offset crash test for the older generation ES. That car didn't do well, the windshield rail crumpled in and the door came off.

I found this reversed video of an IIHS small offset test for a 2013 ES350. The result is a lot better than the older model but still doesn't look as good as an Infiniti Q50, Honda Accord, Benz E-class or BMW 5. The Lincoln MKS has a dire result though.
This test was only instituted by IIHS in 2012 and and as I think we all know almost all car manufactures "react" to the tests rather than anticipate them so I wouldn't expect Lexus to have had much time between 2012 and 2013 to make major changes in design to address the test results of the 2012 model. The improvement of results in the 2013 model could have as much to do with the car being now on the slightly larger Avalon frame as with any actual design changes to address the 2012 test.

Apparently the small overlap test is one the most difficult type of crashes to protect against since so much more of the impact happens on a relatively smaller part of the body and parts of the frame that just don't have as much physical mass for protection. "Small overlap frontal crashes primarily affect a vehicle's outer edges, which aren't well protected by the crush-zone structures. Crash forces go directly into the front wheel, suspension system and firewall. It is not uncommon for the wheel to be forced rearward into the footwell, contributing to even more intrusion in the occupant compartment and resulting in serious leg and foot injuries. To provide effective protection in small overlap crashes, the safety cage needs to resist crash forces that aren't tempered by crush-zone structures. Widening these front-end structures also would help."
Old 01-15-15, 07:06 PM
sharmila19
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry guys - let me clarify.

Some things said about me are right -
1. I am confused and gave not made my decision.

2. After working my whole life - full time job and full time school and boat load of loans - I am finally at a point in my life where I can afford finer things -but- my the hardships I suffered (like a lot of others in life) make me feel guilty about splurging. To be honest I am not sure if I deserve this luxury. - hence - I am asking for advice and I can't bring myself to splurge. Obviously not your problem, but I am just explaining.

3. I apologize if I don't post often- maybe I should do more to be part if the community,but I don't have much to offer as I don't have the car yet and obviously I don't know much about cars.

So that's pretty much about myself. Sorry I don't work at MB.

As for my original post - I just noticed that other cars - such as Volvo s60 passed small overlap test with flying colors. I am not saying Lexus is crap- I am just posting to learn more about this from people on the forum that obviously know more than I do.
Old 01-15-15, 07:29 PM
sharmila19
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by atoyota
Which competitors have better ratings? - especially overall ratings?

http://www.iihs.org/iihs/ratings/veh...us/es-350/2013

EDIT - I see jollick also has the IIHS link.
Volvo - s60
Old 01-15-15, 07:38 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by sharmila19
Volvo - s60
You could be suffering from analysis paralysis. Wind noise, crash test scores etc., etc. At some point in the process you're going to have to pull the trigger on a car, any car, or walk away. it sounds like you have one question/concern after another on the ES. It might not be the car for you. There are A LOT of other choices out there.
Old 01-15-15, 07:42 PM
Arty101
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Get a MB, and move on.