ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

ES 350 small overlap crash ratings

Old 01-14-15, 06:45 PM
sharmila19
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default ES 350 small overlap crash ratings

I just looked at the ratings and was surprised to find that ES 350 actually had no ratings.
This is quite disturbing, am I missing something?

I thought this car would at least be ahead of its competitors in terms of safety.

There is a video on YouTube which shows the crash from 2012, and the performance is really poor and worrisome.
Old 01-14-15, 08:01 PM
xclream
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No worries dude, you have one of the safest cars on the road.

Old 01-15-15, 05:13 AM
jollick
Racer

Received 172 Likes on 151 Posts

And the side impact.
Old 01-15-15, 05:23 AM
jollick
Racer

Pole Impact
Old 01-15-15, 05:41 AM
jollick
Racer

NHTSA Rating http://www.safercar.gov/Vehicle+Shop...vehicleId=7607
Old 01-15-15, 05:44 AM
jollick
Racer

IIHS Ratings http://www.iihs.org/iihs/ratings/veh...us/es-350/2015
Old 01-15-15, 06:24 AM
atoyota
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by sharmila19
I just looked at the ratings and was surprised to find that ES 350 actually had no ratings.
This is quite disturbing, am I missing something?

I thought this car would at least be ahead of its competitors in terms of safety.

There is a video on YouTube which shows the crash from 2012, and the performance is really poor and worrisome.
Which competitors have better ratings? - especially overall ratings?

http://www.iihs.org/iihs/ratings/veh...us/es-350/2013

EDIT - I see jollick also has the IIHS link.
Old 01-15-15, 06:30 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 608 Likes on 458 Posts

Cool links! I searched issues with the ES and this one stood out:

LINK (add vehicle details and GO)

SUMMARY:
IT WAS A SUNNY SATURDAY MORNING. AT APPROXIMATELY 9:30 AM, MY WIFE WAS DRIVING ON A RESIDENTIAL STREET AT ABOUT 35 MPH., LESS THAN ONE (1) MILE FROM HOME. SUDDENLY, THE CAR JOLTED AND RAPIDLY BEGAN TO ACCELERATE. IT KEPT INCREASING SPEED. SHE THAN HIT THE BRAKES. THE CAR WOULDN'T STOP AND CONTINUED TO INCREASE SPEED. THE CAR SPEED EXCEEDED 70 MPH. FORTUNATELY, THERE WERE NO PARKED CARS OR PEDESTRIANS. SHE THEN MOVED THE GEAR SHIFT UP INTO PARK. THE CAR STILL WOULDN'T STOP. SHE WAS APPROACHING THE INTERSECTION OF THE SERVICE ROAD TO THE LONG ISLAND EXPRESSWAY. SHE CONTINUED TO HOLD HER FOOT ON THE BRAKE PEDAL, BUT THE CAR CONTINUED TO SPEED. FORTUNATELY, THERE WERE NO ONCOMING VEHICLES. DESPERATELY, SHE PULLED THE GEAR SHIFT DOWN, SHE WASN'T SURE IF IT WAS IN NEUTRAL OR DRIVE, AND THE CAR FINALLY STOPPED. IT STOPPED ONE HALF BLOCK BEFORE THE SERVICE ROAD, WHERE SHE SURELY WOULD HAVE BEEN INVOLVED IN A SERIOUS ACCIDENT. WHEN I VISITED THE SCENE, THERE WERE TIRE SKID MARKS ALONG THE STREET.

Seems a little hard to believe.
Old 01-15-15, 06:50 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

For those who are not familiar with the posting history of the OP, I'd suggest checking out some of his previous posts, but I'll provide a few summary points.

1. For the last 1 year+, he has periodically posted requesting input comparing the ES to other vehicles, such as the Camry and Accord.

2. One would have gotten the impression from those posts that he was trying to make a decision about which car to buy, but, over a year later, he evidently still has not made that decision.

3. Most of the posts would make it seem that he is somewhat confused about the facts.

4. After having started 15-20 such threads and getting requested input from members, he doesn't seem inclined to come back to the threads that he has started even to thank those who have provided the input that he has requested.

5. Considering all of this, I would suggest that it would be a good choice just to let his or her posts fall to the bottom of the board.

6. I'm confident that we will see some similar posts started by the OP in the coming months.
Old 01-15-15, 08:04 AM
chromedome
Lexus Test Driver

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

The weirdest things and people show up on the Internet...

Well, there are YouTube videos of a IIHS small offset crash test for the older generation ES. That car didn't do well, the windshield rail crumpled in and the door came off.

I found this reversed video of an IIHS small offset test for a 2013 ES350. The result is a lot better than the older model but still doesn't look as good as an Infiniti Q50, Honda Accord, Benz E-class or BMW 5. The Lincoln MKS has a dire result though.

Old 01-15-15, 08:16 AM
jollick
Racer

Originally Posted by chromedome
The weirdest things and people show up on the Internet...

Well, there are YouTube videos of a IIHS small offset crash test for the older generation ES. That car didn't do well, the windshield rail crumpled in and the door came off.

I found this reversed video of an IIHS small offset test for a 2013 ES350. The result is a lot better than the older model but still doesn't look as good as an Infiniti Q50, Honda Accord, Benz E-class or BMW 5. The Lincoln MKS has a dire result though.
That video s labeled 2013 but the vehicle is clearly a 2012.
Old 01-15-15, 09:41 AM
chromedome
Lexus Test Driver

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

Ack, you're right, the tail lamps are from the older model. I'm surprised why the IIHS didn't do a small offset test for the current ES.

Anyway here's another offset crash for a 2014 ES350 done by a Korean agency:
Old 01-15-15, 10:14 AM
offroad200
Instructor

Received 160 Likes on 119 Posts

And another:

SUMMARY:
TL* THE CONTACT OWNS A 2013 LEXUS ES350. THE CONTACT STATED THAT WHILE DRIVING 5 MPH, THE VEHICLE SUDDENLY ACCELERATED AND THE BRAKES FAILED TO IMMEDIATELY STOP THE VEHICLE. THE VEHICLE WAS TAKEN TO THE DEALER HOWEVER, THE TECHNICIAN WAS UNABLE TO DIAGNOSED THE FAILURE. THE MANUFACTURER WAS MADE AWARE OF THE FAILURE. THE VEHICLE WAS NOT REPAIRED. THE VIN WAS NOT AVAILABLE. THE FAILURE AND CURRENT MILEAGE WAS 6,000. THE CONSUMER STATED SHE AND HER HUSBAND LEASED THE VEHICLE. HOWEVER, AFTER THE SUDDEN ACCELERATION INCIDENT, THEY BROKE THE LEASE AND RETURNED THE VEHICLE. UPDATED 05/08/14

They forgot to add "the vehicle suddenly accelerated when contact confused the brake pedal with the gas pedal." Haha
Old 01-15-15, 11:08 AM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,227 Likes on 860 Posts

Originally Posted by offroad200

They forgot to add "the vehicle suddenly accelerated when contact confused the brake pedal with the gas pedal." Haha
Yeah, this one and a lot of others that got paydays from Toyota...
Old 01-15-15, 01:01 PM
sderman
Advanced

Received 89 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by lesz
For those who are not familiar with the posting history of the OP, I'd suggest checking out some of his previous posts, but I'll provide a few summary points.

1. For the last 1 year+, he has periodically posted requesting input comparing the ES to other vehicles, such as the Camry and Accord.

2. One would have gotten the impression from those posts that he was trying to make a decision about which car to buy, but, over a year later, he evidently still has not made that decision.

3. Most of the posts would make it seem that he is somewhat confused about the facts.

4. After having started 15-20 such threads and getting requested input from members, he doesn't seem inclined to come back to the threads that he has started even to thank those who have provided the input that he has requested.

5. Considering all of this, I would suggest that it would be a good choice just to let his or her posts fall to the bottom of the board.

6. I'm confident that we will see some similar posts started by the OP in the coming months.
Perhaps he works for Mercedes...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: ES 350 small overlap crash ratings