ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

2015 ES Wind Noise

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-15, 06:15 AM
ISSHIN
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by grabilsm
I have been having wind noise since day 1. I attributed it to a few things at least on my car. I haven't 100% fixed the wind noise but I am close.

-The space in between the mirror and mirror base produced a "whistling noise at high speeds" I fixed this by stuffing a rubber gasket from home depot in the space. 100% gone

-Below is a picture from the last gen ES, on my current gen the red and blue zones are where I hear wind noise like the window is slightly open. This occurs at 55 mph+ and when it rains heavy the noise is gone which make me think there is a slight air leak. So far I have placed a thin rubber gasket in the door which reduced the noise by about 50%. I then applied electrical tape to all the window seams which stopped the noise so now I have to figure out a solution...

If you want to rejuvenate your rubber seals use Gummi-Pflege, this is a German product I have been using for years on my BMW's and its brought back rubber I was ready to replace, people live by this product. Unfortunately this didn't work for my case the car is to new for the seals to start going bad.

Also the dealer thinks I am crazy they don't hear anything I told them my old civic had less wind noise.
Do you have wind noise coming from the back area, or just the front?
Old 01-08-15, 06:28 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 613 Likes on 461 Posts

Originally Posted by chromedome
Does the ES have optional double paned windows? I've seen double pane windows on the Merc S-class that are much thicker and have a laminated center, not sure how that could fit in the ES window channel.
They do in the US, as my UL model has them.
Old 01-08-15, 06:34 AM
grabilsm
Rookie

Nope no wind noise from the back
Old 01-08-15, 06:36 AM
ISSHIN
Driver School Candidate

Nope no wind noise from the back
Has the dealership helped at all with your issue? Wondering why your fixing the issue yourself when you have a warranty.
Old 01-08-15, 06:37 AM
ISSHIN
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Mike728
They do in the US, as my UL model has them.
Are all 4 windows double paned?
Old 01-08-15, 06:39 AM
grabilsm
Rookie

I have already taken it in and I was told it was normal.

Like I said the noise goes away if its raining heavy or you get right behind another car on the highway.

My windows are not double paned.
Old 01-08-15, 06:44 AM
ISSHIN
Driver School Candidate

I have already taken it in and I was told it was normal.

Like I said the noise goes away if its raining heavy or you get right behind another car on the highway.

My windows are not double paned.
I will do what your doing if the dealer says the same thing to me. What is the green part in the pic?
Old 01-08-15, 06:49 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 613 Likes on 461 Posts

Originally Posted by ISSHIN
Are all 4 windows double paned?
Yes, all four.
Old 01-08-15, 06:50 AM
grabilsm
Rookie

The green part was if you had windshield noise, also as stated this was a picture I took from an old post about the previous gen es wind noise issues.

Also if they try and put double paned windows in your car that is not fixing that issue its putting a band-aid over it. The real issue is Lexus quality control because I have driven ES loaners that do not have this issue and some that do.

I will eventually narrow it down and write up an easy DIY fix for those of you who don't feel like going through the hassle of the dealer.
Old 01-08-15, 07:07 AM
ISSHIN
Driver School Candidate

Guess we are the unlucky ones with the problem. Made an appointment tomorrow to get it looked at, hope they have a fix.

Last edited by ISSHIN; 01-08-15 at 09:29 AM.
Old 01-08-15, 10:22 AM
Stereorob
Lexus Test Driver

Received 100 Likes on 69 Posts

this is intresting. i work at a lexus dealership. i gotta check this out
Old 01-08-15, 01:01 PM
ISSHIN
Driver School Candidate

Let me know if you find out anything
Old 01-08-15, 05:45 PM
ISSHIN
Driver School Candidate

The green part was if you had windshield noise, also as stated this was a picture I took from an old post about the previous gen es wind noise issues.

Also if they try and put double paned windows in your car that is not fixing that issue its putting a band-aid over it. The real issue is Lexus quality control because I have driven ES loaners that do not have this issue and some that do.

I will eventually narrow it down and write up an easy DIY fix for those of you who don't feel like going through the hassle of the dealer.
I believe you when it comes to the quality control. My car is brand new with under 300 miles and has lots of rattles, and now the break petal squeaks when pressed down. I bought this car thinking I was getting something great, and being my first Lexus I am not to happy with the car after a week of ownership. I am starting to regret spending so much money on a car that really isn't much better than my traded Honda Civic. The Civic had no wind noise or rattles and had over 16k miles on it. I'm just hoping that the dealership/Lexus will make things right.
Old 01-08-15, 08:33 PM
gemigniani
Intermediate

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by ISSHIN
The Civic had no wind noise or rattles and had over 16k miles on it. I'm just hoping that the dealership/Lexus will make things right.
I think humans must vary alot in their perception of noise. I travel by jet and rent cars at airports all the time and rarely notice wind noise in any of them. Road and tire noise is by far the most prominent noise to my ears in all the cars I have rented or test driven. Hondas have been especially loud...the ES350 soothingly quiet by comparison (until the tires become worn).
Old 01-08-15, 10:24 PM
Arty101
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Like Gemi stated earlier, I'd use a silicon spray on the weather seals and spray some on a cloth and wipe the edges of your windows to see if that helps seal out the wind noise. Or go to another dealer if possible for a second opinion.
The following users liked this post:
SoulDivine (04-20-19)

Quick Reply: 2015 ES Wind Noise