ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Dealer traps ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-14, 01:11 PM
Waldo44
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dealer traps ?

My wife and I, made a deal to buy a 2015 es 300h. List price $ 49,513 for 43,898.. The Lexus is
Atomic silver and has all the bell and whistle. So the question being, when we go to the Dealership to sign the paper, ?

What are the trap to avoid ( what can we aspect ) from the saleman to finally driving away with the car.

Any and all help would be great full
Old 12-22-14, 03:30 PM
bunka
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Waldo44
My wife and I, made a deal to buy a 2015 es 300h. List price $ 49,513 for 43,898.. The Lexus is
Atomic silver and has all the bell and whistle. So the question being, when we go to the Dealership to sign the paper, ?

What are the trap to avoid ( what can we aspect ) from the saleman to finally driving away with the car.

Any and all help would be great full
You shouldn't "expect" anything out of the usual. Lexus dealers are pretty straight forward. If you have a deal, you have a deal. You might be asked if you want any options like paint protection (3m clear) or perhaps a maintenance contraact for service but Lexus finance guys take "no thank you" VERY well which is more than I can say for my BMW dealership.

Last edited by bunka; 12-22-14 at 07:23 PM.
Old 12-22-14, 03:45 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Like any other dealer,when you hit the finance guy to sign the paperwork,you'll be hit with big profit pack on items for dealer and commissions for him.
Extended warranty,maintenance contract,tire/wheel insurance,paint&interior protection etc.
Old 12-22-14, 07:58 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts

You have to make sure you don't walk over to the coffee pot sitting on the table next to his desk. If you do, a snare will get you and string you up by your leg...they won't let you down until you pay for the paint sealant.

So remember...if he asks if you want coffee, and gestures to the pot on the table next to his desk...just say no
Old 12-23-14, 01:03 AM
Poppa
Instructor

Received 166 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by bunka
You shouldn't "expect" anything out of the usual. Lexus dealers are pretty straight forward. If you have a deal, you have a deal. .
One of the things I've always hated about buying a car over the years, wasn't the actual negotiation of the price, but rather the add on's, like extended warranty, etc.... but I found what Bunka said above to pretty much be true when I bought my es earlier this year... When I told the sales manager that we had reached an agreement on price and I would take the car, the only other thing I said to him was " I'll buy the car but I don't want the finance guy trying to sell me an extended warranty or any other add on's.".... he agreed and true to their word, when I met with them to do all the paperwork, it was never even mentioned... all in all a pretty straight forward experience. Enjoy your new vehicle...

Poppa
Old 12-23-14, 06:15 AM
Fillykonk
Pit Crew

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

When we bought our 350 in August the Finance department tried to entice us with the usual suspects. The one that was the most tempting was the "tire puncture" warranty. However we were able to avoid the temptation and say no to everything. As already mentioned a simple "no thank you" was all that was needed. Best wishes with your new vehicle!
Old 12-23-14, 08:18 AM
oldcajun
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

The finance guy may ask you to sign a waiver that you were offered all these useless things and refused. Nothing fancier than that. If you want a tire warranty, Discount Tire has a much better deal.

Remember - Just Say No!
Steve
Old 12-23-14, 08:39 AM
LexRuger
Pole Position

Received 186 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by Poppa
" I'll buy the car but I don't want the finance guy trying to sell me an extended warranty or any other add on's.".... he agreed and true to their word, when I met with them to do all the paperwork, it was never even mentioned... all in all a pretty straight forward experience. Enjoy your new vehicle...

Poppa
Good idea. Gonna do this whenever my next purchase is.
Old 12-23-14, 09:30 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

One of the things I've always hated about buying a car over the years, wasn't the actual negotiation of the price, but rather the add on's, like extended warranty, etc.... but I found what Bunka said above to pretty much be true when I bought my es earlier this year... When I told the sales manager that we had reached an agreement on price and I would take the car, the only other thing I said to him was " I'll buy the car but I don't want the finance guy trying to sell me an extended warranty or any other add on's.".... he agreed and true to their word, when I met with them to do all the paperwork, it was never even mentioned... all in all a pretty straight forward experience. Enjoy your new vehicle...

Poppa
We did the same thing with our recent car purchase and thought things were in place for our meeting with the finance guy. When we got in his office he launched into the pitch for wheel and tire protection. We mentioned we told the sales rep that was it and we weren't interested in any additional items. He said I have to do this. I said "really?" Give us your fast pitch then. I had a check already made out for the transaction and said I wasn't writing another one. It went fast from there but was a PITA nonetheless.
Old 12-23-14, 09:36 AM
JT4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

Poppa
^Not only do I also hate this part of the buying experience because of the tactics they use, but it also wastes my time.. This process usually adds anywhere from 45 mins to an hour to the delivery process, time that I could better spend elsewhere..

I'm definitely going to do this the next time I buy a car.. Thanks for the idea..
Old 12-23-14, 01:15 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexBob2
We did the same thing with our recent car purchase and thought things were in place for our meeting with the finance guy. When we got in his office he launched into the pitch for wheel and tire protection. We mentioned we told the sales rep that was it and we weren't interested in any additional items. He said I have to do this. I said "really?" Give us your fast pitch then. I had a check already made out for the transaction and said I wasn't writing another one. It went fast from there but was a PITA nonetheless.
A check doesn't stop them.They'll just say you can use a credit card for the add ons.
Old 12-23-14, 01:36 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by Joeb427
A check doesn't stop them.They'll just say you can use a credit card for the add ons.
You are correct, sir. If I'm not mistaken he may have said that!

I've never heard of this, but this particular finance guy was temporary at the dealership. He has a business where he travels to car dealerships throughout the midwest filling in as long as needed when there is an opening at a particular store due to turnover, health issues etc. He'd been at this dealership for 4 weeks as the regular manager was on sick leave.
Old 12-23-14, 02:30 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexBob2
You are correct, sir. If I'm not mistaken he may have said that!

I've never heard of this, but this particular finance guy was temporary at the dealership. He has a business where he travels to car dealerships throughout the midwest filling in as long as needed when there is an opening at a particular store due to turnover, health issues etc. He'd been at this dealership for 4 weeks as the regular manager was on sick leave.

I was hit the the credit card thing.

I never heard of a traveling temp finance person.
If any dealership would have one it would be mine.
My dealer is a revolving door dealer.Always new people No staff ever listed on the website.
Old 12-23-14, 02:53 PM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,233 Likes on 866 Posts

Bunka got it right. Just say no thank you and eliminate any quick pitches, time in the finance office, or anything else that wastes your time. All dealers do it and one doesn't need to be rude; I informed him that I didn't want any dealer name on the rear of my car either. On the trunk or as a license tag frame.
Just say "I'm not interested" in any extras. My dealer tried to sell me "gold" Lexus emblems.
Yukkk.

Last edited by bc6152; 12-23-14 at 02:57 PM.
Old 12-23-14, 03:49 PM
Canesguy
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I agree with all of the above posts.

I really feel that dealerships often keep you waiting to go into the finance office at a time when you are anxious to leave with your new ride. That plus infatuation with the new car makes you vulnerable to their tactics. Besides the obvious requests for add-ons, watch the final settlement sheet for ANY unexplained charges/fees. Examples include glass etching with the car's VIN number for insurance savings and security considerations, so they say. This can set you back from $800-1400, and they can say "but it was already added to the car". This excuse too should be refused, saying simply, "I do not want this and will not pay for it". Be prepared to tell them with ANY and all unwanted and extra cost items and charges that you will walk from the deal. Recently, with the same warnings given to a friend, he said he got out of the finance manager's office unscathed. Further questioning from me learned that he got taken for $400 paint sealant that they sold him on......worthless....so, watch it closely!

I have personally gotten many of these undesired add-ons deleted or even refunded, and by multiple car makes and dealerships.

Last edited by Canesguy; 12-24-14 at 04:52 PM.

Quick Reply: Dealer traps ?