ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Sirius renewal - cheap if you just care about traffic

Old 11-24-14, 01:39 PM
jakepdx
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sirius renewal - cheap if you just care about traffic

Hi All,

Just a quick heads up for those of us that participated in last year's December to Remember promotion. You probably received a mailer asking you to pay $160 to renew your Sirius XM subscription (it was included for a year). I did some research, and it turns out that the $160 does not include traffic info - that costs even more. However, if you're like me and only care about getting traffic info, you can get a year of that for about $48 by calling their main number: 877.209.5087
Old 11-24-14, 06:38 PM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 251 Likes on 198 Posts

XM Traffic didn't "know" about any local Interstate Highway bridge closures and other road issues in my area so I let it expire. As a test, I put a Garmin on my dash and its no-cost advertising-free traffic receiver rerouted me around all the local road closures that XM traffic did not know about. Maybe XM traffic works in some places but it certainly doesn't work where I live.
Old 11-24-14, 09:36 PM
gmanusmc
Lexus Test Driver

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

If you call them and tell them you'd rather not renew, you will immediately be offered a very reduced rate - when we got our IS last month, I called to update our subscription and was asked if I wanted to automatically continue the service after the trial period. I replied that we wanted to think it over. I was then offered the all access (includes Internet) plan for about $8 a month (usually 19.95). I set an alert to remind me when the promotion is about to expire and intend to cancel unless they offer another good deal. My wife listens all the time and I use my phone via Internet in my car to listen to a lot of play by play sports. This price did not include the traffic feature - not sure what they would do on that.
Old 11-25-14, 06:32 AM
yangster
Pit Crew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just got a 5 mo renewal for $25.00
Old 11-25-14, 06:50 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

I just received the $25 6 month offer last week. It's for radio only as the car (Audi) came with traffic for 4 years.
Old 11-27-14, 07:49 AM
Canesguy
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob2
I just received the $25 6 month offer last week. It's for radio only as the car (Audi) came with traffic for 4 years.
Are you sure the $25 is for 6 mos.? As Yangster said I believe it's only for 5 mos.

BTW, I understand the music royalty fee goes up as of Jan.
Old 11-27-14, 07:58 AM
Canesguy
Lead Lap

As I've posted in another thread, in my area XM Traffic is worthless. When I've been stopped or slowed in traffic and check traffic information, it tells me "slow traffic", obviously not useful.
Old 11-27-14, 08:12 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Canesguy
Are you sure the $25 is for 6 mos.? As Yangster said I believe it's only for 5 mos.

You got me curious, so I just checked the offer I got in the mail, and it's $25 for 6 months with no Activation Fee. It doesn't say anything about the Royalty Fee, but I'm sure it would apply at renewal.
Old 11-27-14, 08:23 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

You got me curious, so I just checked the offer I got in the mail, and it's $25 for 6 months with no Activation Fee. It doesn't say anything about the Royalty Fee, but I'm sure it would apply at renewal.
Since my free trial subscription expired, I've renewed with the special six month option several times. The length of that $25 renewal seems to vary from one time to the next or, perhaps, from one agent to the next. I've had at least 2 renewals for $25 for 6 months and at least two $25 renewals that were for only 5 months.
Old 11-27-14, 10:59 AM
Canesguy
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by lesz
Since my free trial subscription expired, I've renewed with the special six month option several times. The length of that $25 renewal seems to vary from one time to the next or, perhaps, from one agent to the next. I've had at least 2 renewals for $25 for 6 months and at least two $25 renewals that were for only 5 months.

Good to know because I've renewed the last 3-4 times, after threatening to cancel, at $25 for 5 mos.
I'm due next week for a renewal so I'll try for the 6 mos. offer. Thanks.

Taxes and fees, like royalty, are not negotiable.
Old 11-27-14, 12:43 PM
alpinefun
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have just renewed on-line my supscription for $25 for 6 months. Fees and taxes are extra so the total was $32.22
Old 11-27-14, 02:00 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Good to know because I've renewed the last 3-4 times, after threatening to cancel, at $25 for 5 mos.
I'm due next week for a renewal so I'll try for the 6 mos. offer. Thanks.

Taxes and fees, like royalty, are not negotiable.
With a personal sample size of only a few renewals, I'm not sure that I can be certain, but I think it may be the case that, whether you are offered the $25 or 6 months or the $25 for 5 months may depend on whether you are renewing your service while it is still active or whether you have discontinued the service and are getting a "come back" offer.
Old 11-27-14, 04:40 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

I let my subscription expire and the offer I got was a, we want you back kind of thing.
Old 11-27-14, 05:50 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

I let my subscription expire and the offer I got was a, we want you back kind of thing.
Yep. I think it may be the case that, if you call while your subscription is still active, you get the $25 for 5 months offer, but, if you cancel your subscription and call back a few days later, you get the $25 for 6 months offer.

I believe that, if you no longer have a subscription and call 1-866-408-2796 you get the agents in the department that is authorized to do the $25 for 6 months offer to former customers.

I suspect that Sirius is using the same retention model that DIRECTV uses. If you call DIRECTV and say that you want to cancel your service, you will be transferred to a retention agent, and that agent is likely to offer very nice discounts if you agree to continue your service, but, if you actually do cancel your service, within days, you will be getting calls from the department whose job it is to recover former customers, and you will be offered even bigger discounts to come back to DIRECTV.

Last edited by lesz; 11-27-14 at 06:03 PM.
Old 11-28-14, 10:55 AM
Canesguy
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by alpinefun
I have just renewed on-line my supscription for $25 for 6 months. Fees and taxes are extra so the total was $32.22
We're you still subscribed or had you cancelled and re-upped it?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Sirius renewal - cheap if you just care about traffic