ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Moon Roof Busted, while driving on the freeway

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-15, 09:00 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,017 Likes on 695 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike728
I also have State Farm and $0 deductible comprehensive coverage. I remember several years ago I was told the $0 deductible wasn't offered anymore, unless you already had it and were grandfathered in. I never really looked into it, though.
What is funny is that, when I asked, a number of years ago, about how much money I could save on my premium if I had a deductible on my comprehensive coverage, I was told that the comprehensive coverage was only available with no deductible. I guess that things have changed since that time.
Old 01-05-15, 10:05 AM
atoyota
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by lesz
What is funny is that, when I asked, a number of years ago, about how much money I could save on my premium if I had a deductible on my comprehensive coverage, I was told that the comprehensive coverage was only available with no deductible. I guess that things have changed since that time.
Interesting since generally your premium is lower the higher your deductible, not the other way around. Also, some financing/leasing companies will not finance you with anything higher than 500 or 1000 deductible.
Old 02-10-15, 03:43 PM
CooperAR
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sunroof explosion

This happen to me to as I was driving down the interstate. I have a Lexus 2013 es 350 and if not for the cover I can not imagine what I would have done.
Old 02-10-15, 10:13 PM
Arty101
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Car or home, my premiums are always lower with higher deductibles. I have a choice of deductibles with both my collision and comprehensive coverage. I usually go to a high deduct at the risk of paying a higher out of pocket for reduced premiums.

Last edited by Arty101; 02-10-15 at 10:16 PM.
Old 02-11-15, 06:08 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 678 Likes on 505 Posts

Originally Posted by Arty101
Car or home, my premiums are always lower with higher deductibles. I have a choice of deductibles with both my collision and comprehensive coverage. I usually go to a high deduct at the risk of paying a higher out of pocket for reduced premiums.
I can only assume, that in SF your insurance would be high no matter what your deductible is. I have $0 Comp. and $500 Col. My yearly premium is in the low $500's.

So, this is the 2nd sunroof to shatter on an ES (in the forum). It seems strange, until you look further into the phenomenon. There was a link in the IS thread where it went into detail on how it occurs. I don't believe the ES has a greater risk of the occurrence than any other vehicle. It still sucks, though.

Here's the Link

Last edited by Mike728; 02-11-15 at 06:14 AM. Reason: Added link
Old 02-11-15, 06:33 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

While there can be good reason to increase your deductible, there is also a good reason why, especially for the collision insurance, you might not want the deductible to be too high.

If you are involved in an accident that is the fault of the driver of another vehicle, what would typically happen is that you would start by getting your vehicle repaired and pay the deductible for your collision insurance. Then, your insurance company would make a claim against the insurance company of the other driver, and, when it recovered damages, you would be reimbursed in the amount of the deductible that you paid. If, however, your deductible is very high and if your insurance company is not on the hook for much or any of the damages, you will be on your own with regard to trying to recover damages from the other driver's insurance company. Being able to recover those damages on your own will be much harder and have a lower chance of success than if your insurance company was working to recover those damages. Thus, there is some advantage, if you are involved in an accident with another driver, to having your insurance company have a financial stake in the final settlement.
Old 02-11-15, 11:25 PM
Arty101
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by lesz
While there can be good reason to increase your deductible, there is also a good reason why, especially for the collision insurance, you might not want the deductible to be too high.

If you are involved in an accident that is the fault of the driver of another vehicle, what would typically happen is that you would start by getting your vehicle repaired and pay the deductible for your collision insurance. Then, your insurance company would make a claim against the insurance company of the other driver, and, when it recovered damages, you would be reimbursed in the amount of the deductible that you paid. If, however, your deductible is very high and if your insurance company is not on the hook for much or any of the damages, you will be on your own with regard to trying to recover damages from the other driver's insurance company. Being able to recover those damages on your own will be much harder and have a lower chance of success than if your insurance company was working to recover those damages. Thus, there is some advantage, if you are involved in an accident with another driver, to having your insurance company have a financial stake in the final settlement.
In California, we are a no fault state. I'm not sure if that applies. I believe your own insurance covers damage to your own vehicle.

Personally I wouldn't go for a deductible I can't cover out of pocket anyway.
Old 02-12-15, 05:30 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

In California, we are a no fault state. I'm not sure if that applies. I believe your own insurance covers damage to your own vehicle.

Personally I wouldn't go for a deductible I can't cover out of pocket anyway.
I don't live in California, but I did some quick reading just now, and, from the information I found on-line, it would appear that the no fault provisions of California law apply to personal injuries and not to property damage.

Regardless of that, what I said earlier would still apply. When your insurance company pays you, under collision coverage, to repair damage to your vehicle, any deductible on your policy applies. On the other hand, when the other driver's insurance is paying to repair your vehicle, the payment will be for the full amount of the damages and there is no deductible that would apply. Again, if your insurance company is on the hook financially, they have motivation to recover their payout and the deductible that you paid from the other insurance company. If your insurance company is not on the financial hook because your deductible was very high, they have no motivation to get money from the other driver's insurance company and to help you recover the deductible that you paid when your car was repaired.