ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Nitrogen charge for new car?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-14, 03:44 PM
SLH
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bgaerttner
Studies show that Nitrogen fluctuates 2 pounds for every 3 that regular air does
Reports of studies or scientific results, made without citation or attribution, are often just not true. One "study" that I read a few years ago proved that 87% of all statistics on the internet are just made up. (Including that one, I think, :-)

For an actual physics experiment, with photos to prove the results, you might want to take a peek at: https://powertank.com/truth.or.hype/

Turns out, Nitrogen and Oxygen pressures both change with temperature, at exactly the same rate.
Old 10-30-14, 06:57 PM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,236 Likes on 868 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by SLH
Reports of studies or scientific results, made without citation or attribution, are often just not true. One "study" that I read a few years ago proved that 87% of all statistics on the internet are just made up. (Including that one, I think, :-)

For an actual physics experiment, with photos to prove the results, you might want to take a peek at: https://powertank.com/truth.or.hype/

Turns out, Nitrogen and Oxygen pressures both change with temperature, at exactly the same rate.
Ha! This is why I like this forum so much. So many smart people educating all of us...
Old 10-30-14, 10:49 PM
gmanusmc
Lexus Test Driver

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by SLH

Frankly, i wasn't motivated enough to look into it that deeply since I don't plan on paying anyone to put nitrogen in my tires. I visited a few auto sites like Tire Rack, Edmunds, and a few others whose name I don't recall - they were all pretty consistent in stating that there isn't much to gain by inflating tires with nitrogen. I know we all need to judge whether the info we get on the net is legit or not, but I'm satisfied that it's ok to use the regular stuff that contains 78% nitrogen with air pressure checks periodically along the way.

Thanks for the link - I'll be sure to check it out.

Edit: The information in the powertank article is very similar to what is said on the sites I referred to above. It's amazing to me that with all this published info, folks are still willing to pay for this.

Last edited by gmanusmc; 10-30-14 at 11:13 PM.
Old 10-31-14, 02:29 AM
Poppa
Instructor

Received 166 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike728
Cooling? To what, like 60? I would think you're too far south to worry about that.
Mike, I hear ya about being in the south... after growing up in St. Louis I never thought i would think it gets cold down here in Louisiana... but darn If I havent changed my mind over the years... not uncommon to see 30's and even a few nights in the 20's.... that's COLD in louisiana... back to the nitro thing....someone mentioned physics / studies etc.... don't know a thing about that but I do know this... when I did not have nitro in my wife's 4 runner tires and temp dropped, the air pressure in her tires would drop a little.. when I had nitro put in, that stopped... and since I'm occasionally out of town, I don't have to listen to my wife complain about her tires being a little low til I get home... because god forbid, she won't stop and put a little air in them... so for me, that's 24 bucks well spent... just sayin.

Poppa
Old 10-31-14, 08:19 AM
gmanusmc
Lexus Test Driver

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Poppa
Mike, I hear ya about being in the south... after growing up in St. Louis I never thought i would think it gets cold down here in Louisiana... but darn If I havent changed my mind over the years... not uncommon to see 30's and even a few nights in the 20's.... that's COLD in louisiana... back to the nitro thing....someone mentioned physics / studies etc.... don't know a thing about that but I do know this... when I did not have nitro in my wife's 4 runner tires and temp dropped, the air pressure in her tires would drop a little.. when I had nitro put in, that stopped... and since I'm occasionally out of town, I don't have to listen to my wife complain about her tires being a little low til I get home... because god forbid, she won't stop and put a little air in them... so for me, that's 24 bucks well spent... just sayin.

Poppa
Ok Poppa - I'm with ya on that - in that case, I'd put out the 24 bucks too, lol.

On cold weather in the south, during my military career, we were stationed in North Carolina for a number of years and we got 20s and 30s in the winter - we even got 24 inches of snow once, so I know what you mean.