ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

2014 ES350 Front License Plate Mount(Bracket)

Old 10-27-14, 01:34 PM
johnxkrn
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2014 ES350 Front License Plate Mount(Bracket)

Hello,

When I got my ES350, the car didn't have the front license plate mount(bracket) and now since I got my license plates, i am looking to install it but couldn't find any sellers that sell them..

I called into Lexus and they said special order only and it costs $80.. Was expecting $50 at the most..

Did anyone purchase front license plate bracket? I don't mind drilling a hole ..

Thank you
John
Old 10-27-14, 01:57 PM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,227 Likes on 860 Posts

We in Pennsylvania do not use front plates. I noticed on my '13 that there are dimples ostensibly where the holes should be drilled. I did get a front tag holder with my car that is somewhere in my garage. Now I don't know if it was gratis from the dealer or from Lexus. In any case, mounts are available online for as low as $10.00. I found one on Ebay that includes a frame. There are many available from auto parts houses online for far less than $80.00.
A word of caution: Be careful when drilling into the front bumper so as not to activate the air bags.

Check this one out:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LEXUS-FRONT-...-/320964123197

Last edited by bc6152; 10-27-14 at 02:02 PM.
Old 10-27-14, 02:33 PM
atoyota
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by johnxkrn
Hello,

When I got my ES350, the car didn't have the front license plate mount(bracket) and now since I got my license plates, i am looking to install it but couldn't find any sellers that sell them..

I called into Lexus and they said special order only and it costs $80.. Was expecting $50 at the most..

Did anyone purchase front license plate bracket? I don't mind drilling a hole ..

Thank you
John
The front plate is required in TX, but interestingly enough, the dealer did not automatically install the front bracket. They left it in the truck of the car until the new plates arrived. Then when I went to dealer to pick up plates they inquired it I wanted the front plate and bracket installed - or not. They said even though TX requires it, some people choose not to install it.I had them install it as I just don't want to offer a police officer or state trooper looking for any reason to make their quota to have a reason to stop me and write a citation. IMO, If CA requires the front plate the dealer should install the bracket and plate.
Old 10-27-14, 03:03 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

Originally Posted by atoyota
IMO, If CA requires the front plate the dealer should install the bracket and plate.
I agree. I would have expected that the dealer would have/should have installed the front license plate bracket or, at least, asked you if you wanted it installed, and that would be especially true if the vehicle was purchased in a state where front license plates are legally required.
Old 10-27-14, 03:09 PM
Kijug
Intermediate

Received 98 Likes on 72 Posts

After I got my plates (Plano, TX) I just pulled into the service area at the dealer (Park Place Lexus) and when the service advisor came over I told him I got a new ES and need the plates installed on the front. So he got a technician and poof it was done and I left. No charge, no hassle.
Old 10-27-14, 10:17 PM
Arty101
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Kijug
After I got my plates (Plano, TX) I just pulled into the service area at the dealer (Park Place Lexus) and when the service advisor came over I told him I got a new ES and need the plates installed on the front. So he got a technician and poof it was done and I left. No charge, no hassle.
Exactly the same for any dealer in Calif since they're required by law. Your Service Advisor should have them installed at no charge.
Old 10-28-14, 05:17 AM
Nelexus88
Intermediate

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts

Make sure the dealer (or whoever) uses the correct length bolts for the front license plate. If they are more than 10-12mm long they will gouge into the painted bumper. Here is a link to a previous discussion on that problem.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es3...bolt-size.html

Last edited by Nelexus88; 10-28-14 at 05:21 AM.
Old 10-28-14, 08:15 AM
txes
Lead Lap

You don't have to drill the front bumper in order to mount a front plate.

Here is my 2013 with a front plate using the factory supplied bracket. I have a spare bracket so I included a pic.

All I did was attach the plate to the bracket with screws and nuts. Then the bracket will just clip to the lower grille. It will not come off unless you push on the bracket and pull down to release the clips.

A car wash will not move it one bit.

It will not cause any damage to the paint.

John

Old 10-28-14, 10:55 AM
kxaz145
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My 2014 ES had Dealer Commercials on front and back license plate mounts. I received a speeding ticket several years ago and the LEO stepped around to the front of the car to write down the plate number. He was extremely irritated when there wasn't one there and he had to walk to the back of the car. He said "get that front plate mounted, we're going to start cracking down on that". I told him it was in the trunk and I would gladly show it to him, but that one of the holes had stripped out causing the plate to hang down. I was advised to take it to a mechanic...

JimB
Old 10-28-14, 02:29 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,495 Likes on 1,799 Posts

I also agree that the dealer should have provided and installed a front plate bracket for you at no charge, since you are in a location that requires a front plate. I would escalate it at the dealer and with Lexus before I paid $80 for one. Have to be ordered?!? They should install them on every car that comes into their inventory.

Originally Posted by bc6152
A word of caution: Be careful when drilling into the front bumper so as not to activate the air bags.
Just FYI, this is actually not something that you have to worry about. The air bag system is a sophisticated piece of machinery that actually uses accelerometers in concert with devices that sense crumpling sheetmetal to determine when to deploy the airbags based on crash forces. Drilling into the bumper, beating on the car with a baseball bat, etc is not going to cause the airbags to deploy.
Old 10-28-14, 02:44 PM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,227 Likes on 860 Posts

Originally Posted by SW13GS
I also agree that the dealer should have provided and installed a front plate bracket for you at no charge, since you are in a location that requires a front plate. I would escalate it at the dealer and with Lexus before I paid $80 for one. Have to be ordered?!? They should install them on every car that comes into their inventory.

Just FYI, this is actually not something that you have to worry about. The air bag system is a sophisticated piece of machinery that actually uses accelerometers in concert with devices that sense crumpling sheetmetal to determine when to deploy the airbags based on crash forces. Drilling into the bumper, beating on the car with a baseball bat, etc is not going to cause the airbags to deploy.
I didn't know that and read somewhere that drilling could activate the airbags. Probably on a front mount tag holder...
Old 10-28-14, 02:50 PM
Arty101
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Bob- I'm wondering if drilling the front bumper might damage an airbag system, rather than activating the system?
Old 10-28-14, 02:58 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bc6152
I didn't know that and read somewhere that drilling could activate the airbags. Probably on a front mount tag holder...
Naa, its often assumed that the airbags are easier to deploy than they are. It takes a confluence of situations measured at the same time to get them to deploy. Its really almost impossible to deploy them by accident.

Originally Posted by Arty101
Bob- I'm wondering if drilling the front bumper might damage an airbag system, rather than activating the system?
I would highly doubt so. The front bumper is designed to be drilled number one, and its designed to absorb impacts at lower speeds obviously without causing the airbags to be deployed. Behind the exterior urethane cover (the painted pretty part) theres a tough styrofoam topped bumper bar, you're not drilling anywhere near anything that has to do with the airbags or any other vehicle system.

You need impact forces, deceleration forces, occupied seats, and speed readings all run through the airbag's ECU to deploy the airbags. Its not something that can easily happen by accident.
Old 10-28-14, 04:38 PM
johnxkrn
Driver School Candidate

<<<@!1!@>>>

I live in Los Angeles, CA so i preferred to have license plate on front to avoid any troubles haha..

I think i found that similar one on ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2013-2014-LEXUS-ES-ES350-FRONT-BUMPER-COVER-LICENSE-PLATE-BRACKET-TRIM-OEM-NEW-/281475566389?_trksid=p2054897.l4275
would this be it?

I would love to go get it from the dealer but the dealer i bought my car from is about 100miles round trip away and i would just invest 25 dollars to order online.. haha

and thanks everyone for the help!! except that "airbag myth/fact".. scared the ***** out of me..
Old 10-28-14, 05:03 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Really, don't worry about the airbag lol

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2014 ES350 Front License Plate Mount(Bracket)