ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Ultra Luxury cushion extender

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-14, 10:04 PM
bdon
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ultra Luxury cushion extender

Has anyone had experience with the ES ultra luxury package with the cushion extender for the driver seat? Does it improve seat comfort or make for better ride or is it hype? thanks, B
Old 10-18-14, 02:08 AM
SLH
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

One of my pet peeves is that car seats seem to be made for extremely short people, to the point that they are unsuitable for people of normal height. I am 5'10", a "normal" height for an American.

The regular car seats are barely long enough to sit on. They provide support only under the buttocks, with none at all under the thighs. I find them very uncomfortable, even for short periods. Sitting on them is like sitting on a small dining chair in a cheap restaurant that wants to turn the tables quickly.

The longer seat cushion extension supports the thighs nicely. I find it comfortable for an hour at a time. (I have not yet taken any long trips in this car.) The longer cushion is more like a living-room chair -- made for sitting comfortably for several hours.

To be comfortable, a chair cushion should extend past the middle of the thigh. The regular seats don't. This one does. With the regular seat, I absolutely would not have bought this car.
Old 10-18-14, 05:10 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 611 Likes on 459 Posts

Definitely not hype. I'm 6'4" and without it, the seat bottom is way too short, as in most cars. It's one of my favorite features!
Old 10-18-14, 05:11 AM
don1
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SLH
One of my pet peeves is that car seats seem to be made for extremely short people, to the point that they are unsuitable for people of normal height. I am 5'10", a "normal" height for an American.

The regular car seats are barely long enough to sit on. They provide support only under the buttocks, with none at all under the thighs. I find them very uncomfortable, even for short periods. Sitting on them is like sitting on a small dining chair in a cheap restaurant that wants to turn the tables quickly.

The longer seat cushion extension supports the thighs nicely. I find it comfortable for an hour at a time. (I have not yet taken any long trips in this car.) The longer cushion is more like a living-room chair -- made for sitting comfortably for several hours.

To be comfortable, a chair cushion should extend past the middle of the thigh. The regular seats don't. This one does. With the regular seat, I absolutely would not have bought this car.
I agree with SLH. The cushion extension was part of the Technology Package on the Canadian ES 300h and was one of the reasons I bought that package. I usually use the extension at full length for maximum comfort and I'm also 5'10".
Old 10-18-14, 07:14 AM
Fillykonk
Pit Crew

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

I find the seat bottom cushion to be too short as well and I'm 5' 8". I understand this to be a problem with Toyota vehicles in general. When we bought our 09 Odyssey we cross-shopped it with Sienna and noticed the difference immediately as Honda's have longer cushions. However that being said I have compensated for the shorter cushion by slanting my seat back cushion further. This seems to help but will test it better on a 7-hour drive next month.
Old 10-18-14, 07:27 AM
atoyota
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by bdon
Has anyone had experience with the ES ultra luxury package with the cushion extender for the driver seat? Does it improve seat comfort or make for better ride or is it hype? thanks, B

I have it and YES , if you are a taller person, you will appreciate it.
Old 10-18-14, 07:38 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

I would be interested in knowing whether the length of the seat cushion on standard driver's seat is the same length as the seat on the UL vehicles with the extender retracted. When I bought my ES and sat in both UL and Luxury package vehicles, I didn't actually do any measurements, but it felt like the UL seat, when not using the extender, might have been a bit shorter than the Luxury package seat.
Old 10-18-14, 12:42 PM
gemigniani
Intermediate

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Fillykonk
I understand this to be a problem with Toyota vehicles in general.
Only been a problem during the past decade of cost cutting at Toyota. In the 1990's - especially the late 80's - early 90's - even Camry's had generously sized and padded seat bottoms. Nowadays Toyota doesn't offer any models under $50K that have generously sized and padded seat bottoms.
Old 10-21-14, 07:07 AM
MDames2
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm 5'11" and I find the cushion extender makes no difference in comfort at all. I never use it.
Old 10-21-14, 07:29 AM
jollick
Racer

Received 173 Likes on 151 Posts

I am 5' 8" and use it. It feels very comfortable and I am glad I got it.
Old 10-21-14, 08:05 PM
mspearl95
Instructor

Received 107 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by MDames2
I'm 5'11" and I find the cushion extender makes no difference in comfort at all. I never use it.

Interesting. I'm 6'1" and find it invaluable. Without it, I'm a lot less comfortable on long drives. The extra couple of inches really lends a lot of extra support.
Old 10-22-14, 05:07 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,500 Likes on 1,803 Posts

I have it in both front seats on the GS, use it fully extended all the time. I'm in an ES350 loaner right now without it and definitely notice how short the seat cushion is.
Old 10-25-14, 10:31 AM
bdon
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't seem to be many or any ES 300h with ultra-luxury package to check out the seat cushion extender--is this a problem or do you need to order this car if you want one?
Old 10-25-14, 10:46 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

Originally Posted by bdon
Don't seem to be many or any ES 300h with ultra-luxury package to check out the seat cushion extender--is this a problem or do you need to order this car if you want one?
I think that the answer to your question is going to vary depending on region. Different regions seem to get larger numbers of vehicles with certain package and equipment combinations than other regions get. In my area, for example, the dealers seem to get very few ultra luxury ES vehicles, either the ES350 or the ES300h. In other areas, the dealers seem to get a lot more of them.

Also, the availability of vehicles with particular package and equipment combinations seems to vary from one point in the model year to another depending on what combinations the factory is set up to be producing at any given point in the model year.
Old 10-25-14, 12:07 PM
chromedome
Lexus Test Driver

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

Pretty random distribution of options globally, I'd say. My bare bones ES300h on the other side of the pond comes with a driver's seat extender, although the seats are in fake leather and there's no memory function. I'd love to throttle the monkey who made these weird options choices and left out the good stuff on base cars.

Quick Reply: Ultra Luxury cushion extender