ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Roof wrap gloss black $250

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-14, 05:03 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

Originally Posted by Arty101
You know, I saw your images on my iPad, and they were rightside up. Now on my desktop, they're upside down. I think you're onto something. Strange.
The strange thing is that I thought I could copy the pictures, rotate them 180 degrees in Photoshop, and, then, re-post them so that others could see them right-side-up. Even when I did that and prepared a post, when I previewed the post, they still were upside down.
Old 09-25-14, 05:16 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

I'm often up for a challenge. I copied the pictures in Photoshop, rotated them 180 degrees, and stripped out all of the metadata before re-posting them. Now, I wonder if they will be upside down when viewed on an iPad.
Attached Thumbnails Roof wrap gloss black 0-image.jpg   Roof wrap gloss black 0-image3.jpg   Roof wrap gloss black 0-image2.jpg  
Old 09-25-14, 08:06 PM
Arty101
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Well seeing the pics on my iPad, everything looks right side up again.
Old 09-26-14, 05:48 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 611 Likes on 459 Posts

Originally Posted by Vincent05
I will have mine extend to over the 1/4" molding to be flush with the rear and front windshield.
If you're going to do this, I would agree with you. Now that the pictures are right side up, it does look incomplete. Oh, and nice color choice, Vincent!
Old 09-26-14, 07:01 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Mike728
If you're going to do this, I would agree with you. Now that the pictures are right side up, it does look incomplete. Oh, and nice color choice, Vincent!
I think I would agree. If the rubber moldings were black, as they are with many available ES colors, it would be fine having the wrap just go up to the moldings, but, with the white moldings, I think it would look much better if the black lined up with the edge of the windshield and rear glass.
Old 09-26-14, 10:00 AM
Vincent05
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mike728
Thanks!! I see you have the same color also lol. Got a appointment for thursday next week. They are charging me $230 for roof and antenna. I want other areas wrap also but they have to see it first. I am thinking front bumper between the grilles, bottom half of spoiler or lip, rear bumper under the black molding and side rockers.
Old 09-28-14, 01:09 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,500 Likes on 1,803 Posts

It definitely needs to extend over the moldings. if you look at the pano roof car the glass goes all the way over.

Roofs look good wrapped, but only when its done right.
Old 09-28-14, 01:45 PM
Max707
Lexus Champion

Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by SW13GS
It definitely needs to extend over the moldings. if you look at the pano roof car the glass goes all the way over.

Roofs look good wrapped, but only when its done right.
I did not want it over the molding, looks fake IMHO. But also I did not buy a GS350 because it looks awkward in its design, where the ES350 flows. But each his own?
Old 09-28-14, 02:47 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

LOL, if you can't handle people's opinions, then don't post pictures of something you've done on the internet. FWIW, I didn't buy the GS over the ES because I thought it looked better, I bought it because its much nicer inside and drives better. I think the 6ES is a great looking car...as is the 4GS.

You're trying to make it look like it has the panoramic roof, which you haven't achieved IMO. The panoramic roof doesn't have that gap between the frame rail and the actual roof panel, that immediately jumps out at me (and others, apparently) as not looking finished or original.

This is what it should look like:

I realize this is a 2012, but it illustrates the point:

I think if it were done right it would look great, as it is I'm not a fan. This is why I haven't done this to my GS, In the GS even if you were to wrap or paint that weld seam trim it still doesn't line up with the glass just because of the way the car is designed. Because of that I don't think the car looks good with a wrapped roof.

Last edited by SW17LS; 09-28-14 at 02:55 PM.
Old 09-28-14, 06:02 PM
Max707
Lexus Champion

Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by SW13GS
LOL, if you can't handle people's opinions, then don't post pictures of something you've done on the internet. FWIW, I didn't buy the GS over the ES because I thought it looked better, I bought it because its much nicer inside and drives better. I think the 6ES is a great looking car...as is the 4GS.

You're trying to make it look like it has the panoramic roof, which you haven't achieved IMO. The panoramic roof doesn't have that gap between the frame rail and the actual roof panel, that immediately jumps out at me (and others, apparently) as not looking finished or original.

This is what it should look like:

I realize this is a 2012, but it illustrates the point:

I think if it were done right it would look great, as it is I'm not a fan. This is why I haven't done this to my GS, In the GS even if you were to wrap or paint that weld seam trim it still doesn't line up with the glass just because of the way the car is designed. Because of that I don't think the car looks good with a wrapped roof.
The funny thing about the Internet, people say shat on the Internet that they would never say in person. I posted a pic to give others ideas of what can be done. I said it looks "like" pano roof. I did not ask for anyone's opinion if they "liked" it or some a-holes post about liking it if done right. If I showed you my car in person I doubt you would of made the comment. If you do make that type of comment in person to someone you don't know you must be a bad mother F-er, with no class or you have gotten your *** kicked on a regular basis. In the future try and show some class.
Old 09-28-14, 07:30 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Max707
The funny thing about the Internet, people say shat on the Internet that they would never say in person. I posted a pic to give others ideas of what can be done. I said it looks "like" pano roof. I did not ask for anyone's opinion if they "liked" it or some a-holes post about liking it if done right. If I showed you my car in person I doubt you would of made the comment. If you do make that type of comment in person to someone you don't know you must be a bad mother F-er, with no class or you have gotten your *** kicked on a regular basis. In the future try and show some class.
If I had seen the car in person, I would have recommended you black out the weld strip trim also, yes. I wouldn't have walked up to you cold in a gas station and said something, but posting a picture in a forum is akin to saying to me while I'm pumping gas next to you "hey, what do you think of my roof mod?" Had you asked me that...I'd have said exactly what I said "I like that look, but it would look much better if that trim were blacked out also". Its a constructive comment because its something easily achieved...how is that any different from saying someone's car needs a drop when they post pictures of wheels? Thats a lot harder than wrapping two pieces of flexible trim and it comes up all the time. I'm not the only person that made this recommendation if you read the thread, the comment was made by Vincent05, Mike728 and lesz before I ever posted.

You don't have to take it personally, and it wasn't meant to be insulting to you...but when you post something on the internet you need to be prepared for both positive and negative comments. I think your mod would look great if it included the molding.

Last edited by SW17LS; 09-28-14 at 07:52 PM.