ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

$300.00 oil change?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-14, 11:42 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

Originally Posted by Amphibulus
I know exactly what you means, mine does the exact same noise, I will get it checked. Like a "POuut" noise. At first I thought it could be the shock, but I'm now confident it's the brake.
Just to be clear, the issue that I had with the brake system making noise was with my GX, not my ES, and the GX had about 40,000 miles on it, which made it past due for changing out the fluid.

Since the topic of this thread is the cost of oil changes (and other services), I would suggest that, if there is a need to discuss brake issues, a new topic should be started. My only reason for even mentioning brakes in this thread was to point out that there is really very little scheduled maintenance needed on the ES for the first several years of ownership.
Old 09-22-14, 06:35 AM
wasjr
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by williakz
So have you crunched the numbers and figured out:

1) what your plan actually cost you (must add in finance charges)
2) what dealer would have cost you if you were paying out-of-pocket
3) what you could have paid using 3rd party service providers?
As I mentioned what I failed to do was review the detailed maintenance requirements and assumed (no assume jokes please) more maintenance would be required over the five year period. I based the maintenance on the requirements of previous owned vehicles, plus the potential for price increases. I factored in oil changes plus tire rotation and balance every 5k, one transmission fluid change, a couple of brake fluid changes, etc., some of which it turns out is not needed. As an aside, my 2011 Acura also has less frequent maintenance than my previous two MDXs. It has a computer "Maintenance Minder" that tells you when and what maintenance is needed (which is typically 8k+ miles as opposed to regular 5k intervals.

I did consider the $68 of finance charges that would be incurred. And as for third party, I have typically been able to negotiate discounts at dealers and it is worth some extra to my business to get a loaner vs sitting 2-3 hrs waiting on service. Plus this dealer is very convenient to my home (actually next door to the Acura dealer) and it is interesting to try a new vehicle occasionally.

The ES300h purchase came about rather quickly and I had not even considered a prepaid maintenance plan until mentioned by the finance guy. While I had researched the vehicle, in October 2012 I looked at the cars, but the dealer was still very proud of them. While we needed to replace my wife's 06 Volvo S80, we were not in a great hurry so I told the salesman that if they wanted to sell a car under invoice to call me. On December 27, 2012 he called and said that to meet a sales target they would, so the next day I took my wife, she liked the car, and we bought it.
Old 09-22-14, 08:55 AM
Arty101
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Be happy you got your 300h under invoice, especially for during the first year roll out. So they may have made a little back on your maintenance plan, but I think you did very well.
Old 09-22-14, 12:48 PM
williakz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by wasjr

...what I failed to do was review the detailed maintenance requirements and assumed ... more maintenance would be required over the five year period. I based the maintenance on the requirements of previous owned vehicles, plus the potential for price increases.
Thanks for the explanation. Points up how important it is to keep current on ALL aspects of the automotive industry. For such large purchases (or timed rentals) made in environments designed to disadvantage customers, it's only common sense to get as much information as possible BEFORE engaging with the "finance guy" at the dealership.
Old 09-22-14, 06:49 PM
LexRuger
Pole Position

Received 186 Likes on 117 Posts

No matter how good of a deal it sounds. The only word that comes out of my mouth is no. I hate the ones that try to justify and explain the advantages of warranty add-ons, pre-paid BS. Makes you wanna just cancel the sale and walk out.
Old 09-22-14, 07:33 PM
williakz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by LexRuger
No matter how good of a deal it sounds. The only word that comes out of my mouth is no. I hate the ones that try to justify and explain the advantages of warranty add-ons, pre-paid BS. Makes you wanna just cancel the sale and walk out.
That's funny - no, no, no, NO, NO!!!

There's surely not much of benefit to be had by the buyer in the little dance with the "finance guy." That said, you have a bit more bargaining power then you may realize to secure decent pricing on the items that ARE of interest to you. Things such as discounted protective film (bra), tire and wheel insurance, and finish protection (dent removal) can be of use to the wary, and well-prepared, buyer. The leverage, other than killing the deal entirely (which can only be used sparingly, if at all), centers on the financing with LFS. Since incentives generally only apply to deals financed through LFS (such as loyalty or competitive discounts), you are immediately granted SIGNIFICANT power over the finance guy. Here's why: LFS spiffs the dealer for delivering you to their tender mercies to service the loan for the vehicle. However, the loan agreement almost always carries NO PREPAYMENT PENALTY for you, but LFS will yank the dealer's spiff if you don't make at least 3 payments on the LFS loan. Therefore, you have the ability to "motivate" the finance guy by holding his loan origination fee in your hands. Carefully done, you should be able to get him to severely discount one of those packages you've decided you want. Worst case scenario, he won't budge so you payoff the LFS loan with a much cheaper one from PenFed or your local credit union and pocket the interest saved.
Old 09-23-14, 12:05 PM
Chardo
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My local Goodyear advertises full synthetic oil change (Valvoline) and tire rotation for $49.95. Guy says they have 0W-20. Any problem doing that instead of dealer 20k service? No known problems for dealer to fix, and lease will be ending 4 months later.
Old 09-23-14, 01:04 PM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,236 Likes on 868 Posts

Originally Posted by Chardo
My local Goodyear advertises full synthetic oil change (Valvoline) and tire rotation for $49.95. Guy says they have 0W-20. Any problem doing that instead of dealer 20k service? No known problems for dealer to fix, and lease will be ending 4 months later.
Sounds like a good deal to me as long as you can trust them.. Go for it and save the service receipts.
Old 09-25-14, 07:14 AM
wasjr
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

Confirmed yesterday that cost of 20k service is $200 and cost of 15k service is $300. Apparently this is how they pay for the breakfast & lunch served in the lounge, as well as the owner dinners.
Old 09-25-14, 07:23 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 614 Likes on 462 Posts

Originally Posted by wasjr
Confirmed yesterday that cost of 20k service is $200 and cost of 15k service is $300. Apparently this is how they pay for the breakfast & lunch served in the lounge, as well as the owner dinners.
Why would the 15k service cost more than the 20k? 15k is pretty much just a tire rotation. 20k is that, plus an oil change.
Old 09-25-14, 08:01 AM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,236 Likes on 868 Posts

Originally Posted by Chardo
You should give that guy a kiss because after reading your post I called 4 Goodyear dealers in the Philadelphia area and every one charged $55.00 for five (5) qts of synthetic - additional for the extra amount required, with NO tire rotation.
Old 09-25-14, 08:31 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

do engine and cabin filters yourself, takes 5 minutes. Tire rotation you can do at Discount Tire for $20-25 here
Old 09-25-14, 08:34 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

Originally Posted by bc6152
You should give that guy a kiss because after reading your post I called 4 Goodyear dealers in the Philadelphia area and every one charged $55.00 for five (5) qts of synthetic - additional for the extra amount required, with NO tire rotation.
When I had my 2006 ES, I replaced the tires at the local Goodyear dealer. The purchase of tires at the Goodyear dealer includes lifetime rotations and balancing, but, even when I've brought my GX, which still has the original Michelin tires, in for an oil change, they have rotated the tires at no charge. But, even if they charged me for a tire rotation, the cost of the oil change and rotation would still be less than half of what it would be at the Lexus dealer.

Originally Posted by Mike728
Why would the 15k service cost more than the 20k? 15k is pretty much just a tire rotation. 20k is that, plus an oil change.
There is absolutely no reason why the 15,000 mile service should cost more than the 20,000 mile service. And $300 is ridiculous. At the local Toyota dealer, I'm sure that I could get everything included in the recommended 15,000 mile service for my ES, including all of the "checks", for about $29.99.
Old 09-25-14, 05:03 PM
Arty101
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

They're still trying to make up for some of the money they lost from the sales.
Old 10-03-14, 02:46 PM
ProfessorP
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For my 2013 ES300h that I bought in Feb 2013....At the Fremont Toyota in Northern California, a synthetic oil change is $55 for Lexus cars (a bit less for Toyota cars). I usually go to a top-rated indie nearby who charges $50. Tire rotations - after the 2 free maintenance services at Lexus, I bought a $60 rotation and balancing service from America's Tire, which is lifetime coverage for the tires. I figured I would rotate the tires 6 to 8 more times (40K to 50K miles) before having to change tires. Used the same indie to do my 30K service - a la carte services since I didn't need a tire rotation and I changed my own cabin filter. Cost for the 30K service - $200, which included the oil change and changing out fluids that I ordinarily wouldn't need to change so fast - brake and transmission. At some point I'll need to change the smart key battery - need to find out how much a new battery costs.

Quick Reply: $300.00 oil change?