ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

$300.00 oil change?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-14, 05:21 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

Originally Posted by williakz
Excellent analysis! Your conclusions are also right on the money AFAIC, with the possible exception of the extended factory warranty. I consider paying for a pro-rata refundable extended FACTORY warranty makes good sense as both insurance against major malfunctions and as an essential aid to private sale (maximum value) of the vehicle. For those who will trade in the vehicle to a dealer, the option is much less compelling.
For several years, I brokered car sales. In addition setting up the opportunity for my customers to buy a car at a very attractive price, I also could sell the buyers extended warranties. I couldn't believe what the mark-up was on those extended warranties. I typically sold my customers extended warranties for about 20% or less than the dealer price on those extended warranties, and I still made $50-100 on each one that I sold. In good conscience, I couldn't sell them for any more. I also felt compelled to be up front and tell them that, during much of the time period covered by the extended warranty, the vehicle's factory warranty covered anything that might go wrong, and I made sure that I pointed them to the fine print of the extended warranty so that they could see that there were plenty of parts, components, etc. that were excluded from coverage. Then, if they still wanted an extended warranty, I sold it to them. Many changed their minds and decided not to buy the extended warranties, and those who still bought them did so, in most cases, only because the price was so much less than what the dealers were charging.
Old 09-19-14, 05:38 PM
williakz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Yup, trick is to buy it online the day before vehicle is 4 years old and/or at 49,999 miles on the odometer. Worst is paying full boat on day one, mile one and FINANCING the purchase to boot. OUCH!
Old 09-19-14, 06:46 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by lesz
I was just checking the ES maintenance schedule for the first 50,000 miles/5 years. During that time, the maintenance schedule calls for oil changes every year or 10,000 miles and tire rotations every 6 months or 5,000 miles. Other than that, everything else called for in the those 5 years or 50,000 miles fits into the category of "inspections", and during that time, there are no major fluid changes or servicing of vehicle components. Thus, I figure that, during that time, I'll spend about $200 for oil changes (at the Toyota dealer at about $50 per oil change), and I'll spend about $80 on tire rotations (which can, with no loss of tire tread life, be done at 10,000 mile intervals). I'm certainly capable of doing things like checking to see if the floor mats are properly positioned and checking remaining tread on the tires myself. And, the Toyota dealer, when they do the oil changes and tire rotations, routinely checks things like the brake pad wear, fluid levels, checks of steering and suspension components, etc. Thus, I figure that, during the first 5 years of ownership, I'll spend less than $300 on scheduled maintenance.

There is no question that, if dealers can sell car buyers things like maintenance packages and extended warranties, they can turn what would appear, at first, to be a "good deal" for the buyer into a great profit generator for the dealership. If the dealer can sell the customer maintenance plans, extended warranties, appearance protection packages, dealer installed options, nitrogen tire fills, etc., that dealership can sell the car for a price that is truly below its cost and still end up with one of the best sales, from a profit point of view, for the dealership.
I just realized that, in what I said above, I inadvertently left out one maintenance item that I will be paying for during the first 5 years of ES ownership. I believe that the brake fluid should be replaced at 30,000 miles, and that will cost about $100 (at the Toyota dealer). So, during those 5 years, I'll likely be spending a little less than $400 on recommended maintenance.
Old 09-19-14, 08:20 PM
williakz
Lexus Test Driver

Such "replacement" is suspect. What they ACTUALLY do is suck out the "old" fluid from the reservoir with a turkey baster, then refill it with new brake fluid. The extent to which this represent a "brake fluid replacement" is in the mind of the beholder. Note that the "old" fluid still occupies the brake lines, cylinders, pistons, etc. IOW, save your c-note!

Last edited by williakz; 09-19-14 at 08:57 PM.
Old 09-19-14, 10:13 PM
ES300NZ
Lead Lap

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

a turkey baster has no business being near a car, cept the back seat.
Old 09-20-14, 06:23 AM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,231 Likes on 864 Posts

Such "replacement" is suspect. What they ACTUALLY do is suck out the "old" fluid from the reservoir with a turkey baster, then refill it with new brake fluid. The extent to which this represent a "brake fluid replacement" is in the mind of the beholder. Note that the "old" fluid still occupies the brake lines, cylinders, pistons, etc. IOW, save your c-note!
Hmmmm. I didn't know that. Here I thought that the whole system was drained and replaced...
Old 09-20-14, 07:27 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by bc6152
Hmmmm. I didn't know that. Here I thought that the whole system was drained and replaced...
My understanding is that, over time, brake fluid can become contaminated with moisture. When the brake fluid is replaced, even if 100% of the old brake fluid is not flushed out of the system, most of it and, therefore, most of the moisture is removed.

I also know that, with my GX, I had intended to have the brake fluid replaced at the oil change around 35,000 miles, but, I didn't notice that changing the brake fluid didn't get put on the work order, and it was not done. The service adviser (at the Toyota dealership) told me that I could wait another hour and have it done or I could just wait until my next oil change, which is what I chose to do. At somewhere around 38,000 miles, the brake system started to become somewhat noisy, but, when I had the fluid changed at my oil change around 40,000 miles, the noise "magically" disappeared. Thus, I'm a believer that there is value in changing the brake fluid at intervals at least somewhat close to what the manufacturer recommends.
Old 09-20-14, 10:37 AM
williakz
Lexus Test Driver

At somewhere around 38,000 miles, the brake system started to become somewhat noisy, but, when I had the fluid changed at my oil change around 40,000 miles, the noise "magically" disappeared. Thus, I'm a believer that there is value in changing the brake fluid at intervals at least somewhat close to what the manufacturer recommends.
Care to expand on the nature of the "noisy brake system" and the relationship between the noise and the "old" brake fluid? Does the noise increase with the amount of moisture in the fluid? Is it caused by rust in the lines, cylinders, and/or pistons? Aren't the above stainless steel anyway? Help!!!
Old 09-20-14, 11:28 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Care to expand on the nature of the "noisy brake system" and the relationship between the noise and the "old" brake fluid? Does the noise increase with the amount of moisture in the fluid? Is it caused by rust in the lines, cylinders, and/or pistons? Aren't the above stainless steel anyway? Help!!!
I'm not sure that I have the ability to expand or to explain better what was happening. Immediately after applying the brakes, I could hear a somewhat grinding sound that seemed to be saying "something needs better lubrication than it is getting", and immediately after the brake fluid was replaced, the brakes were, once again, completely silent. I went back and talked with the mechanic who changed the brake fluid, and I asked him if he had done anything else, like cleaning the rotors, making adjustments, etc., and he assured me that he had done nothing except for changing the brake fluid.
Old 09-20-14, 11:58 AM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,231 Likes on 864 Posts

I'm not sure that I have the ability to expand or to explain better what was happening. Immediately after applying the brakes, I could hear a somewhat grinding sound that seemed to be saying "something needs better lubrication than it is getting", and immediately after the brake fluid was replaced, the brakes were, once again, completely silent. I went back and talked with the mechanic who changed the brake fluid, and I asked him if he had done anything else, like cleaning the rotors, making adjustments, etc., and he assured me that he had done nothing except for changing the brake fluid.
This description would tend to indicate that more than just the brake fluid reservoir is being changed out...
Old 09-20-14, 12:05 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by bc6152
This description would tend to indicate that more than just the brake fluid reservoir is being changed out...
I have no idea what specific components were making the sound. All I know is that the sound was consistently there before the brake fluid was changed, and it disappeared completely immediately after the brake fluid was changed. And, again, the mechanic assured me that he did absolutely nothing except to change the brake fluid.
Old 09-20-14, 12:22 PM
williakz
Lexus Test Driver

Magical thinking. Very dangerous...
Old 09-20-14, 12:52 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Magical thinking. Very dangerous...
I probably haven't described the sound I was hearing very well, and my use of the word "grinding" to describe it probably wasn't the best choice of words. In any case, it wasn't my intention to hijack this thread, and I don't wish to do so any more than has already been done. The point of the earlier post was simply that, through the first 5 years of ownership of an ES, there should not be need to spend more than a few hundred dollars on regularly scheduled maintenance.
Old 09-20-14, 02:13 PM
williakz
Lexus Test Driver

Agree entirely with your conclusion regarding maintenance programs. The larger point is that one must apply rigor and logic to produce a meaningful analysis. You did so regarding the maintenance issue; you did not regarding the brake fluid replacement/noisy brake system issue. We live and we learn...
Old 09-21-14, 11:10 AM
Amphibulus
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know exactly what you means, mine does the exact same noise, I will get it checked. Like a "POuut" noise. At first I thought it could be the shock, but I'm now confident it's the brake.

Quick Reply: $300.00 oil change?