ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

2013 ES350 battery dead again!

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-14, 04:28 AM
Halfmoon
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

"Lexus was called and are AWARE of the problem on several vehicles and it may be a computer part randomly turning on thus causing the battery to drain. Lexus said they wont have a fix for several months."

How do they know they will have a fix if they don't know what the problem is?

That's not acceptable to me.

Here is another way to file a complaint.

http://www.nhtsa.gov/Vehicle+Safety/Recalls+&+Defects

Old 09-21-14, 06:27 AM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,230 Likes on 863 Posts

Originally Posted by sapd911
I am going to see what the Lemon Law team at Lexus tells me, then I will proceed from there!
This is kind of like the fox guarding the hen house. If it were my car I would be in touch with a law firm that works on contingency and gets paid by the vehicle manufacturer if successful, and gets no money if they lose the case. Either way, you don't pay anything.

It's in Lexus' interest not to proceed and lose a lemon law case involving their product due to there being other owners with this issue. I would not accept "several months" and hooking up a battery tender each night - a real PITA. Sounds to me that they're handing you a load of BS and hoping you'll accept it...
Old 09-22-14, 08:13 AM
grogman
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Same boat

I have a '14 es350 with 11k miles with the same problem. Two weeks ago I woke up to a dead battery. Jumped it, went to the Lexus dealer and battery tests fine. Wrote off as door left ajar, etc..

Today, same drill, so it was just tested for parasitic draw, and all ok there. They are looking deeper at the battery for a bad cell, etc.. Will post results.
Old 09-22-14, 08:38 AM
Cerulean99
Driver School Candidate

Perhaps it's your phone that is draining the battery.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...b-battery.html

It's conceivable that if a cell phone can interfere with the key fob and drain the battery, then a cell phone can interfere on the other end and drain the car. The cell phone probably has much better range than the key fob, so it may be triggering things from your bedroom to your garage (since you stated they were next to each other).

Try locating your cell phone as far away and see if the battery drains.
Old 09-22-14, 08:42 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 611 Likes on 459 Posts

I wonder if they put a bunch of GS batteries in the ES. They've been seeing this for a couple years. My ES now sits in the garage for, what can be a couple weeks at a time. I've seen no issue, as of yet.
Old 09-22-14, 08:45 AM
Arty101
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Could be the Lexus battery supplier with a poor QC.
Old 09-22-14, 08:46 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Cerulean99
It's conceivable that if a cell phone can interfere with the key fob and drain the battery, then a cell phone can interfere on the other end and drain the car. The cell phone probably has much better range than the key fob, so it may be triggering things from your bedroom to your garage (since you stated they were next to each other).
Your cell phone only communicates with your car, via Bluetooth. When the car is off, so is Bluetooth.
Old 09-22-14, 08:56 AM
Cerulean99
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Mike728
Your cell phone only communicates with your car, via Bluetooth. When the car is off, so is Bluetooth.
Yes, but the key fob does not work on bluetooth. So if a cell phone can drain the battery on a key fob, it can also interfere with the same signal on the other end.
Old 09-22-14, 08:59 AM
grogman
Driver School Candidate

Quick follow up - dealer believes it could be a bad ECU. Dealer is opening ticket with corporate in CA and will get a replacement part in to swap. Problem is that replacement parts for such a new car are scarce as they are used for New production.

this should be fun, will keep you posted.
Old 09-22-14, 09:02 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Cerulean99
Yes, but the key fob does not work on bluetooth. So if a cell phone can drain the battery on a key fob, it can also interfere with the same signal on the other end.
Sorry, not buying it.
Old 09-22-14, 10:15 AM
Nelexus88
Intermediate

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts

I have a theory that the problem is being caused by stray radio signals not coming from the Lexus keys. These stray signals may be present near the Lexus owners home but not at the dealers shop thus they cant duplicate the problem. The 434mhz frequency used by Lexus and other cars is also used by lots of radios and household equipment. Im not an electrical engineer but a Google search of 434mhz interference brought up this link which is quite interesting. http://www.doityourself.com/forum/co...ce-causes.html
Old 09-22-14, 12:00 PM
sapd911
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Halfmoon
"Lexus was called and are AWARE of the problem on several vehicles and it may be a computer part randomly turning on thus causing the battery to drain. Lexus said they wont have a fix for several months."

How do they know they will have a fix if they don't know what the problem is?

That's not acceptable to me.

Here is another way to file a complaint.

http://www.nhtsa.gov/Vehicle+Safety/Recalls+&+Defects

thanks I just filed a complaint.
Old 09-22-14, 08:40 PM
tea
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

a lot of 3IS owners are having the same problem. they don't know what's going on either

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...d-threads.html
Old 09-23-14, 01:01 AM
SLH
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Been reading about this... The Toyota/Lexus smart key system operates on the 315 Mhz frequency band. That band is used for RFID devices. Technically, the smart key is an active RFID device.

The system uses encryption to prevent spoofing. Whenever the car detects a signal on the right frequency, the car computer performs the encryption algorithm to validate that the signal is from the authorized key fob... It looks like any signal on the right frequency will make the car wake up and spend some energy to attempt the validation algorithm.

Here's the interesting part -- Lots of devices use that same 315 mhz frequency, not just smart keys. Some of the other devices include garage door openers, wireless security alarm systems, and various wireless computing devices.

Just a hunch -- try parking ten yards away from the house... If that avoids the problem, then look around the garage for wireless devices that might be the source of the interference.
Old 09-23-14, 04:14 AM
sapd911
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SLH
Been reading about this... The Toyota/Lexus smart key system operates on the 315 Mhz frequency band. That band is used for RFID devices. Technically, the smart key is an active RFID device.

The system uses encryption to prevent spoofing. Whenever the car detects a signal on the right frequency, the car computer performs the encryption algorithm to validate that the signal is from the authorized key fob... It looks like any signal on the right frequency will make the car wake up and spend some energy to attempt the validation algorithm.

Here's the interesting part -- Lots of devices use that same 315 mhz frequency, not just smart keys. Some of the other devices include garage door openers, wireless security alarm systems, and various wireless computing devices.

Just a hunch -- try parking ten yards away from the house... If that avoids the problem, then look around the garage for wireless devices that might be the source of the interference.
hmm maybe its maybe my garage door opener.

Quick Reply: 2013 ES350 battery dead again!