ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Things you wish you knew before you bought?!

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-14, 08:14 PM
roxy208
Pit Crew

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
It doesn't do that on my RX or IS, though admittedly I can't speak to the ES though I assume the implementation is the same. I'm always thankful of that. It'd be beeping all the time! Every day I drive in places where I'm making a left turn, with the signal on, with a car to my left (think two left turn lanes at a light).
It does that on my RX. If a car is in your blind spot and you turn on the signal in that direction it beeps.
Old 12-15-14, 06:50 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Originally Posted by roxy208
It does that on my RX. If a car is in your blind spot and you turn on the signal in that direction it beeps.
Interesting. I am so thankful it doesn't do that on mine. I wonder if it's a setting. What year is your RX?
Old 12-15-14, 09:34 AM
qlaval
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One thing I would have like to know:
Parchment perforated leather interior get stain easily if you wear jeans...
My 2 front seats have some blueish stains and my car isn't even 1 y/o...
If I had new I would have chose the black interior...

Anyone with the same problem?
Have you found a good cleaning solution?
Old 12-15-14, 12:43 PM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,234 Likes on 866 Posts

Originally Posted by qlaval

Ultima Interior Shampoo Gel takes blue jean stains right out amongst other scuffs and soil.

www.autogeek.net
Old 12-15-14, 10:36 PM
Arty101
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by qlaval

I have parchment leather too, wear blue jeans and haven't noticed any staining. Maybe my eyes aren't attuned to seeing it, but as Bob recommeds, get a hold of the Ultimate Shampoo Gel to clean it. I'd also get a good leather conditioner.
Old 12-16-14, 10:37 AM
oldacura
Driver School Candidate

I wish I had been aware of the navigation system and other lockouts while driving. Also that the voice recognition system is abysmal.
I don’t know if I would have not got the car but these two, err, features are abominable
Old 12-16-14, 11:00 AM
oldacura
Driver School Candidate

One more really bad one which would have guided me away from the car:
Mildew Smell From Air Vents. You can read about this on several Lexus forums.
Old 12-16-14, 01:42 PM
qlaval
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by bc6152
Ultima Interior Shampoo Gel takes blue jean stains right out amongst other scuffs and soil.

www.autogeek.net
Thanks!

Will try that for sure.
Old 12-16-14, 02:25 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

Originally Posted by Arty101
I have parchment leather too, wear blue jeans and haven't noticed any staining. Maybe my eyes aren't attuned to seeing it, but as Bob recommeds, get a hold of the Ultimate Shampoo Gel to clean it. I'd also get a good leather conditioner.
Likewise. After reading others complain about the dye transfers from blue jeans, I started checking my parchment seats regularly. Even though I wear jeans almost exclusively, I can't see a hint of stain on the parchment seats after about a year and a half of ownership of my ES.

I wonder if some brands of jeans are more prone to that kind of transfer than are others. It could be the case that my cheap Wrangler jeans just don't have enough dye in them for it to transfer to anything else.

Originally Posted by oldacura
One more really bad one which would have guided me away from the car:
Mildew Smell From Air Vents. You can read about this on several Lexus forums.
If you get into the habit of switching the climate control system into the "fresh air" mode, I'll bet that you won't be dealing with any stale air smells.

It used to be that vehicle climate control systems generally defaulted to the fresh air mode, but, now, they are set up to use the "recirculate" mode more often. With the ES, for example, the system defaults to recirculate when the outside temperature is above about 75. By having the climate control system default to using the recirculate mode, Lexus can get a marginally higher fuel efficiency rating from the EPA, but the downside of using the recirculate mode is that doing so can allow stale air to build up inside the passenger compartment.

I wish that Lexus had designed the climate control system so that, if it is set manually to use the fresh air mode, it would stay in the fresh air mode until/unless it was manually changed. Unfortunately, if I want to use the fresh air mode, I need to switch it to that mode every time the vehicle is started, but I've gotten into the habit of doing so, and I have not, even in the warmest and most humid conditions, gotten even a hint of a stale air smell inside the vehicle.
Old 12-16-14, 03:25 PM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,234 Likes on 866 Posts

Well I wear Wrangler's and Levi's and still get the dye transfer. Who's to say? In any case it can be removed with the appropriate cleaner. I would certainly agree that the Parchment interior is one that requires extra attention due to it's light color, but I don't regret choosing it.
Old 09-16-15, 01:33 PM
oldacura
Driver School Candidate

what is/are dynamic grid lines please. thanks.
Old 09-16-15, 01:34 PM
oldacura
Driver School Candidate

I get the blue stains
Old 09-16-15, 01:39 PM
oldacura
Driver School Candidate

Same problem.
Old 09-16-15, 05:27 PM
corpnupe85
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default No power folding mirrors

I think it is abysmal that a $40,000 vehicle does not have power folding mirrors.
Old 09-23-15, 05:20 PM
andywoods
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought my 2013 es300h in 2012 with limited hybrid options the things I found wrong where not enough to stop the purchase.

The biggest complaint. The remote start does not work from a distance. The doors unlock only when you touch them. Both problems I solved with a viper after market alarm.

I also found it sluggish. I have since changed my mind. The change came from learning how to drive it. I am used to big V8 where you slam the pedal an fell the G's. With the ES300h is more like driving a slot car. Learn to control applying smooth pressure, you will find you can accelerate faster then most cars in this class. where most cars have a drop off as they go through the gears. This car has continuous acceleration.

It take practice, but learning how the car works and you to can dusta audi A3. It is fun when folks think because your in a hybrid they can mess with you, you bet them the look is priceless. I can't wait till the upgrade kits come out. I

Quick Reply: Things you wish you knew before you bought?!