ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Things you wish you knew before you bought?!

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-14, 10:13 AM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,306 Likes on 909 Posts

Originally Posted by Youriah
She's parked outside...

Will let you know.
Congratulations and Good Luck with the new car.
Old 09-18-14, 10:55 AM
mjmj911
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bc6152
I'm not completely sure exactly what you are saying in your post, but the Lexus ES350 electronic key fobs DO discriminate between owners and thus, seat settings when entering the vehicle. There are three (3) separate settings.
Interesting, I think I need to go back into the owners manual and do some more reading. I am pretty sure I looked everywhere for instructions and could not find anything.

When you say 3 separate settings, you are reffereing to Seat, Mirrors, BT?
Old 09-18-14, 11:20 AM
Arty101
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

and climate control setting.
Old 09-18-14, 11:52 AM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,306 Likes on 909 Posts

Originally Posted by mjmj911
Interesting, I think I need to go back into the owners manual and do some more reading. I am pretty sure I looked everywhere for instructions and could not find anything.

When you say 3 separate settings, you are reffereing to Seat, Mirrors, BT?
No. Each electronic fob has separate settings such as seats, steering wheel, mirror, etc. But there are three (3) electronic fob buttons on the driver's side door. #1 - driver, #2 - add'l driver, #3 - add'l driver. So, 3 slots for fobs with 4 settings for each fob. Seats, mirrors, BT, climate control.

I don't know about anyone else, but I only got two (2) fobs with my car...

You can PM me if you need more help.
Old 09-18-14, 11:55 AM
sapd911
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wished the blind spot monitoring actually beeped instead of just flashes.
Old 09-19-14, 05:55 PM
GrumpyDave
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by sapd911
Wished the blind spot monitoring actually beeped instead of just flashes.
I could be wrong, but I think I recently discovered it DOES beep IF you turn on your turn signals in the direction where the object is detected. Maybe I imagined that. Can anyone else confirm?
Old 09-19-14, 06:34 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,625 Likes on 1,035 Posts

Originally Posted by GrumpyDave
I could be wrong, but I think I recently discovered it DOES beep IF you turn on your turn signals in the direction where the object is detected. Maybe I imagined that. Can anyone else confirm?
It doesn't do that on my RX or IS, though admittedly I can't speak to the ES though I assume the implementation is the same. I'm always thankful of that. It'd be beeping all the time! Every day I drive in places where I'm making a left turn, with the signal on, with a car to my left (think two left turn lanes at a light).
Old 11-30-14, 12:59 PM
patcic
10th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Terrible suspension

I just leased a 2014 ES 350 Luxury package with nav and cooled seats for no money down other than first month payment, 27 months and 23,000 miles per year for $650 per month. It was a great deal and I test drove the car on smooth asphalt and it felt fine. Once I drove it home and around town for a few days my 2013 Fusion rode better than this truck!

My god, it's awful. I feel every crack in the pavement and on the cement expressways the thing jiggles up and down constantly. I would trade it back for my Fusion in a heartbeat. If anyone wants to take over my lease go to: http://www.swapalease.com/lease/details/?salid=892215
Old 11-30-14, 03:31 PM
atoyota
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by patcic
I just leased a 2014 ES 350 Luxury package with nav and cooled seats for no money down other than first month payment, 27 months and 23,000 miles per year for $650 per month. It was a great deal and I test drove the car on smooth asphalt and it felt fine. Once I drove it home and around town for a few days my 2013 Fusion rode better than this truck!

My god, it's awful. I feel every crack in the pavement and on the cement expressways the thing jiggles up and down constantly. I would trade it back for my Fusion in a heartbeat. If anyone wants to take over my lease go to: http://www.swapalease.com/lease/details/?salid=892215
As others have mentioned in the threads where you've made identical posts, check your tire pressure.
Old 12-01-14, 11:46 AM
Niscur32
Driver School Candidate

How bad the standard premium audio is. We didn't turn up the volume to loud on the test drive but once we owned it we found it lacking. It's not a deal breaker as we have a little one due very soon but when mom or dad are alone we won't be able to rock out with this setup. Might upgrade at some point as it seems very simple to do from what I have found.
Old 12-01-14, 06:33 PM
chromedome
Lexus Test Driver

Received 49 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Niscur32
How bad the standard premium audio is. We didn't turn up the volume to loud on the test drive but once we owned it we found it lacking. It's not a deal breaker as we have a little one due very soon but when mom or dad are alone we won't be able to rock out with this setup. Might upgrade at some point as it seems very simple to do from what I have found.
I thought the standard audio system was mediocre when I first got the car, but the sound improves a lot over time. There's plenty of bass through the door woofers even though there's no sub and the tweeters do a decent job with treble. I would bump up the bass and mids, put the fader to the front.
Old 12-06-14, 05:50 AM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 355 Likes on 245 Posts

I drive an LS 460 and at some point I'm thinking about getting myself into the ES 350. I check in here from time to time to see how people are enjoying theirs - it seems to be ok - I just love the way the thing looks. I would never consider buying an ES before the body change, but now it's a whole new ball game.

I do love my LS, but the main thing I fear is the cost to own one of these things as they age. I can do most of the repairs myself and the members on the LS board are awesome at pointing you in the right direction for discounted parts, but still the LS is very very expensive to fix.

I think the power plant on the ES is one of the more reliable drive trains out there - I can easily and affordably get parts for it and fix it myself. The suspension is pretty practical and easy to fix as well (the LS 460 has 8 front control arms that cost upwards of 4k dollars to replace).

I have driven the new Camry and I thought the power was pretty smooth and adequate (it didn't have the torque of the LS, but I certainly could live with it). I don't exactly enjoy dumping premium fuel in the LS...although the thing does amazingly average 26-27 mpg's for me...I'm pretty sure the ES will be my next car.
Old 12-06-14, 11:43 PM
chromedome
Lexus Test Driver

Received 49 Likes on 45 Posts

The ES300h may have half the power of the awesome LS460 but getting 40+ mpg consistently is great. Creeping around in town in electric mode is a nice taste of the future for those of us who don't find a Tesla feasible

The hybrid drive train could be a very expensive fix once the 8-year warranty runs out... I'm hoping it'll be OK, based on Prius and Camry Hybrid reliability figures.
Old 12-07-14, 12:32 PM
bunka
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by chromedome
The ES300h may have half the power of the awesome LS460 but getting 40+ mpg consistently is great. Creeping around in town in electric mode is a nice taste of the future for those of us who don't find a Tesla feasible

The hybrid drive train could be a very expensive fix once the 8-year warranty runs out... I'm hoping it'll be OK, based on Prius and Camry Hybrid reliability figures.
Toyota has the Hybrid battery stuff down solid. Our current '06 Highlander Hybrid Limited is about eight & a half years old and the Hybrid battery is still working VERY WELL will no visable decrease on storage capacity so I don't think you will be running into any needed "FIX" in 8 years on the ES300h. So much so that we are working on picking one up ourselves so we will also be along for that ride over the next 8 years.
Old 12-14-14, 08:01 AM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 355 Likes on 245 Posts

Originally Posted by chromedome

Interesting...I never even considered going for the hybrid. I just figured I could get somewhere around 30 mpg with the v6/6 speed tranny. The thing that is so alluring to me is going back to regular fuel (I have to put super in the LS 460). Still I really can't complain about the gas mileage of the 260 - I average 26.5 mpg out of a 390 hp v8.

I'll definitely look into the hybrid when it's time to upgrade - Toyota has the hybrid formula down pat - they even sold their technology to Nissan. Think about that...that stuff doesn't happen.

Quick Reply: Things you wish you knew before you bought?!