ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

IS350 --> NX or ES ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-14, 07:00 PM
caudlek
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default IS350 --> NX or ES ?

I'm thinking of retiring my 2006 IS350 .... is been a good run, but time for something new. I'm looking at the NX tomorrow, but the ES might be better value.

The 2014 ES's are having a $4500 incentive right now. How would guys compare the ride of the latest ES, compared to the ES from 5 or 6 years ago (the last i actually drove)?

What about the new ES in general? Like it? Hate it?

KC
Old 09-15-14, 12:24 PM
mspearl95
Instructor

Received 108 Likes on 89 Posts

does your dealer have an NX already? I was told they aren't coming out until october.

As far as the ES goes, I really enjoy mine(2013 UL), but am finding that i really need something with more cargo space. I'll be looking at the NX when it comes out, or mb an RX if that ends up being too small. I wish there was a Lexus equivalent of the Venza.

Last edited by mspearl95; 09-15-14 at 03:52 PM.
Old 09-15-14, 01:56 PM
jhbhatia
Rookie

This is my second Es I've owned. I wouldn't say things have progressed greatly - just modest improvements over the years (as expected). Its not night-and-day improvements. You will get better deals on the ES versus the NX. Since you are looking at changing from your IS350 because you are bored - imo you'll be happy with a NX since it will look newer for a while.
Old 09-15-14, 03:41 PM
bunka
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by caudlek
I'm thinking of retiring my 2006 IS350 .... is been a good run, but time for something new. I'm looking at the NX tomorrow, but the ES might be better value.

The 2014 ES's are having a $4500 incentive right now. How would guys compare the ride of the latest ES, compared to the ES from 5 or 6 years ago (the last i actually drove)?

KC
Where is the information on the $4,500 incentive on the ESs? I have heard others getting around that much off but according to the website and a dealer I talked to, there is nothing other than regular negotiations (3 to 6% off the HYBRIDS)

PS - Pricing isn't even (officially) available for the NX so good luck finding one on a lot. I think the only people who have been able to "review" them were all prototypes ...so far.

Last edited by bunka; 09-15-14 at 08:02 PM.
Old 09-16-14, 10:49 AM
ALIGN
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I bought my ES I use Costco pricing so that saved me $2500 off the sticker price plus they gave me the $1000 incentives.

Under Costco's terms, their pricing can be combined with manufacturers rebate if there is any. Do some research first about the manufacturer's incentives because dealers tends to hide this from the buyer.

Assuming the $4500 incentive is real then using Costco you can save a lot without even haggling.
Old 09-16-14, 11:05 AM
bunka
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ALIGN
When I bought my ES I use Costco pricing so that saved me $2500 off the sticker price plus they gave me the $1000 incentives.

Under Costco's terms, their pricing can be combined with manufacturers rebate if there is any. Do some research first about the manufacturer's incentives because dealers tends to hide this from the buyer.

Assuming the $4500 incentive is real then using Costco you can save a lot without even haggling.
I have PM'd caudlek for references. I fear that none actually exist and that he simply used others comments of the discounts that they had gotten and incorrectly referenced those achievements as an "Incentive". I would LOVE to be proven wrong as that would escalate my efforts as I have lines on two different ES300h's at two different dealerships but neither is willing to go any lower than $3,300 off their asking price. I have a personal relationship at one dealer where I can buy the car @ $100 over cost and then also can take advantage of any formal Toyota/Lexus "incentives" so if this is true, it will save me a boatload of cash and push up the purchase to the next week from my prior planning which was closer to the end of the year.
Old 09-16-14, 11:39 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

Originally Posted by bunka
I have PM'd caudlek for references. I fear that none actually exist and that he simply used others comments of the discounts that they had gotten and incorrectly referenced those achievements as an "Incentive". I would LOVE to be proven wrong as that would escalate my efforts as I have lines on two different ES300h's at two different dealerships but neither is willing to go any lower than $3,300 off their asking price. I have a personal relationship at one dealer where I can buy the car @ $100 over cost and then also can take advantage of any formal Toyota/Lexus "incentives" so if this is true, it will save me a boatload of cash and push up the purchase to the next week from my prior planning which was closer to the end of the year.
Note that incentives from Lexus can vary widely from one region to another.
Old 09-16-14, 02:19 PM
Arty101
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by ALIGN

I haggled to get the same deal as you, but on a 2013 300h, with no incentive. The hybrid was more difficult to negotiate at the time. Maybe that's changed with time.
Old 09-16-14, 07:12 PM
bootman
Intermediate

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

KC
I have both in the garage. (see sig below)
Two very different riding/handling cars.

Are you looking to get away from the IS handling and want a smoother but less road hugging ride?

IMO the only thing similar about the two cars is the L badge in front.
Old 09-16-14, 08:18 PM
Boomin
Racer

Received 399 Likes on 242 Posts

I just test drove the es this Sunday, ever been on a boat????? Interior is ok, quiet and smooth and no where do I ever ever ever see one driving it that doesnt have white hair. But they are handsome looking and I loved the space I get. I'm 6'3 and change
Old 09-17-14, 05:39 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by Boomin
I just test drove the es this Sunday, ever been on a boat????? Interior is ok, quiet and smooth and no where do I ever ever ever see one driving it that doesnt have white hair. But they are handsome looking and I loved the space I get. I'm 6'3 and change
The handling of the ES shouldn't come as a surprise. Same with the average age of the drivers. Both have been that way for a long time.
Old 09-17-14, 06:15 AM
caudlek
Driver

Originally Posted by bootman
I have both in the garage. (see sig below)
Two very different riding/handling cars.
Are you looking to get away from the IS handling and want a smoother but less road hugging ride?
IMO the only thing similar about the two cars is the L badge in front.

Well, mostly it comes down to cost .... here in Ottawa, 4 inches of snow on the road is a sad reality 15-25 days per winter. So AWD is a nice option (my wife has an AWD Matrix ... its great) and FWD is pretty good .... RWD with low clearance is a problem.

I have no doubt i would miss the IS350 big time in summers. I still miss my 2001 IS300 .... that car was bulletproof! Anyway, rominl 's reports on the NX are appreciated and encouraging ... once prices are released on the NX i will consider it.

KC
Old 09-17-14, 06:18 AM
caudlek
Driver

Originally Posted by lesz
Note that incentives from Lexus can vary widely from one region to another.

LOL ... u nailed it Lesz. Yes, the incentive thing is regional (Canada).

$1500 delivery credit
http://www.lexus.ca/lexus/en/shoppin...ational-offers

$3000 regional dealer - ontario-ottawa (for 2014 ES)
http://www.lexus.ca/lexus/en/shoppin...egional-offers

If these links don't work .... they're right off the Lexus.ca web page. There are numerous rebates off multiple models.

KC
Old 09-17-14, 10:24 AM
bootman
Intermediate

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Boomin
The space was the biggest selling factor for me.

...and most of what hair I have left is still brown. lol
Old 09-17-14, 01:21 PM
bunka
Lead Lap

LOL ... u nailed it Lesz. Yes, the incentive thing is regional (Canada).

$1500 delivery credit
http://www.lexus.ca/lexus/en/shoppin...ational-offers

$3000 regional dealer - ontario-ottawa (for 2014 ES)
http://www.lexus.ca/lexus/en/shoppin...egional-offers

If these links don't work .... they're right off the Lexus.ca web page. There are numerous rebates off multiple models.

KC
Thanks for the details. Hopepfully these discounts will also make their way south of the boarder to my area in Charlotte NC before too long.

Quick Reply: IS350 --> NX or ES ?