ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Paint on hood.

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-14, 06:17 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

Originally Posted by SLH
Shiny black is the worst. It shows everything. And, once the shiny finish is damaged by bird poop or sap, the spot is permanent. Other colors are not as bad.

While there is no question that black shows dirt/dust more than other colors, and surface scratches and polishing swirls show up on black more than they do on other colors, black also has an important advantage for those who are particular about the finish of their vehicles.

Black may well be the only color for which it is possible to get a virtually perfect color match if a panel on the vehicle needs to be refinished. With metallic and pearl finishes, getting a satisfactory paint match is a challenge for even a skilled paint technician. Pearl whites can be a nightmare for a paint technician when paint repairs need to be done. Light silvers, light golds, and reds are also particularly tough. But black is the only color for which virtually any paint repair can be done with a panel-to-panel match and without the need to do any blending into surrounding areas to disguise the way that new paint is lying differently from the factory paint. Also, with black, small touch ups of things like stone nicks will become virtually invisible when viewed from more than a few inches away while, with most metallic and pearl colors, those small touch ups will be much more readily noticeable.

As someone who is especially particular about the fits and finishes on my vehicles, I've, more often than not, chosen to get black vehicles. While the black does show polishing swirls, they can easily be removed, and, for me, knowing that, if I need paint work done, getting a perfect match is virtually guaranteed with black, makes me less nervous about the possibility of needing paint work. When I bought my ES last year, I chose the Nebula Gray Pearl, and that was my first non-black vehicle in over a decade. If I could go back a year, I would have gotten a black ES. While, if paint work needs to be done, the Nebula Gray Pearl won't be as tough as a pearl white, light silver, light gold, or red, getting a repair that meets my standards will still be harder to get than it would be with black.
Old 09-14-14, 08:14 AM
nuraman00
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Arty101
I think a full exterior detailing, clay bar and sealing will cost that much - the entire car, not just the hood. If you have time, you can buy the clay bar for around $20 and do it yourself. And then you'd still need to wax and seal it. This may take you an afternoon, but you'll get to know your entire car.

I still think a black or dark color is more visible to dirt, dropping and sap. It attracts more heat and will bake those contaminants into your paint. You'll need to remove the droppings or park away from trees and poles even after you get your hood fixed. Good luck.
Thanks.

I don't have reserved covered parking, so I have to take whatever I can get, which is under trees sometimes.

As has been suggested earlier, I'll carry a spray bottle and paper towels around.

I read up on how to use a clay bar, but it seems that one has to be careful, otherwise one might mess up and do more damage. I don't trust myself on that, I'd rather have someone else do it.
Old 09-14-14, 08:15 AM
nuraman00
Instructor

Originally Posted by SLH
Shiny black is the worst. It shows everything. And, once the shiny finish is damaged by bird poop or sap, the spot is permanent. Other colors are not as bad.

I think that may be the reason the "mat" finishes are becoming more popular.
People think the mat finish will not show the spots. I think they are wrong, that a mat finish shows spots almost as much as a shiny finish. I think the mat finish looks dirty constantly, even right after it is actually cleaned.

My father used to buy dirt-colored cars (beige or light brown), on the theory that they didn't show the dirt. He washed them regularly, each time he changed the air filter, about once a year. It was embarrassing.

I have red, not black. It shows the dirt, too. But, I rinse off spots as soon as I see them, and we rinse and chamois the whole car every weekend, so it never gets really bad.
What's a mat finish?
Old 09-14-14, 08:19 AM
nuraman00
Instructor

So, should I get this detailing done ASAP, say next weekend?

Part of the reason I ask is because since I just got a car wash last weekend, and the detailing package includes a car wash, it feels a little wasteful to have two car washes in 2 weeks.
Old 09-14-14, 08:30 AM
nuraman00
Instructor

And does everyone else think that $175, for clay barring and buffing (rather than just clay barring), is an appropriate price?

I've never had anything detailed before, so just checking.

I wish I could paste all of the things that were included in this package, but it's not on their website.

The regular car wash I go to has all of their services itemized in their packages, on their website, but that's not where I was yesterday. Should I also get their opinion, or have I done enough running around?
Old 09-14-14, 08:38 AM
nuraman00
Instructor

Are tips expected for detailing, and if so, how much (% or $)?
Old 09-14-14, 09:01 AM
Arty101
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

As I said before, the cost to clay bar, detail and buffing isn't out of line especially if you're not comfortable with the clay bar process. No need to worry about your last wash since they'll need to wash again for this. Also, the damage (not really damage) is done. This can also happen with hard water spots etching into your paint so be sure to dry off your car with every wash. Good luck.
Old 09-14-14, 01:45 PM
nuraman00
Instructor

As I said before, the cost to clay bar, detail and buffing isn't out of line especially if you're not comfortable with the clay bar process. No need to worry about your last wash since they'll need to wash again for this. Also, the damage (not really damage) is done. This can also happen with hard water spots etching into your paint so be sure to dry off your car with every wash. Good luck.
Thanks.

And any thoughts on tipping?
Old 09-14-14, 04:22 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,522 Likes on 1,820 Posts

You need to make sure that the person doing the buffing knows what they are doing, otherwise they will swirl up the paint to holy hell, especially black. The fact that its attached to a car wash doesn't give me confidence.

I would do some research, get some referrals, and find a good independent skilled professional detailer to take care of this for you.

If you really want to keep your black Lexus in good shape, and you park outside, you need to get more versed in how to care for a car, or you need to find a good independent detailer and let them care for it, including wash it. With black it will look like hell in 6 months being washed at an automatic carwash.

As for tipping, sure if someone does good work for me I always tip.
Old 09-14-14, 08:53 PM
pamiboy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Painting the whole hood sounds too much for this small amount of damage. It looks more like superficial clear coat damage. I would stick with the advise of clay bar / polishing /buffing etc and call it a day. It's good that you keep your car in excellent condition, but don't sweat about the small stuff.
Besides for removing bird poop, the best advise is still water and tissue and do it as soon as possible. If it's too dry, or left in sun for a few days, then soak it in water for 15 minutes or so and it'll just wash away. Do not try to just wet and rub it hard, it may damage the paint further. Ask me how I know about this . Good luck.
Old 09-14-14, 11:40 PM
Arty101
Lexus Champion

+1. I always keep a bottle of water in the car for me or the car
Old 09-16-14, 11:00 AM
ALIGN
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you go to a pain shop they will tell you to paint it over. If you go to a detail shop they will tell you to clay bar, buff it out, etc. Try some Goof Off and see if that works to what ever is on that paint. If use that to remove tree sap chunks on my paint and windshield. Just dap the sap it soften it and it will go away.

Based on the picture, it has some splatter. It don't look like tree sap but more like a bird droppings.

Or try buffing it out with a paint cleaner.
Old 09-16-14, 02:16 PM
Arty101
Lexus Champion

I'd try both sap removal (or Goof Off) cleaner and do the clay bar on the hood myself. It doesn't look too difficult to do, especially on one panel and not the whole car.
Old 09-17-14, 08:17 AM
nuraman00
Instructor

I'd try both sap removal (or Goof Off) cleaner and do the clay bar on the hood myself. It doesn't look too difficult to do, especially on one panel and not the whole car.
Is there a video or blog with pictures on how to use the clay bar?

Because the one I saw a few days ago scared me with how careful one has to be, and how to use the right size clay.
Old 09-17-14, 08:18 AM
nuraman00
Instructor

Originally Posted by ALIGN
If you go to a pain shop they will tell you to paint it over. If you go to a detail shop they will tell you to clay bar, buff it out, etc. Try some Goof Off and see if that works to what ever is on that paint. If use that to remove tree sap chunks on my paint and windshield. Just dap the sap it soften it and it will go away.

Based on the picture, it has some splatter. It don't look like tree sap but more like a bird droppings.

Or try buffing it out with a paint cleaner.
Ok, I'll go to a Lowes or Home Depot for Goof Off.

Do you recommend spray, or wipes?

Should I ask an employee at one of those stores (and show them pics), or should I just get the spray or wipe format that's recommended here?

Quick Reply: Paint on hood.