Any improvement on the 2015 GPS

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-14, 02:00 PM
boe
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Any improvement on the 2015 GPS

Hello,

One of the most important features for me is the navigation system. I'm curious if there is much of an improvement (if any) in the Voice command for the navi.
Old 08-29-14, 02:12 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

It is being reported that the 2015 ES will be getting the generation 8 navigation system, which is (in my opinion) substantially improved over gen 7.

Gen 8 is currently in the IS, CT, and GX, and is being added to the 2015 GS and ES, and I'm sure others as well.

A few things gen 8 has over gen 7 are:

Speed Limit is displayed
Birds Eye view and 3D buildings
Free traffic and weather for life, provided by HD Radio, rather than XM.
Ability to split the screen up to 3 ways to show multiple items at once (for example, weather, radio, and map can all be displayed).
Lexus Enform apps can be controlled via voice command ("Launch Bing" or "Launch Pandora" for example).
One line address entry via voice (rather than separating numbers, streets, city, etc. you can simply state "go to 123 Main Street, Seattle, WA".
Cell phone signal and battery remaining are displayed.

Hope this helps.
Old 08-30-14, 11:23 AM
boe
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JDR76
It is being reported that the 2015 ES will be getting the generation 8 navigation system, which is (in my opinion) substantially improved over gen 7.

Gen 8 is currently in the IS, CT, and GX, and is being added to the 2015 GS and ES, and I'm sure others as well.

Speed Limit is displayed
Ability to split the screen up to 3 ways to show multiple items at once (for example, weather, radio, and map can all be displayed).
Lexus Enform apps can be controlled via voice command ("Launch Bing" or "Launch Pandora" for example).
One line address entry via voice (rather than separating numbers, streets, city, etc. you can simply state "go to 123 Main Street, Seattle, WA".

Hope this helps.
Thanks!!! The 1 line voice command is the BIGGEST feature I wanted. (An OPTION for touch nav in addition to the mouse/cursor being second).

I wish all car manufacturers would post the GPS portion of their NAVI on Youtube. For some reason that is the one they gloss over and cover the stuff I really could give a fig about.
Old 08-30-14, 11:56 AM
Lexi66
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76

Speed Limit is displayed

Hope this helps.
I hope you're right. Lexus doesnt seem to be able to get the voice commands and Nav system right!!
Old 08-30-14, 12:09 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

The generation 8 navigation system looks like it has a nice set of improvements over the generation 7 navigation system.
Old 09-01-14, 11:51 PM
Poppa
Instructor

Received 166 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by lesz
The generation 8 navigation system looks like it has a nice set of improvements over the generation 7 navigation system.
Can you upgrade from the gen 7 to the gen 8 nav system? If so, do you think it would be cost prohibitive.... I ask because I really like the speed limit being displayed ( like on my old garmin ).. other than that, my nav system has worked really well once i figured out how to operate it.

Poppa
Old 09-02-14, 06:07 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

Originally Posted by Poppa
Can you upgrade from the gen 7 to the gen 8 nav system? If so, do you think it would be cost prohibitive.... I ask because I really like the speed limit being displayed ( like on my old garmin ).. other than that, my nav system has worked really well once i figured out how to operate it.

Poppa
I'm sure that the cost would be significant.

Even if that cost were more moderate, I'm still not sure that I would want to switch out the generation 7 system for a generation 8 system. Unless it is absolutely necessary I always hesitate to have any work done that is going to require disassembling the dash or other panels, disturbing wiring harnesses, etc. because I'd rather not take the chance, even if small, that, after everything is put back together again, there are going to be rattles, squeaks, or other issues.
Old 09-02-14, 09:21 AM
chromedome
Lexus Test Driver

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

FWIW my 2014 ES300h came with just a gray scale screen showing climate control and audio info. The dealer swapped it out for an aftermarket touchscreen unit with GPS, a Remote Touch lookalike controller, DVD player and rear camera link. I think it taps into the existing CAN bus connections.

The audio and AC can now be controlled using the original buttons or by reaching forward and using the touchscreen... The latter is only for stationary use because it's easy to crash with one arm stretched halfway to the windshield. Or better bring along an obedient passenger

The aftermarket unit's finish isn't as good as OEM but it fits well. Apparently the interfacing component is made in Japan while the rest of it is made in China, including the GPS software. It's probably not a feasible option for new US cars but down the road, maybe someone could come up with a decent aftermarket option.
Old 09-02-14, 08:20 PM
Max707
Lexus Champion

Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by boe
Hello,

One of the most important features for me is the navigation system. I'm curious if there is much of an improvement (if any) in the Voice command for the navi.
Mine is called Garmin. Works great.
Old 09-03-14, 06:32 AM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,230 Likes on 863 Posts

Originally Posted by Max707
Mine is called Garmin. Works great.
I have NAV in my Lexus, my wife has NAV in her new 2014 Honda. Both with voice control.
We both hook up the Garmin for trips. No arguments, frustration, cursing at Lexus occurs...
I do wonder how the other manufacturers' units - Audi, BMW, Infiniti, Benz, Cadillac - work and if they are substantially better.
Old 09-03-14, 09:07 AM
Max707
Lexus Champion

I have 2 Garmin's one for the ES and one for the LX. Wife also uses her IPhone. Navigation systems in cars are always too expensive and become outdated long before the owner wants to trade cars.
Old 09-03-14, 09:23 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by bc6152
I have NAV in my Lexus, my wife has NAV in her new 2014 Honda. Both with voice control.
We both hook up the Garmin for trips. No arguments, frustration, cursing at Lexus occurs...
I do wonder how the other manufacturers' units - Audi, BMW, Infiniti, Benz, Cadillac - work and if they are substantially better.
I owned a 2007 and a 2010 (1st year with the HD nav) ES350 and thought both of them worked decently, especially in the 2010. As mentioned, the voice recognition seems to be the weak link in the Lexus system.

I now have a 2013 Audi and the VR is seamless and seems to do just what you ask and IMO that makes the whole system more functional. It also uses Google maps, Send To Car, Street View, Online Destinations etc. so in that respect it seems like an improvement to me.
Old 09-03-14, 09:32 AM
Max707
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LexBob2
I owned a 2007 and a 2010 (1st year with the HD nav) ES350 and thought both of them worked decently, especially in the 2010. As mentioned, the voice recognition seems to be the weak link in the Lexus system.

I now have a 2013 Audi and the VR is seamless and seems to do just what you ask and IMO that makes the whole system more functional. It also uses Google maps, Send To Car, Street View, Online Destinations etc. so in that respect it seems like an improvement to me.
My new Garmin that I paid less then $200 for does everything Lexus is talking about adding in 2015, traffic notification, arrival time, posted speed and a host of other crap I don't even care about using. But 98% of the time I don't need or use any Navigation system, kind of know where I'm going
Old 09-03-14, 10:33 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by Max707
My new Garmin that I paid less then $200 for does everything Lexus is talking about adding in 2015, traffic notification, arrival time, posted speed and a host of other crap I don't even care about using. But 98% of the time I don't need or use any Navigation system, kind of know where I'm going
I have a Garmin too but overall prefer a system that's integrated into the car along with the HVAC and other stuff, provided it works OK . I do find the Garmin is gathering dust these days, but probably will still keep one on hand,
Old 09-04-14, 10:19 PM
Arty101
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I was in the GoogleMaps on the iPhone camp. Needless to say, twice I've gotten two wrong directions within the last 2 weeks on two separate trips.