ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Accident in Brand New ES 350

Old 08-19-14, 02:54 PM
lexyluv
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Accident in Brand New ES 350

I'm so upset. Had an accident this morning in my brand new 2014 ES 350. I have less than 115 miles on it.

I accidently rear-ended the car in front of me. Thank God noone was hurt. The bumper is crushed; hood is really damaged; driver door won't open; and air from AC went warm.

Its at the body shop now.

I'm scared that it won't be the same after repair. Anyone have experience with an accident in a brand new car? Do I have the option for the insurance company to fix and buy it so I can start over?

Thanks for your help.
Old 08-19-14, 04:54 PM
Lexusxoxo
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Inless it's a total they don't have to buy it.
Every car I ever had that had been damaged was NEVER the same..
I'm so sorry this happened to you..
By the way did you have the option where the car detects your about to hit something and brakes?
I'm sorry I have this option but forgot what its called.. I'm sure someone else will chime in.
Old 08-19-14, 05:03 PM
Cerulean99
Driver School Candidate

If there is damage to the frame, which sounds like there is, then the car will never be the same. Also, the minute you left the dealer lot, the car depreciated by several thousand dollars. So no chance that you will get back what you paid from the insurance company, even if it was totaled.
Old 08-19-14, 05:17 PM
mspearl95
Instructor

Received 107 Likes on 88 Posts

sad. were you texting?
Old 08-19-14, 05:37 PM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,230 Likes on 863 Posts

I have to agree with the other members and say probably the only way you'll be able to "start over" would be to take a financial hit on the 2014 on a trade-in on a new car. No vehicle stays the same after a substantial collision. I feel for you my friend. Good Luck.
Old 08-19-14, 06:06 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

Sorry to hear about your misfortune.

I believe that the insurance laws in most states provide for filing what is called a diminished value claim. Insurance companies are happy that most people don't even know about diminished value claims, and neither your agent or the insurance adjuster is likely to suggest that you file for one, but what a diminished value claim essentially does is to allow you to recover the difference between the value of your vehicle pre-accident and the value of the vehicle after it has been repaired.

I've never had any personal experience with a diminished value claim, but I've read posts from people who have successfully recovered money from diminished value claims. I suspect that going that route would require some work on your part to establish that there, in fact, is diminished value, and you would be fighting your own insurance company, but, if the amount is significant, it might be worth pursuing.

If you were successful in recovering diminished value and if you are not happy with the post-repaired car, the money recovered from the diminished value claim might make it more feasible to trade off the car and to replace it with a new one.

A Google search of diminished value claims should give you a better idea of how it works than did my explanation.

Good luck with the repairs and with your insurance claim.
Old 08-19-14, 06:26 PM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,230 Likes on 863 Posts

If you're the at fault party involved in the accident in Pennsylvania and Maryland, you are NOT eligible to recover any "diminished value' funds. Sounds like you're at fault in this one...
Old 08-19-14, 07:30 PM
lexyluv
Driver School Candidate

Default Thanks everyone for your responses. I really appreciate your thoughts.

Thanks so much for all your thoughts. I really appreciate it. I will explore my options. Btw, I wasn't texting.

Take care
Old 08-19-14, 08:18 PM
Dave Mac
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

Sorry to hear about your accident - Don"t just roll over on this without checking on a replacement car. With your being the at-fault driver you aren't in a very good position but I have heard of such things working out. There is something about driving a new car the first few miles that I think leads to accidents. I have had several near misses in new cars and I think it is that you spent a lot of time looking at the interior features as well as things just being different.

If the damage is substantial and you usually keep your cars a long time you might just do the best you can and then take your hit right now and trade it. The dealer just likes to sell cars and may work with you a little since they will then make more money off of you. Or you can get it repaired and see how it feels and if you are not happy trade it for a 2015 or even 2016 model.

Dave Mac
Old 08-20-14, 07:03 AM
MDames2
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I bought an ES350 brand new in November 2006. I was in an accident a few months later. It demolished the front end of the car. It cost $14,000 and 2 months to repair. Contrary to all the naysayers and speculation here, my car was great after the repair. I drove it for another 5.5 years. It looked and drove just like new. I did not have frame damage. So don't assume you do until it's checked out. Also, when I traded in the car nearly 6 years later, I got full value for it. I took no hit for diminished value. There's a lot of negativity in some of the responses above. But they may not be valid in your case.
Old 08-20-14, 07:27 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,498 Likes on 1,801 Posts

Originally Posted by MDames2
I bought an ES350 brand new in November 2006. I was in an accident a few months later. It demolished the front end of the car. It cost $14,000 and 2 months to repair. Contrary to all the naysayers and speculation here, my car was great after the repair. I drove it for another 5.5 years. It looked and drove just like new. I did not have frame damage. So don't assume you do until it's checked out. Also, when I traded in the car nearly 6 years later, I got full value for it. I took no hit for diminished value. There's a lot of negativity in some of the responses above. But they may not be valid in your case.
+1 to this.

Its a common conception out there that "after an accident the car will never be the same", but the reality is that a lot of that is in your mind. Technology has come so far, and the quality of the work a good/great shop can do is so high that your car absolutely can be as good as new after the repair.

Be sure its at a great shop. Don't just send it to the dealer. Get references and referrals.
Old 08-20-14, 08:44 AM
bootman
Intermediate

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

What bent frame?
These are unibody cars with crumple zones.

No ones makes body on frames anymore.
Old 08-20-14, 08:49 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

They still consider unibody structure damage a "bent frame"

There are still body on frame SUVs and trucks.
Old 08-20-14, 10:27 AM
LexRuger
Pole Position

Received 185 Likes on 117 Posts

I had a pretty bad accident in one of my previous cars, and to me, it was not the same as it was before. The body shop determined that there was no frame damage. But I looked up the VIN a few months after getting rid of the car and an auction company determined that it actually did have frame damage.

I had to return it to the body shop twice because I was not satisfied with the quality of work. And after that, I was still not satisfied. I was tired of being without a car so I just accepted the fact that maybe it'll never be perfect. I wish they would have repainted the whole car because I don't think it's possible to exactly match a pearl/metallic paint from the factory since the process isn't the same in a body shop.

Also, you'd have a hard time getting a fair amount on a trade or even selling privately at this point with an accident on the carfax. Later down the line I don't think it will have a major affect on the value. When you get your car appraised, that's one of the most important questions they may ask. And if they don't, they will definetly check the carfax.

If your car sustains damage in an accident, its value drops permanently. This is true even with minor damage and even if you repair it. If you want to trade in your vehicle later, you’ll probably have to accept less than you would before the accident, even if your vehicle is in good condition. How much the trade-in value of your car decreases depends on the type and amount of damage, the age and make of your car and the quality of the repairs. Vehicles lost an average 33 percent of their value after an accident, according to the ABC News article “Been in a Car Wreck? Get Reimbursed for Lost Value.”

How Much is My Car Worth?

How Dealerships Know You’ve Had an Accident
Even if you’ve erased all visible signs of your vehicle’s damage by having it repaired, auto dealerships probably will know about it. Many dealerships run a vehicle history report on any vehicle brought in for a trade-in. This report shows a vehicle’s entire history, including accident reports. Insurance claims also show up on vehicle history reports, so if your car’s damage was significant enough that you filed an insurance claim for the repairs, any dealerships looking at your car’s report will see that and probably lower the amount they offer you.

Age and Make of Your Vehicle
Damage most significantly reduces the trade-in value of newer cars. Older vehicles have already depreciated so much that an accident is not likely to lower the car’s value much more. The make of your car also significantly affects the trade-in value. Some cars are in such great demand that dealerships know they can probably sell them even if they’ve been damaged. In this case, the dealership might not significantly reduce its trade-in offer. If there’s not much demand for your make and model of vehicle, however, the dealership might have difficulty selling it even without damage, and probably will offer a much lower amount if there’s damage.
http://budgeting.thenest.com/cars-tr...ent-24345.html

2. How much value has my vehicle lost due to its recent accident.
The loss in value of a damaged vehicle is known as Diminished Value. The amount of Diminished Valueof a damaged and repaired vehicle depends upon several factors including: the pre-loss value of the vehicle, the nature and severity of the damages and the cost, manner and thoroughness of the performed repairs.
Consider that, when a vehicle is in an accident, it loses its greatest value just after the actual impact or occurrence. During the dismantling, repair, installation and painting of replacement parts, the value is slowly restored as the repairs progress.
The full original value will likely never be regained simply because the vehicle now has a history of damage that it did not have before the loss. Prior damage history will be disclosed to potential buyers who will likely not pay the same for a vehicle with a damage history as compared to one with no damage history. This is often referred to as “the damaged goods syndrome”.
If the repairs are done thoroughly and in a workmanlike manner, the value of the vehicle can be maximized to the best of reasonable human ability but likely never to its pre-loss value.
If the repairs are done to less than thorough and workmanlike standards, the recovery in value will be limited accordingly, and the vehicle will suffer a greater loss or diminishment in value.
The more significant the damages, the greater the loss in value. The poorer the repair quality, the less recovery of the vehicle’s original and pre-loss value.

3. How will damage history affect my trade-in or the sale of my vehicle?
Under most state laws, every auto dealer is to disclose an accident history on a vehicle to a potential buyer. To be in compliance, and avoid lawsuits, they are often careful to ask regarding the damage history from the prior owner and may even have the owner sign an affidavit. After disclosure, most buyers are not willing to pay the same amount for a vehicle with an accident history as they would for the same vehicle without an accident history.
http://www.autodamageexperts.com/dim...-value/faq/#q3
Old 08-20-14, 10:33 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexRuger
I had a pretty bad accident in one of my previous cars, and to me, it was not the same as it was before. The body shop determined that there was no frame damage. But I looked up the VIN a few months after getting rid of the car and an auction company determined that it actually did have frame damage.

I had to return it to the body shop twice because I was not satisfied with the quality of work. And after that, I was still not satisfied. I was tired of being without a car so I just accepted the fact that maybe it'll never be perfect. I wish they would have repainted the whole car because I don't think it's possible to exactly match a pearl/metallic paint from the factory since the process isn't the same in a body shop.
Sounds to me like the quality of the shop doing the repair was an issue.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Accident in Brand New ES 350