ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Accident in Brand New ES 350

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-14, 07:02 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

Originally Posted by gemigniani
Both the application methods and the paint itself that body shops use are going to be different than what the Lexus factory uses. "Different" = inferior in most cases. In fact, back in the 1990's one body shop owner told me that they cannot match the chip resistance of factory applied paint.
While I would prefer not to break the factory paint any more than necessary, both materials and techniques that body shops use in refinishing vehicles have improved significantly since the 1990s. Now, both the color match and the durability of repainted panels can be excellent and are largely dependent on the techniques used and the abilities and skills of the paint technician. The bumper on my 2005 GX was replaced in 2007. Now, 7 years later, that bumper still looks like it just came out of the factory on a brand new vehicle.

The thing that will never be the same is the paint. The body shop will NOT likely use genuine Lexus bumpers, hood, fenders, etc.
With a virtually new vehicle, there should be no question that the insurance company should be approving the use of genuine Lexus parts to complete the repair. If my insurance company wanted to be using after-market parts to repair a vehicle with 150 miles on it, I would be looking for a new insurance company.

Even with a vehicle that is somewhat older, while the insurance company may, at first, want to use after-market parts, it is likely that the vehicle owner still can persuade the insurance company to approve the use of genuine Lexus parts. Several years ago, I had a 7 year old Toyota pickup that was rear ended by a semi that had skidded on icy pavement. The pickup box and and bumper needed to be replaced. Initially, the insurance company wanted to use an aftermarket box and bumper. It took some work on my part, but, with help from my agent, I was able to get the insurance company to approve of using genuine Toyota parts. Worst case if I wasn't able to get them to approve of the genuine Toyota parts would have been that I would have paid a few hundred dollars out of my pocket to cover the extra cost of the genuine Toyota parts.
Old 08-26-14, 10:05 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,521 Likes on 1,819 Posts

Both the application methods and the paint itself that body shops use are going to be different than what the Lexus factory uses. "Different" = inferior in most cases. In fact, back in the 1990's one body shop owner told me that they cannot match the chip resistance of factory applied paint.
Having had front bumpers repainted/replaced on a couple of different Lexus vehicles, most recently my 2010 ES350, I have found this not to be the case. Each time the paint on the bumper resisted chipping much better than the original factory paint. Bear in mind that Lexus paint is very poor when it comes to chip resistance from the factory.

I too would avoid breaking the paint seal if possible, but ***** happens and cars can be repaired and repainted and brought back to as new condition. No need to fret.
Old 08-26-14, 12:17 PM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,238 Likes on 870 Posts

Originally Posted by SW13GS
Having had front bumpers repainted/replaced on a couple of different Lexus vehicles, most recently my 2010 ES350, I have found this not to be the case. Each time the paint on the bumper resisted chipping much better than the original factory paint. Bear in mind that Lexus paint is very poor when it comes to chip resistance from the factory.

I too would avoid breaking the paint seal if possible, but ***** happens and cars can be repaired and repainted and brought back to as new condition. No need to fret.
On what do you base your opinion that " Lexus paint is very poor when it comes to chip resistance from the factory" ?
Old 08-26-14, 12:36 PM
LexRuger
Pole Position

Received 186 Likes on 117 Posts

Due to EPA regulations, Pretty much all cars these days have poorer paint quality than several years ago
Old 08-26-14, 02:44 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,521 Likes on 1,819 Posts

Comparing the two Jeeps I've had and the Lexus vehicles I've had, the Jeeps have much more durable paint. The finish isn't as nice, but they are much more resistant to chipping and scratching.

A clear bra is a must on a Lexus, I haven't felt the need for the Jeeps.