ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Turn by Turn Commands by Voice

Old 08-17-14, 06:47 AM
larrytstar
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Question Turn by Turn Commands by Voice

I have an IPhone 5S which works fine with my 2013 ES350 UL, but there is one function that I can't seem to activate. When I ask my phone for directions to a location, for example, I say, "Directions to 123 Main St., Boston, MA", I hear, through my car speakers, "Getting directions to 123 Main St., Boston, MA'. When my phone locates the requested address, a map to the location appears on the screen of my phone and the turn by turn directions appear on my phone, but the directions are not broadcast through the car radio. Thanks to anyone who can point me in the direction to activate turn-by-turn directions by voice commands from my iphone.
Old 08-20-14, 06:00 PM
gnm313
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by larrytstar
I have an IPhone 5S which works fine with my 2013 ES350 UL, but there is one function that I can't seem to activate. When I ask my phone for directions to a location, for example, I say, "Directions to 123 Main St., Boston, MA", I hear, through my car speakers, "Getting directions to 123 Main St., Boston, MA'. When my phone locates the requested address, a map to the location appears on the screen of my phone and the turn by turn directions appear on my phone, but the directions are not broadcast through the car radio. Thanks to anyone who can point me in the direction to activate turn-by-turn directions by voice commands from my iphone.
I think if you use google maps it works fine. Just used it last week. Apple maps doesn't come over the speakers.
Old 08-20-14, 08:28 PM
Lexi66
Pole Position

Originally Posted by gnm313
I think if you use google maps it works fine. Just used it last week. Apple maps doesn't come over the speakers.
I am confused... Another thread in a different generation, I believe, indicates that
the Iphone Maps turn by turn directions ...plays the turns through the Bluetooth
connection for hands free cell phone use.

Please if anyone can extrapolate, please do!
Old 08-20-14, 08:44 PM
larrytstar
Rookie

I began this thread and have discovered the answer since. The key to hearing the turn by turn commands is to have the car audio system in Bluetooth mode. Not listening to the radio, playing a CD or listening to music from a USB drive - but in my case, listening to music from my phone via Bluetooth connection. In this mode, the turn by turn directions are broadcast from the car speakers, interrupting the music as each direction is given.
Old 08-20-14, 08:55 PM
Lexi66
Pole Position

Originally Posted by larrytstar
I began this thread and have discovered the answer since. The key to hearing the turn by turn commands is to have the car audio system in Bluetooth mode. Not listening to the radio, playing a CD or listening to music from a USB drive - but in my case, listening to music from my phone via Bluetooth connection. In this mode, the turn by turn directions are broadcast from the car speakers, interrupting the music as each direction is given.
1) Do you have an Iphone?

2) Do you use Apple maps or What?

Thanks for your feedback!!
Old 08-21-14, 08:00 AM
larrytstar
Rookie

Hi Lexi66

1) Iphone 5S

2) I use the Maps app that came on the phone. I believe it's Apple maps.
Old 08-22-14, 05:55 PM
Kijug
Intermediate

Received 98 Likes on 72 Posts

I have an iPhone 5 also. I went through this on my '14 ES 350 UL. Here is the issue. The answer is...after Siri says something like "I have the directions", you then have to say, "Start navigation" or "Start directions". I don't recall. But nonetheless, you need to tell Siri to start the voice turn-by-turn. Then it worked fine. Try is manually without being in your car...in your living room or whatever. Siri won't do voice turn-by-turn unless you tell it. All you asked for was directions. Now you have to tell Siri to speak the directions. Make sense?