Go Back   Club Lexus Forums > Lexus Model Forums > ES Models > ES350 and ES300h (2013+)
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Navigation and verbal commands

Reply
 
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-16-14, 01:50 PM   #1
Lexi66
Pole Position
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: iL
Posts: 285
Default Navigation and verbal commands

How is the Navigation and verbal commands on the 2014 ES350? My 2011 not
so good! Feedback please!
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Club Lexus!
Lexi66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-14, 03:30 PM   #2
bc6152
Lead Lap
Trader Score: (0)
 
bc6152's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: pa
Posts: 648
Default

I have a '13 350 and IMO the voice command system needs a lot of work. Not so much the Nav system which works fine once you get the destination into it. I believe that the '13 and '14 Lexus systems are identical. I also have a '14 Honda with Nav and voice command and its worse...really bad.
__________________
1931 Ford Model A Roadster

1966 Corvette Sting Ray convertible
bc6152 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-14, 04:11 PM   #3
lesz
Lead Lap
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Illinois
Posts: 769
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bc6152 View Post
I have a '13 350 and IMO the voice command system needs a lot of work. Not so much the Nav system which works fine once you get the destination into it. I believe that the '13 and '14 Lexus systems are identical. I also have a '14 Honda with Nav and voice command and its worse...really bad.

Yep. I agree that the voice command system on the ES leaves a lot to be desired. I don't think that I mumble, but it seems that, more often than not, the system thinks that I am saying something other than what I am actually saying. Also, the number of commands that it is capable of recognizing is somewhat limited. Even with entering an address into the navigation system, you need to use the voice command system together with cycling through on-screen prompts to enter the state, city, street, etc. I've found that the best way that I can make use of the voice command system, whether it be for the navigation system, audio system, climate control system, or anything else, is to avoid using it. Not only is it faster not to use it, but it is less frustrating.
lesz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-14, 07:14 PM   #4
Lexi66
Pole Position
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: iL
Posts: 285
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bc6152 View Post
I have a '13 350 and IMO the voice command system needs a lot of work. Not so much the Nav system which works fine once you get the destination into it. I believe that the '13 and '14 Lexus systems are identical. I also have a '14 Honda with Nav and voice command and its worse...really bad.
That is depressing!
Lexi66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-14, 07:25 PM   #5
Lexi66
Pole Position
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: iL
Posts: 285
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesz View Post
Yep. I agree that the voice command system on the ES leaves a lot to be desired. I don't think that I mumble, but it seems that, more often than not, the system thinks that I am saying something other than what I am actually saying. Also, the number of commands that it is capable of recognizing is somewhat limited. Even with entering an address into the navigation system, you need to use the voice command system together with cycling through on-screen prompts to enter the state, city, street, etc. I've found that the best way that I can make use of the voice command system, whether it be for the navigation system, audio system, climate control system, or anything else, is to avoid using it. Not only is it faster not to use it, but it is less frustrating.
I have a 2011 ES ...what can I say, the Navigation system doesn't always take me
where I want to go, I use it to know what street I'm on. And if I'm going somewhere
new, I copy the Mapquest directions! And don't get me started on voice commands! 😥😰😱
Lexi66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-14, 07:37 PM   #6
LexBob2
Lexus Fanatic
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Illinois
Posts: 6,393
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexi66 View Post
I have a 2011 ES ...what can I say, the Navigation system doesn't always take me
where I want to go, I use it to know what street I'm on. And if I'm going somewhere
new, I copy the Mapquest directions! And don't get me started on voice commands! ������
You ever use eDestination (subscription based)? It works like a charm. You can find destinations on your computer and send them to the car. Also, with Destination Assist you can call them in-car, tell them where you want to go, and they'll send the destination right to the car.

When I had my 2010 I kept the subscription because the voice recognition was so bad and hard to work with.
LexBob2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-14, 09:45 PM   #7
Mhobizal
Rookie
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Tx
Posts: 81
Default

I just started using an iPod in my 2014 ES300h, and the voice controls do work ok. Only thing is you have to say "Play Music", before being able to say "Play Song <name of song>". Very strange it is a 2 step method. Then you have to confirm the selection. So after 3 steps, you finally get to listen to your song.
Mhobizal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-14, 10:08 PM   #8
Lexi66
Pole Position
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: iL
Posts: 285
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexBob2 View Post
You ever use eDestination (subscription based)? It works like a charm. You can find destinations on your computer and send them to the car. Also, with Destination Assist you can call them in-car, tell them where you want to go, and they'll send the destination right to the car.

When I had my 2010 I kept the subscription because the voice recognition was so bad and hard to work with.
Question...can I find the route I want from Mapquest or Google and then send it to my
Navigation system? Please extrapolate!
Lexi66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-14, 07:54 AM   #9
bc6152
Lead Lap
Trader Score: (0)
 
bc6152's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: pa
Posts: 648
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexBob2 View Post
You ever use eDestination (subscription based)? It works like a charm. You can find destinations on your computer and send them to the car. Also, with Destination Assist you can call them in-car, tell them where you want to go, and they'll send the destination right to the car.

When I had my 2010 I kept the subscription because the voice recognition was so bad and hard to work with.
Voice recognition is still lacking according to the many negative posts here on CL. For this reason, I think that Lexus should either provide FREE Destination Assist or at least reduce the subscription price. (I'm not optimistic...) I, for one, do not subscribe due to the cost and infrequent use.
__________________
1931 Ford Model A Roadster

1966 Corvette Sting Ray convertible
bc6152 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-14, 06:58 PM   #10
Lexi66
Pole Position
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: iL
Posts: 285
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bc6152 View Post
Voice recognition is still lacking according to the many negative posts here on CL. For this reason, I think that Lexus should either provide FREE Destination Assist or at least reduce the subscription price. (I'm not optimistic...) I, for one, do not subscribe due to the cost and infrequent use.
That is an excellent suggestion. Last I heard it was $20 per month... Is that about right?
Lexi66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-14, 10:29 AM   #11
bc6152
Lead Lap
Trader Score: (0)
 
bc6152's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: pa
Posts: 648
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexi66 View Post
That is an excellent suggestion. Last I heard it was $20 per month... Is that about right?
I'm not sure, but I think you're very close to being correct. Somewhere around $265.00 per year...
I'm in at $10.00 per month...LOL
__________________
1931 Ford Model A Roadster

1966 Corvette Sting Ray convertible
bc6152 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-14, 04:27 PM   #12
Lexi66
Pole Position
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: iL
Posts: 285
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bc6152 View Post
I'm not sure, but I think you're very close to being correct. Somewhere around $265.00 per year...
I'm in at $10.00 per month...LOL
Confused... I thought you paid the premium every year ... Are you saying that it doesn't
go up from year to year so your grandfathered in at that price forever? Or are you pulling my leg?

Do you have any experience with Enform regarding sending the driving directions from
your computer to the car Navigation System? One huge problem I have is that the
directions I get from the Nav System aren't always accurate. If I could actually send
the driving directions from a different web page e.g., mapquest, etc. I would be willing to pay the annual
premium!!!

Feedback please!!
Lexi66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-14, 02:04 PM   #13
bc6152
Lead Lap
Trader Score: (0)
 
bc6152's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: pa
Posts: 648
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexi66 View Post
Confused... I thought you paid the premium every year ... Are you saying that it doesn't
go up from year to year so your grandfathered in at that price forever? Or are you pulling my leg?

Do you have any experience with Enform regarding sending the driving directions from
your computer to the car Navigation System? One huge problem I have is that the
directions I get from the Nav System aren't always accurate. If I could actually send
the driving directions from a different web page e.g., mapquest, etc. I would be willing to pay the annual
premium!!!

Feedback please!!
I inadvertently confused you with a little joke stating that I'm in at $10.00 per month. I WISH it was $10.00 a month. The current price is $264.90 for one year, first year is free. Sorry. I have no experience with sending directions via PC, phone, Ipad, mapquest, etc.
__________________
1931 Ford Model A Roadster

1966 Corvette Sting Ray convertible
bc6152 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-14, 02:45 PM   #14
LexBob2
Lexus Fanatic
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Illinois
Posts: 6,393
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexi66 View Post
Confused... I thought you paid the premium every year ... Are you saying that it doesn't
go up from year to year so your grandfathered in at that price forever? Or are you pulling my leg?

Do you have any experience with Enform regarding sending the driving directions from
your computer to the car Navigation System? One huge problem I have is that the
directions I get from the Nav System aren't always accurate. If I could actually send
the driving directions from a different web page e.g., mapquest, etc. I would be willing to pay the annual
premium!!!

Feedback please!!
As far as I know, MapQuest doesn't have send to car capability. Google maps does, but your car's system has to be compatible with it (only certain manufacturers are). We have it in our Audi and it works very well - Seamlessly. I used Lexus' send to car functions (eDestination & Destination Assist) in our 2010 all the time, and the subscription was worth it to me since the voice command left a lot be desired. If you were to call the Lexus 800 number for those services, I'm sure you'd find them to be very helpful explaining the services, how they work, the costs etc. They are customer service friendly.

If your map's directions aren't working too well, check and see how the routing is set up. You have a selection of the shortest route, fastest route and one other that escapes me. If it is set for something different than the way you want, it may just be a quick change of preference.
LexBob2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-14, 03:20 PM   #15
jonmanch
Driver
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: NY
Posts: 124
Default

Thought I would put my 2 cents in. I think the voice recognition for the Navigation is great. I had a 2010 Infiniti, and the 2013 Lexus VR is superior to that. It is faster and recognizes commands better. That is not to say that sometimes it cannot decode a number that I am saying for an address. For instance, last week I wanted 129 for a building address, and it could not recognize it so I said 130 which it did recognize. I learned to compensate for that. But I do think it is more accurate and faster to input than my Infiniti was
jonmanch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-14, 03:20 PM
 
 
 
 
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What turn by turn driving direction Lexi66 ES350 and ES300h (2013+) 2 08-26-14 07:05 PM
Since pretty much everyone agrees that... Lexi66 ES350 (2007 - 2012) 9 08-21-14 03:44 PM
2014 es350... Lexi66 ES350 and ES300h (2013+) 0 08-16-14 10:39 AM
Silent Navigation DarylS2001 RX - Third Generation 11 08-28-12 03:11 PM
Navigation sound Milesfw RX - Third Generation 4 08-14-12 07:28 AM


Tags
cancel, destination, lexus, nav, system, verbally

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:48 PM.

Join ClubLexus
Advertising


Copyright © 2000-2008 Internet Brands, Inc. All Rights Reserved
Privacy Policy | Disclaimer | Terms of Use | JOBS


Get all contact info