ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Default Sport Mode

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-14, 11:46 AM
bootman
Intermediate

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Default Sport Mode

The ECO mode seems to stick when you turn off the car but not sport.
I know I can just hit it every time I start the car but like your typical American, I want it done my way.

I searched and found one post back in 2012 asking this question buried in a thread but no real answers if this can be programed in to do this.

BTW, who else likes driving in sport mode most of the time?
I like it for the steering feel alone and the MPG for me doesn't seem to make that big of a difference in highway miles.

Now city stoplight driving....no comment.
Old 08-12-14, 11:52 AM
jim256
Lead Lap

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by bootman
I searched and found one post back in 2012 asking this question buried in a thread but no real answers if this can be programed in to do this.
Short answer is No. Normal or Eco only.
Old 08-12-14, 02:05 PM
mcomer
Lead Lap

Received 844 Likes on 638 Posts

Second hand information...I read that if they set it up to stay in a performance mode they have to EPA mileage test it in that mode...
Old 10-01-14, 10:23 PM
RobS350
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree. I like to keep it in Sport mode almost all of the time unless I am in heavy traffic. However, even though the steering does "tighten up", I still think that it is too "floaty" and a little scary for me at higher speeds and may look into lowering the vehicle or upgrading the suspension.
Old 03-07-19, 08:28 PM
DoDo1975
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I put it in sport mode for the first time today. What a difference in steering. Loved it. Read somewhere on this forum that you can somehow leave the steering in sport mode and throttle response can still be eco. There were lots of different opinions on whether this is true or not.

Is there now a definitive answer? Can the steering be left in one mode independent of the eco/normal/sport setting?
Old 03-08-19, 05:42 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 614 Likes on 462 Posts

Originally Posted by DoDo1975
I put it in sport mode for the first time today. What a difference in steering. Loved it. Read somewhere on this forum that you can somehow leave the steering in sport mode and throttle response can still be eco. There were lots of different opinions on whether this is true or not.

Is there now a definitive answer? Can the steering be left in one mode independent of the eco/normal/sport setting?
I've been on this forum for 6 years and have not seen anyone claim what you're stating. At least not on the ES gen 6 forum.
Old 03-08-19, 06:08 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

Originally Posted by mcomer
Second hand information...I read that if they set it up to stay in a performance mode they have to EPA mileage test it in that mode...
That is correct.

EPA regulations require that, when EPA testing is done for fuel economy (and emissions), the car cannot be set up to default to a less fuel efficient mode (or a mode that produces higher emissions levels). Thus, if the fuel efficiency testing for the ES was done in Normal mode, the car can be set up to default to that Normal mode or to the more fuel efficient Eco mode after each restart, but it cannot be set up to default to the less fuel efficient Sport mode after each restart.

Originally Posted by DoDo1975

Originally Posted by Mike728
I've been on this forum for 6 years and have not seen anyone claim what you're stating. At least not on the ES gen 6 forum.
Mike's answer is correct. Steering mode cannot be set independently.
Old 03-08-19, 08:16 AM
AlexNY
Pit Crew

Received 50 Likes on 33 Posts

Default sport mode only changes steering feel, as far as transmission i don't see a difference. Very lazy up-shifts. still the "dang i don't know if i should be in 3rd or 4th gear" from the on board computer.

i did not notice much of a difference in MPG from eco to sport. Obviously when people turn eco mode they will most likely drive it light footed and thus get more mpg. But if i drive sport mode light footed, i get very similar mpg.
Old 03-08-19, 08:51 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 614 Likes on 462 Posts

Originally Posted by AlexNY
Default sport mode only changes steering feel, as far as transmission i don't see a difference. Very lazy up-shifts. still the "dang i don't know if i should be in 3rd or 4th gear" from the on board computer.
It changes steering feel and throttle response. That's it. Nothing transmission related.
Old 03-08-19, 01:35 PM
mcomer
Lead Lap

Received 844 Likes on 638 Posts

Latest News on the Drive Mode functions, Lexi with Adaptive Suspensions such as 2018/9 LS and 2019 ES now have a Drive Mode
Customization setting available. What if you want the tight suspension but are seeking a bit better MPG's? What about getting good
MPG's but you are hauling folks around in 90 degree heat? The use of the active "ECO" drive mode involves softening the throttle
response, changing the shift mapping, reducing the HVAC output and stunting the cruise control.
Now you can select the portions that suit you rather than accepting the whole menu. Went out and tried a couple changes in an LS
and an ES and discovered that if you customize the Powertrain to "Power" and restart the car...it stays on! Attached pages are for
various areas of the Drive Mode map, not exclusively the new Customization menu.
Attached Files
File Type: docx
Drive Mode Customization.docx (237.3 KB, 88 views)
Old 03-08-19, 01:43 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

^^ Interesting. I have the customize mode on my GS but it still will default to normal and won't stay on when I restart the car.
Old 03-08-19, 01:59 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

Originally Posted by mcomer
Latest News on the Drive Mode functions, Lexi with Adaptive Suspensions such as 2018/9 LS and 2019 ES now have a Drive Mode
Customization setting available. What if you want the tight suspension but are seeking a bit better MPG's? What about getting good
MPG's but you are hauling folks around in 90 degree heat? The use of the active "ECO" drive mode involves softening the throttle
response, changing the shift mapping, reducing the HVAC output and stunting the cruise control.
Now you can select the portions that suit you rather than accepting the whole menu. Went out and tried a couple changes in an LS
and an ES and discovered that if you customize the Powertrain to "Power" and restart the car...it stays on! Attached pages are for
various areas of the Drive Mode map, not exclusively the new Customization menu.
Is there a chance that Lexus might have done the EPA testing in the Powertain Power mode? Lexus might have decided that sacrificing a bit of the car's rated mpg was a good trade off for appealing to a different group of potential buyers who want more of a performance vehicle. Otherwise, I'm not sure how the car would be able to maintain the Power mode and still satisfy EPA requirements.
Old 03-08-19, 04:57 PM
DoDo1975
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lesz
That is correct.

EPA regulations require that, when EPA testing is done for fuel economy (and emissions), the car cannot be set up to default to a less fuel efficient mode (or a mode that produces higher emissions levels). Thus, if the fuel efficiency testing for the ES was done in Normal mode, the car can be set up to default to that Normal mode or to the more fuel efficient Eco mode after each restart, but it cannot be set up to default to the less fuel efficient Sport mode after each restart.

Mike's answer is correct. Steering mode cannot be set independently.
Thanks, I read it somewhere on the 6th gen ES forum but it may have been referencing a different car. Too bad not available for me but at least when i want more responsive steering I know how to get it.
Old 03-11-19, 03:54 PM
Universe93
Pit Crew

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Same here, my normal morning routine is switch to Sport as soon as the engine turns over! I do it for the steering feel - makes it a little closer to the German cars.
Old 03-11-19, 07:03 PM
gamma742
Intermediate

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

You would think this would be a simple flash to the ECM.. I wish it was a dealer option done through Techstream.