ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Lease Mileage Overage Charges

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-14, 09:53 AM
LBCDan
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Lease Mileage Overage Charges

I have a 12,000 mile/year lease and I think I'm going to end up significantly over that by the time I turn in the car in a year and half. Can any of you in a similar situation share your experiences with this when you turn it in to the dealer? Are they willing to forgive some of the charges if you lease another car? Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you!
Old 07-12-14, 12:02 PM
gmanusmc
Lexus Test Driver

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by LBCDan
I have a 12,000 mile/year lease and I think I'm going to end up significantly over that by the time I turn in the car in a year and half. Can any of you in a similar situation share your experiences with this when you turn it in to the dealer? Are they willing to forgive some of the charges if you lease another car? Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you!
If you lease another car, you can "trade in" your current car - you can negotiate the trade in value with the dealer. If you allow the lease to end and turn in the car, you probably signed the lease contract agreeing to pay X per miles over the Y allowance - you will be obligated to hold up your end of the agreement. Most likely, the trade in option will be the better of the two.

Bill G
Old 07-12-14, 04:37 PM
Dave Mac
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

Your dealer may very well agree to pay your excess mileage charges up to a certain amount. I usually go over my mileage allowance by 2,000 - 2,500 and ask that they pay it after we have an agreed price on the new car.

And there is no mercy by LFS. On my last lease turn-in the dealer agreed to pay the excess mileage charge and document the odometer reading. They sent LFS a check for the agreed amount and I got billed for another 2 miles - apparently to the lease turn-in point or something. I called LFS and asked if they were serious and they said yes they were so I sent them a check for the 50 cents.

But as always they were polite and I still love them.

Dave Mac
Old 07-12-14, 05:13 PM
gmanusmc
Lexus Test Driver

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave Mac
Your dealer may very well agree to pay your excess mileage charges up to a certain amount. I usually go over my mileage allowance by 2,000 - 2,500 and ask that they pay it after we have an agreed price on the new car.

And there is no mercy by LFS. On my last lease turn-in the dealer agreed to pay the excess mileage charge and document the odometer reading. They sent LFS a check for the agreed amount and I got billed for another 2 miles - apparently to the lease turn-in point or something. I called LFS and asked if they were serious and they said yes they were so I sent them a check for the 50 cents.

Dave Mac
Holy moly - that's crazy
Old 07-13-14, 08:04 AM
Lexusxoxo
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dave Mac

Dave Mac
Oh wow! I would have taped 50 pennies to a piece of paper and mailed it to them.
I'm sure it would have cost $5.00 in postage to do it but the satisfaction would be worth it!
Old 07-13-14, 02:32 PM
Arty101
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexusxoxo
Oh wow! I would have taped 50 pennies to a piece of paper and mailed it to them.
I'm sure it would have cost $5.00 in postage to do it but the satisfaction would be worth it!
Too funny .