ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Can I delay my complimentary maintenance?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-14, 08:23 PM
nuraman00
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Can I delay my complimentary maintenance?

I bought a new 2013 ES 350 in November 2013.

I just put 1,800 miles on it.

I want to take it for an oil change, but can delay having this count toward one of my first two complimentary maintenance services?

The complimentary maintenance can include more things, right? I want to use it when I get to 5K miles.
Old 07-05-14, 09:18 PM
Dave Mac
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

The 5K service doesn't really include much of substance other than an oil change and tire rotation. Also at some point setting your personalized settings.

I suppose if you paid for the oil change at 1800 miles you could delay the 5K service although some dealers might take the position that the first service is the free one regardless of when you have it done.

And I have to aske why do you want to change the synthetic oil at 1800 miles? I wouldn't worry about the no. of months until maybe a year.

Dave Mac
Old 07-05-14, 09:20 PM
rustytank
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by nuraman00
The complimentary maintenance can include more things, right? I want to use it when I get to 5K miles.
5k service is just tire rotation and 10k is just oil change.
Old 07-06-14, 06:50 AM
Dave Mac
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

You are correct.

Dave Mac
Old 07-06-14, 07:38 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts

If you want to pay to have the oil changed now, you can do that and save your complimentary service for 5k and 10k (you get both complimentary). Just tell the dealer what you're doing.
Old 07-06-14, 10:58 AM
nuraman00
Instructor

Originally Posted by Dave Mac
The 5K service doesn't really include much of substance other than an oil change and tire rotation. Also at some point setting your personalized settings.

I suppose if you paid for the oil change at 1800 miles you could delay the 5K service although some dealers might take the position that the first service is the free one regardless of when you have it done.

And I have to aske why do you want to change the synthetic oil at 1800 miles? I wouldn't worry about the no. of months until maybe a year.

Dave Mac
I just thought it had been 7+ months, thought it had been enough time.

You're thinking I can wait longer?
Old 07-06-14, 10:59 AM
nuraman00
Instructor

Originally Posted by SW13GS
If you want to pay to have the oil changed now, you can do that and save your complimentary service for 5k and 10k (you get both complimentary). Just tell the dealer what you're doing.
Thanks! I appreciate it.
Old 07-06-14, 06:35 PM
bootman
Intermediate

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by rustytank
5k service is just tire rotation and 10k is just oil change.
My dealer lists the 5k and 10K as the following:

5,000 Mile Service †
Procedures Included:
Change engine oil
Change engine oil filter
Reset reminder light
Road test vehicle
Rotate tires
Additional Services Included:
Visually inspect brake pads and rotors

10,000 Mile Service †
Procedures Included:
Change engine oil
Change engine oil filter
Reset reminder light
Rotate tires
Road test vehicle
Additional Services Included:
Visually inspect brake pads and rotors

I would just ask the dealer what's included.
It looks like mine is following a 5K oil change interval.
Old 07-06-14, 08:07 PM
rustytank
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bootman
I would just ask the dealer what's included.
It looks like mine is following a 5K oil change interval.
Are you sure that's not for your IS250?
The new ES require 10,000 mile oil changes.

Below is from page 4 of ES350 Warranty and Services Guide:
http://www.lexus.com/pdf/service/MY1...350_WSG_lr.pdf

First Scheduled Maintenance Service: Six Months or 5,000 Miles.
This complimentary service is performed at six months or 5,000 miles, whichever occurs first. To obtain this service, contact your Lexus dealership. Your complimentary service will include these items:

Inspect and adjust all fluid levels

Program Lexus Personalized Settings, if requested

Reset maintenance reminder light

Rotate tires

Visually inspect brake, pads, calipers and roters

Check installation of driver's floor mat

Road-test vehicle

Last edited by rustytank; 07-06-14 at 08:39 PM.
Old 09-07-14, 07:47 PM
nuraman00
Instructor

Originally Posted by Dave Mac

Dave Mac
So it's been about 9 months, and I still haven't changed the oil. I'm at 2500 miles.

Is this still ok?
Old 09-07-14, 09:19 PM
Arty101
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

As Rustytank states above, the 1st service at 6 mo is only inspection and tire rotation. 1st oil change is at 12 months, 10, 000 miles.
Old 09-08-14, 06:28 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

So it's been about 9 months, and I still haven't changed the oil. I'm at 2500 miles.

Is this still ok?
The ES maintenance schedule calls for an oil change at 10,000 miles or 1 year, whichever comes first. Even at 1 year, if your mileage is well below 10,000 miles, the oil is not likely to have broken down. Especially during the warranty period, I wouldn't be inclined to go much more than a year, but, with your low mileage, there is absolutely no need to do the oil change any sooner than at one year.
Old 09-08-14, 07:45 AM
nuraman00
Instructor

Originally Posted by Arty101
As Rustytank states above, the 1st service at 6 mo is only inspection and tire rotation. 1st oil change is at 12 months, 10, 000 miles.
Originally Posted by lesz
The ES maintenance schedule calls for an oil change at 10,000 miles or 1 year, whichever comes first. Even at 1 year, if your mileage is well below 10,000 miles, the oil is not likely to have broken down. Especially during the warranty period, I wouldn't be inclined to go much more than a year, but, with your low mileage, there is absolutely no need to do the oil change any sooner than at one year.
Thanks.

So if 1 year comes up, and I want both an oil change and the scheduled tire rotation, can I still use one of my complimentary maintenances?

If I continue putting mileage at the same pace, when it gets to 18-24 months, and I want both again, can I use my other complimentary maintenance for both an oil change and tire rotation too? Or will I have to just have the tire rotation complimentary?
Old 09-08-14, 08:09 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

Thanks.

So if 1 year comes up, and I want both an oil change and the scheduled tire rotation, can I still use one of my complimentary maintenances?
Yes, you should be able to do that. I don't put a lot of miles on my ES, and that is what I did. At 6 months, I didn't bother to take the car to the dealer, which, for me, involves a 200 mile round trip, because I wasn't close to 5000 miles. At about the 1 year point, I took the car to the dealership and had the 10,000 mile/1 year service done even though I was well short of 10,000 miles.

If I continue putting mileage at the same pace, when it gets to 18-24 months, and I want both again, can I use my other complimentary maintenance for both an oil change and tire rotation too? Or will I have to just have the tire rotation complimentary?
No, I don't think you would be able to do that. Only 1 of the complimentary services is for an oil change. You will end up using that one at 1 year.
Old 09-08-14, 08:18 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Thanks.

There is some excellent input here. I'd also suggest, if you haven't done so already, to call the dealership's service department and run your questions by them. Then hopefully no surprises when you take the car in.

Quick Reply: Can I delay my complimentary maintenance?