Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the ES300h model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the ES300h. Please use the main 6ES forum for discussion about shared components with other sixth generation ES models.

ES350 vs ES300H suspension

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-14, 08:46 AM
gnm313
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Went to the dealer this morning. I test drove both a standard ES with 17" and UL with 18" rims. The difference was noticeable, but not enough to sway me one way or another YET.

I test drove the standard ES first and it was quiet. Hitting bumps and potholes made a sound, but it seemed smooth and nice. When I got in the UL, I felt like I was in my 2007 UL. The best way to describe it is that you can hear tires rolling down the road as you drive. It also felt firmer. For the sports enthusiast, this is probably what you want. For the person who wants a quiet lexus experience, it might make a difference. Noticeable if you look for it.

I also questioned the guy on the difference on the 300h. He said the only suspension difference is a bar which runs across the back to add additional support for the batteries. I suspect the sound/ride difference on the 300h would be similar with 17" vs 18" as it is just less rubber on the pavement.

Big decision on the UL vs just the Luxury. Having a UL makes it hard to back down on the few extra features that you get. Panoramic/Passenger Memory/Seat Extender are all features I use and I don't think are available any other way. I believe the Mark Levinson is separately orderable but hard to find. With the minor 2015 new features, I think I am going to go with a 2014 if I can get the right deal. Will let everyone know how it turns out when I go back Friday.
Old 08-11-14, 05:13 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

Originally Posted by gnm313

I also questioned the guy on the difference on the 300h. He said the only suspension difference is a bar which runs across the back to add additional support for the batteries. I suspect the sound/ride difference on the 300h would be similar with 17" vs 18" as it is just less rubber on the pavement.
While there appears, from the part numbers posted in this thread, that there are two different sets of suspension parts used with the ES depending on whether it is an ES 350 with 18 inch wheels, an ES 350 with 17 inch wheels, or and ES 300h, I see nothing in any documentation from Lexus that would indicate that one of those sets of suspension parts creates a firmer suspension/ride quality than the other. While I know that the ES with 18 inch wheels has a firmer ride quality than does the ES with 17 inch wheels, I suspect that the difference in ride quality is the result of the differences in wheel and tire size and not the result of one having a firmer suspension than the other.

From my own experience in driving an ES 350 with 17 inch wheels, an ES 350 with 18 inch wheels, and an ES 300h, while the ES350 with 18 inch wheels had a noticeably firmer ride than did the ES 350 with 17 inch wheels, if there was any difference in ride firmness between the ES 350 with 17 inch wheels and the ES 300h, it was so small that I wouldn't have been able to tell the difference.
Old 08-23-14, 01:32 PM
rustytank
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by gnm313
gnm313, I'm guessing your sales guy has no idea too. When i bought my 300h, none of the sales people on the floor were aware of the different suspensions.

Originally Posted by lesz
While there appears, from the part numbers posted in this thread, that there are two different sets of suspension parts used with the ES depending on whether it is an ES 350 with 18 inch wheels, an ES 350 with 17 inch wheels, or and ES 300h, I see nothing in any documentation from Lexus that would indicate that one of those sets of suspension parts creates a firmer suspension/ride quality than the other. While I know that the ES with 18 inch wheels has a firmer ride quality than does the ES with 17 inch wheels, I suspect that the difference in ride quality is the result of the differences in wheel and tire size and not the result of one having a firmer suspension than the other.

Here we go with the speculations again...

Hmmm... Let's see...
1) You got a guy who owned both vehicles telling you the suspensions are different and took the 300h back to the dealer.
2) You got the general manager at the lexus dealership who verified the different suspensions and took the car back.
3) Prior to taking the matter to the general manager, i had a call with Lexus Corporate on speaker phone to verify the different suspensions with the sales guy who was clueless.
4) You got another guy complaining about the stiff ride on the 300h.
5) Then, there is the Lexus parts catalog that shows the different parts. Not some random catalog that Joe Schmo wrote but a Genuie Lexus Parts Catalog. And NO, it does not "APPEAR" to be different. They ARE different. Its two different parts with two different part numbers.

What more valid documentation do you need other than the Lexus Parts Catalog?

6) Then there are online reviews that supports this:

Official Sticky on this forum for ES350 and ES300h reviews thread (5th paragraph, OP):

"Lexus expects the hybrid to lure younger buyers, so its suspension is tuned for sharper, crisper handling. "

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es3...ws-thread.html

"DRIVING EXPERIENCE" (All the way down the page)
"The ride quality in the ES 350 is pure Lexus. Smooth, predictable, even-keeled and luxurious. See that pothole – but don’t feel it much. But the suspension is noticeably tighter in the ES 300h, probably owing to the placement of the heavy battery array. Bumps are felt more, but handling seems better in corners."

http://www.vroomgirls.com/review/2013-lexus-es/

Whatever man, you can believe whatever you want.
There is no cure for stupidity anyway...

Last edited by rustytank; 08-23-14 at 02:00 PM.
Old 08-23-14, 07:16 PM
chromedome
Lexus Test Driver

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

Based on my short time with the 300H and comparing it with an Acura TSX, I'd say it rides firmly (although not as hard and crashy as the TSX) and doesn't feel like a typical floaty luxo barge at all. On a weekend hill road blast I felt the steering had little feedback, even in Sport mode, but there's little roll and there's plenty of grip through fast corners. The extra weight over the rear axle makes the back feel like stepping out more. I'm on stock Dunlop SP Sport 271 tires on 17" rims.

Maybe Lexus is crazy enough to position the hybrid as the hot rod of the ES bunch compared to the 250 and 350. The immediate torque from the electric motors makes for interesting in-gear acceleration
Old 02-24-15, 09:19 PM
kstegall
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I purchased a 2015 ES350 at the end of January. My plan was to buy the hybrid, but after test driving both the ES350 and the ES300H, I decided against it. The hybrid simply rode too stiff and rough. The day after my purchase, I drove out of town. I was not really thrilled with how rough the ride was. After a couple of days, I noticed that the car had Bridgestone Turanza EL400s. I just assumed it was going to have Michelins on it, just as my 2002 ES300 had when I purchased it ( my bad for not looking at the tires or stressing it during the buying process). After almost a month, I couldn't stand it and called the dealer. They were willing to switch my tires to Michelins (MXV4) and give me a $100 credit per tire for the Bridgestones. The difference in the ride was significant. Much more so than I would have imagined. The ride is much softer and smoother. Although, I still agree the suspension is stiffer than my previous ES, I am happy with it now. In my opinion, Lexus should not put the Bridgestones on the ES. I would imagine I will not be the first person dissatisfied over this same issue.
Old 03-26-19, 03:16 PM
Patstin
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2016 es 350 ul

I purchased this car about 3 weeks ago, and I hate the ride. I can feel every imperfection on the road even on smooth roads. I have the 18" wheels and Michelin tires, but I feel like a milkshake upon arriving at my destination. Worst decision I have ever made, now deciding what to do about it. I know if there is no solution to this bumpy ride, I cannot keep this car. It is a beautiful car, but lacks so much ride quality. Lexus should not be calling this an Ultra Luxury car!!! Does anyone know how I check if there are different struts and coils that can be installed on this car for a better ride?
The following users liked this post:
dloans7446 (05-29-21)
Old 03-26-19, 03:21 PM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 613 Likes on 461 Posts

Originally Posted by Patstin
I purchased this car about 3 weeks ago, and I hate the ride. I can feel every imperfection on the road even on smooth roads. I have the 18" wheels and Michelin tires, but I feel like a milkshake upon arriving at my destination. Worst decision I have ever made, now deciding what to do about it. I know if there is no solution to this bumpy ride, I cannot keep this car. It is a beautiful car, but lacks so much ride quality. Lexus should not be calling this an Ultra Luxury car!!! Does anyone know how I check if there are different struts and coils that can be installed on this car for a better ride?
Your ride description is not normal. What are your tires inflated to? How many miles are on the ES?
Old 03-26-19, 03:40 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

Originally Posted by Patstin
Originally Posted by Mike728
Your ride description is not normal. What are your tires inflated to? How many miles are on the ES?
Yes, the first thing that you should check is the tire pressure. Typically, cars on the lots of dealers have over-inflated tires. If your tires are inflated at, say, 36 psi, the ride is going to be quite harsh. The Lexus recommended tire pressure for the Generation 6 is 33 psi, but, if you wanted to go down, say, to 31 psi, the ride would be less harsh with a trade-off of slightly lower fuel economy and a bit more tire wear.

Also, the 18" wheels on your car will have a firmer ride than would the 17" wheels. Another option, therefore, would be for you to replace the 18" wheels with 17" wheels.
The following users liked this post:
hisstojay (03-27-19)
Old 03-27-19, 09:25 AM
Tootsall
Instructor

Received 193 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by lesz
If your tires are inflated at, say, 36 psi, the ride is going to be quite harsh. The Lexus recommended tire pressure for the Generation 6 is 33 ps.
And, if the tires are at 36# cold, that's going to be closer to 40# once they've run for a bit. I've noticed that when mine start at 33# cold, they quickly get up to around 37-38 on the highway...and that's when the ambient temperature is 40F.
Old 03-28-19, 10:29 AM
Patstin
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2016 UL horrible ride

I have 16,742 miles on my ES 350. I will check the air pressure.
\

Originally Posted by Mike728