ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Too young?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-14, 11:18 AM
phasmida
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got my ES350 when I turned 19. Most ES owners are older (40+), so it'll be a different car to the people you're around. Lexus did a great job making their new lineup appeal towards a younger audience, even the ES. I have had a few jokes thrown out from friends about being an old person, but that's before they actually saw it.
I've had this car about 6 months now, and most of the comments I've gotten on the car are very positive. I have the model with the panoramic roof, and everyone loves it. I've gotten a lot of positive reactions around my college campus, which has a lot of BMWs and Mercs. It'll probably stick out among the people you're around, which I think is pretty cool.

It seems like you're not too interested in the real world gas mileage (I know I'm not), but your dad is. So even if you won't get 40mpg real world, it makes them happy that it's advertised as that. That's a good thing.

I couldn't get a 2 door car because insuring a teenage male in a coupe is going to be ridiculously expensive, and they're generally not as safe as sedans.
I'd choose this car again if I had the choice. It's comfortable, looks good, rides great, and safe. If you want it to look a little sportier, just black out the chrome with vinyl wrap or plastidip. If you want to go even further, rims and a drop make it appeal even more to a younger audience. I'm fully stock right now, but I'm planning on getting a vinyl wrap on the chrome in the near future.

For reference, I chose the ES over the Audi A4, BMW 328, Infiniti Q50, and Lexus IS250 F Sport.

Last edited by phasmida; 06-07-14 at 11:27 AM.
Old 06-07-14, 09:00 PM
Mhobizal
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I was 18 and 19, I could never have afforded a car like this. I'm in my 50's now. You are blessed to be able to purchase a car like this.

My recommendation is buy an auto that you like and not make decisions based on other peoples thoughts of how you look in it.....unless that is important you. We all like to look good in our cars right?

Congrats and happy car shopping!
Old 06-08-14, 05:43 AM
shotofwine
Rookie

If you're concerned about that now before driving one, don't get one. Subaru makes some of the safest cars on the planet, get one of those.
Old 06-08-14, 09:29 PM
Arty101
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

You're never too young it enjoy the finer things in life. Look at at the young professionals driving all the MB, BMW, Audi and Lexus. There are a few modders on this board that have bought their ES and changed out the grill, amp, wheels, and springs and lowered the car to make it their own or to make it hipper. I suspect they're fairly young such as yourself.
Old 06-09-14, 12:19 PM
coach1
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ditto.... 2001 magnetic red convertible. (ps: I'm 72)

Originally Posted by sderman
I should point out that there are plenty of us in our 50's who drive an ES for a comfortable and dependable ride - but also have a "hot" car for fun (in my case a '99 Torch Red Corvette convertible).
Old 06-09-14, 02:06 PM
Need4Speed
Former Sponsor

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

The way I see it is that you are blessed to have a family support you and provide you your first car.

My family could not do that and I had to get my first car myself with my own money.

Personally I would never get my kid a new car. It would be a pre owned used car so they can learn to drive with it.

However you have it down to a T.

The ES300h is great on fuel and its very safe so your good on that.

The way I see it is yes you can go get a civic or a mustang or a bimmer. But a Lexus is a great car and you will enjoy it as well.

Congrats
Old 06-09-14, 02:11 PM
suibian
Driver School Candidate

ct 200h is a good option
Old 06-09-14, 11:23 PM
SLH
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Backspac
I feel somewhat awkward driving around in such a nice car that is often considered for the old people. Am I way too young to be driving this?
Most young people seem to go for "sporty" cars. And, most young people wreck one (or several) before they learn to drive carefully. The better "safety" record of the larger car might actually be a difference in the experience and temperament of the drivers who choose the car.

These cars can be driven like sports cars, if you choose. The steering is precise, the brakes are good, and the power is more than adequate.

But you are not required to obey that stereotype. You may choose to drive carefully from the start, and perhaps even NOT to wreck your first car. So the real question is -- will having the larger car help you to drive carefully? Or, will you throw it around like a "sporty" car, anyway?
Old 06-16-14, 03:49 PM
Need4Speed
Former Sponsor

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by SLH
Most young people seem to go for "sporty" cars. And, most young people wreck one (or several) before they learn to drive carefully. The better "safety" record of the larger car might actually be a difference in the experience and temperament of the drivers who choose the car.

These cars can be driven like sports cars, if you choose. The steering is precise, the brakes are good, and the power is more than adequate.

But you are not required to obey that stereotype. You may choose to drive carefully from the start, and perhaps even NOT to wreck your first car. So the real question is -- will having the larger car help you to drive carefully? Or, will you throw it around like a "sporty" car, anyway?
I think that he will enjoy the car
Old 06-16-14, 10:56 PM
Sevn86
Pole Position

Received 84 Likes on 56 Posts

If it makes you feel any better, im a 24 year old male that drives a 2010 RX350. Its classified as a ladies (moms) car. The way i look at the ES is, yeah its a old persons car, but atleast alot of men drive it. Why not get the new IS? I really want one of those, but i also want the new Range Rover. Gotta sell quite a few more houses to get that.

To anyone who may read my post and assume im ungrateful for my RX350, im not. I feel blessed. Its just not what most 24 year olds drive. My parents bought it, so I had no say.
Old 06-17-14, 12:01 AM
Arty101
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Sevn86
If it makes you feel any better, im a 24 year old male that drives a 2010 RX350. Its classified as a ladies (moms) car. The way i look at the ES is, yeah its a old persons car, but atleast alot of men drive it. Why not get the new IS? I really want one of those, but i also want the new Range Rover. Gotta sell quite a few more houses to get that.

To anyone who may read my post and assume im ungrateful for my RX350, im not. I feel blessed. Its just not what most 24 year olds drive. My parents bought it, so I had no say.
Seriously, I don't think of the RX as a moms car. I think of the big gas guzzling SUVs like the Expedition, Yukon and Pilot as mommy cars (formerly vans and station wagons) that can carry 7 passengers but usually has one kid.

The Range Rover is nice, but I think you'll need to sell a lot more houses to maintain it, since it has the most problems and least reliable vehicle as rated by CR. But be happy your parents gave you such a nice SUV that you can mod to your liking.
Old 06-17-14, 07:45 AM
tle4113
Driver School Candidate

I think it's just fine to get whatever car you like and not worry about the age stereotype. I'm 24, and I chose the ES 300h over IS 250 F sport as my wedding present. I like the comfortable and luxury feeling when I'm it it. ES 300h is a great car.
Old 06-17-14, 09:16 AM
IS350atWOT
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

^^ +1 It doesn't matter if you're 18. With the ES300h, people will look at you and know you're a smart guy who knows fine cars.

Last edited by IS350atWOT; 06-17-14 at 09:17 AM. Reason: clarification
Old 06-17-14, 09:31 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

The OP hasn't been back lately so maybe he got something different or pulled the trigger on the ES. Every 19 old is different and like it or not there is peer pressure. I like the ES, but IMO there are better choices w available for a 19 year old.
Old 06-17-14, 10:44 AM
MissyBissy
Rookie

My poor 18 year old is slumming it in a 10 year old Mazda. He'd kill for a Lexus and wouldn't give a damn what anyone says. I mean really, it's a Lexus. What are people going to say?

Quick Reply: Too young?