ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Does anyone have RES+ installed in their ES?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-14, 12:42 PM
lamikela1
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

I purchased RES+ from Sewell Lexus and installed it last week. All I have left to do is to have the dealer register it to the vehicle with the Techstream tool. Once that is done I'll be able to register it on the My Lexus site.

I installed it myself and it wasn't too difficult but you should have some interior panel tools to help with removing some of the panels. I was able to compete the job with no damage to the interior but I did take my time. It took about 2 hours total for the install. The dealer will register it for free so there is no additional expense there.

Also the antenna is not easily noticed so that is really not an issue.

I'll let you all know how it works once I get it registered next Friday.
Old 07-21-14, 07:29 PM
brittmayo
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have no complaint about the antenna visibility or installation, but I am quite disappointed in what I consider to be a MAJOR design oversight in the smartphone app: it requires a complex password which MUST be entered many times each day.

If the app had a "remember my password" check box (it has a "remember my user ID" box), it would be fine. Or if it would let me set an easy-to-enter password, that would be adequate. I absolutely detest having to enter a complex password on my smartphone repeatedly when it's not warranted by the risk. If I lose my keys, someone can steal my car. If I lose my smartphone, they can remote start it but can't drive it. And there's no password on my keys. Besides which, if I lose my smartphone, the RES+ app will be among the LEAST of my worries - there are MANY far more sensitive things on the phone.

And if that's not fuel enough, the Lexus Drivers site, which is where you set and change this password, does NOT require a complex password.

I don't understand why Lexus won't add a "remember my password" check box to the app. That would take less than 10 minutes and GREATLY improve the usability. And it would let ME decide how to manage my own risk, rather than having the choice dictated to me.
Old 07-22-14, 02:46 PM
lamikela1
Intermediate

Good point Brittmayo. Maybe we all need to file our complaints with Lexus so they can make the change on the app.
Old 07-30-14, 09:52 AM
lamikela1
Intermediate

OK I had RES + registered last week and everything is working though not quite as good as I would have expected. The key FOB works as advertised but the smartphone app is iffy. Seems that you need good cellular coverage to communicate with the car to remote start it. Although you can see the location, temperature, and status the app may not start the car. Once you are in a good coverage area then remote start via phone does work.

All in all from the key FOB standpoint it's not as good as my AutoPage remote start on my Tacoma but at least it's integrated into the factory system and it's plug and play. Also, this does work on the 2013 ES so there are no issues there.

The smartphone app does need some work so hopefully Lexus will work on that.

I am split on whether this is better than aftermarket but at least I don't have an inexperienced installer cutting wires under the dash and using wiretaps to make really bad connections. If you know a good installer/shop who has done work for you in the past you should at least check out their options before going with RES +.

I installed my AutoPage myself and soldered and used heat shrink on all of the connections. The preparation and install took some time but it works fine for the last 8 years. I really did not want to go through that again this time so for me the RES + was the best choice as I just don't trust bringing it to a shop that I am not familiar with.

Oh and one correction... I did not get this from Sewell Lexus but from Auto Nation here in Houston. I ordered it online from them.

That's my 2 cents...
Old 08-12-14, 04:24 PM
shotofwine
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bottom line, what's the cost of the res and the res+ installed?
Old 08-14-14, 07:24 AM
lamikela1
Intermediate

$500+ if you install it yourself and after the 1st year you will need to pay the yearly fee for RES+. RES will always work from the key FOB regardless of whether you pay the RES+ fee or not.
Old 09-24-14, 02:02 PM
lamikela1
Intermediate

OK so now that I've used RES+ for a couple of months it does work better than my first impression. 80-90% of the time I get a good connection and have no problem starting or locking/unlocking the vehicle on my cell phone with the remote app. Almost 100% of the time I can view the vehicle status. So all in all it's working pretty good now.
Old 12-30-15, 11:18 AM
MrlexEd88
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by lamikela1
OK so now that I've used RES+ for a couple of months it does work better than my first impression. 80-90% of the time I get a good connection and have no problem starting or locking/unlocking the vehicle on my cell phone with the remote app. Almost 100% of the time I can view the vehicle status. So all in all it's working pretty good now.
Can you share the part number for RES+. I plan to install this myself.