ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Lexus luxury care refund?

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-14, 07:37 PM
tacrum43
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lexus luxury care refund?

Just wondering if anyone here has come across a similar situation. I purchased the pre-paid maintenance Lexus luxury care package for my 2014 ES 300H and unfortunately it was rear ended this past weekend and took heavy damage to the back and some to the front too. At least no one was hurt and the Lexus SOS feature worked well and they sent a tow truck out for the car. It was my second time being rear ended on the freeway in the past 2 years too, but I digress. The car has not even been in yet for the 5K/6 month maintenance as it only has 3300 miles on it and has only been 4 months since purchase.

I haven't heard for sure yet whether it is totaled, but if it is, will Lexus give me a refund for the ~$2,500 I paid for the pre-paid maintenance package? I suspect it also may be up to the dealer, and I doubt I'll see any of that money back.

Thanks for any advice/experience any can offer me.
Old 05-27-14, 05:31 AM
jollick
Racer

Received 174 Likes on 152 Posts

My situation was different, but, when I traded my HS in for my new ES, Lexus prorated my warranty and sent me a check. :-)
Old 05-27-14, 07:07 AM
Lexusxoxo
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do you plan on getting another Lexus? I'm sure they will transfer the maintenance plan to your new car.
Old 05-27-14, 02:08 PM
Arty101
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I was able to cancel my maintenance plan within 30 days without any issue. I hope the dealer would refund your money since you haven't executed it yet. Or as Lexusxoxo said, they should at least transfer it to a new car if you plan on getting another one. Good luck.
Old 06-13-14, 11:23 PM
tacrum43
Driver School Candidate

Just to follow up for future reference, the dealer offered to transfer the pre-paid maintenance plan to another new Lexus. They also gave me a phone number to call where I could request a refund.

I did request a refund, which was prorated at 93% (since I "used" 4 months out of a 5 year agreement). I think it's kind of b.s. since the car had never even been in for the initial service yet, but whatever. At least I'll get most of it back. They send it to the lienholder, however, and then the excess balance would get sent to me once the loan is paid off.

I decided to get an SUV instead as I missed the cargo room and AWD I had with my previous Honda CR-V. The RX350 was actually surprisingly small on the inside (that center console takes up way too much space), so I got an Acura RDX instead.
Old 06-14-14, 07:01 AM
Lexusxoxo
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tacrum43
Just to follow up for future reference, the dealer offered to transfer the pre-paid maintenance plan to another new Lexus. They also gave me a phone number to call where I could request a refund.

I did request a refund, which was prorated at 93% (since I "used" 4 months out of a 5 year agreement). I think it's kind of b.s. since the car had never even been in for the initial service yet, but whatever. At least I'll get most of it back. They send it to the lienholder, however, and then the excess balance would get sent to me once the loan is paid off.

I decided to get an SUV instead as I missed the cargo room and AWD I had with my previous Honda CR-V. The RX350 was actually surprisingly small on the inside (that center console takes up way too much space), so I got an Acura RDX instead.
Thanks for coming back and updated us..
That is BS 93%?? Really.... They couldn't give you a 100%.
Especially since the first service is FREE anyway!
Enjoy your Acura, I hear the RDX is a great SUV.
Old 06-14-14, 07:23 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Good to hear that you got at least some of your money back. Congrats on the RDX. I've heard and read good things about it.

Reading this reinforces my thoughts on pre-paid maintenance programs and other similar programs. I'd rather have the money in my pocket and spend it as I see fit, rather than giving it to someone else upfront and hoping that I get it back if needed, or that I get what is expected.
Old 06-14-14, 06:45 PM
Max707
Lexus Champion

Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts

Go on the acurazine forum you will see your rear shocks will start rattling. When it happens just take it in for replacements. The replacements will also fail but they will replace them no perm infant fix yet. They are also kind of load road noise. That's why I got a ES 350, but I already had a 100 series so did not need a little SUV.
Old 06-14-14, 11:37 PM
Arty101
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks for the info. Although you lost a little on the maintenance program at least you got most of it back. The dealer could have very well denied you since you took ownership 4 months in, although that would have not been very nice considering your circumstance. Much like the airlines and bereavement tickets, or the lack thereof.

Good luck on your RDX.
Old 06-15-14, 12:57 AM
tacrum43
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by LexBob2
Good to hear that you got at least some of your money back. Congrats on the RDX. I've heard and read good things about it.

Reading this reinforces my thoughts on pre-paid maintenance programs and other similar programs. I'd rather have the money in my pocket and spend it as I see fit, rather than giving it to someone else upfront and hoping that I get it back if needed, or that I get what is expected.
Thanks. Yeah, I definitely won't buy a pre-paid maintenance plan again. This time, when I got my new RDX, they also tried to sell me an extended warranty, paint protection, etc. and I politely listened and then declined everything.