ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Is there an autolock setting?

Old 05-31-14, 10:05 AM
Arty101
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by MissyBissy
HAHA! Yeah exactly. I'm the one who tore the bumper off my car when I hit my sons car. I never underestimate my stupidity.... that's just asking for trouble.
And I was the one who left the car "running" in the parking lot of our local In and Out as I was eating in. Not my most brilliant moment.
Old 06-04-14, 05:35 AM
SLH
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It is hard to imagine a use case where I would not want the car to lock itself after I exit the car and walk away with the key fob. Perhaps to allow a cleaning person to detail the interior. But I will accept some occasional inconvenience for the cleaning person to make things more inconvenient for the thieves.
If I really want a cleaning person to have access, I can let him/her use the key.
Old 06-04-14, 07:21 AM
jakepdx
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When you keep your car garaged, there's no reason to lock it, and it would allow passengers (especially kids, for example) to get in without you unlocking it for them.
Old 06-04-14, 07:49 AM
jim256
Lead Lap

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by SLH
It is hard to imagine a use case where I would not want the car to lock itself after I exit the car and walk away with the key fob. Perhaps to allow a cleaning person to detail the interior. But I will accept some occasional inconvenience for the cleaning person to make things more inconvenient for the thieves.
If I really want a cleaning person to have access, I can let him/her use the key.
You've set the child protector locks on the rear doors, kids inside or someone who might have difficulty reaching the front, hard to get them out or for them to get out in an emergency if the key is not present.
Old 06-04-14, 12:26 PM
MissyBissy
Rookie

Originally Posted by jim256
You've set the child protector locks on the rear doors, kids inside or someone who might have difficulty reaching the front, hard to get them out or for them to get out in an emergency if the key is not present.
Don't the child locks automatically lock no matter what? I thought that was the point of the child locks?

Anyways if it was a setting you could choose to turn it on or off. And if you leave kids or passengers in the car you should leave them the key anyways?
Old 06-05-14, 06:13 AM
jim256
Lead Lap

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by MissyBissy
Don't the child locks automatically lock no matter what? I thought that was the point of the child locks?

Anyways if it was a setting you could choose to turn it on or off. And if you leave kids or passengers in the car you should leave them the key anyways?
The child locks are the slider pins in the inside trailing edge of both rear doors. They disable the inside door handles and are manually engaged or disabled. Sometimes they get "set on" without intent, or set on and forgotten. Standard on just about all cars now.

If you leave kids or passengers in the car, sure that's a good idea to leave a key, but how many of us never forget anything.......like locking the car.....which was the genesis of this now very long thread.
Old 06-06-14, 04:54 PM
A320pilot
Driver

Originally Posted by Mike728
Not 100% following, but are you saying you no longer have a 2013, and you can now lock the keys in the car on your 2014? I ask, because your signature shows a 2014.
I trade cars in every year. I'm laughing as some may think it's strange. I put a lot of miles on cars. Im on my 4th 300h in the past 2 and a half years. All I do is drive. So I get my car washed. Never read the Manuel so that's what puzzled me. I don't know why I always take the key with me from the fob but I'm glad I do and I know the people at the car wash feel the same way.
Old 02-08-19, 04:15 PM
LexusBranc
7th Gear

Default Autolock seems to work ....

I have tested this with my Lexus ES300h 2014 model many times. Within a minute or two of walking away from the car, the car doors seems to autolock. I have left the key fob at least 50 feet away, and it has never allowed me to open the door.

With key fob Between 50 and 20 feet, it has sometimes allowed the car door to open.

Consider this: There is at least a one minute delay. If your car door is not properly closed- auto lock will not initiate. With snow flurries/ heavy snow or heavy rain an unsatisfactory door closure is very likely.

I used to follow the practice of locking all doors and windows using the driver side lock, Same as my first Lexus in the 90s, until I discovered door close using the button on the door lock.

I never leave anything of value in my car-or so I believe. I do live fairly expensive wine bottles in the trunk. My wallet is in the compartment by the car seat when I go to the gym- I hate to put stuff in gym locker and remove it.

Old 07-03-19, 05:22 AM
swarooprao
Driver School Candidate

Can somebody else confirm (or not) whether the auto-lock feature is available in the 2016 ES350? I have one and I'm not able to find a setting to control this option? I have a 2018 Honda CR-V as my other car and I enjoy the fact that the doors auto-lock without me having to pull out the fob to lock them manually. I wish my (fairly new) Lexus had this feature.
Old 07-03-19, 08:35 AM
NdYAG
Advanced

Received 185 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by swarooprao
auto-lock without me having to pull out the fob to lock them manually.
Hm, you do know you can lock the car by touching the dimple on the door handle? No need to pull out the fob.
The following users liked this post:
swarooprao (07-03-19)
Old 07-03-19, 07:10 PM
swarooprao
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for that tip! I did not know that and it DOES help with my problem to a certain extent. In my earlier post, I only mentioned one of the problems I facedue to the lack of an auto-lock feature, viz. having to take out my fob to lock the doors explicitly. The other problem has to do with my poor memory, viz forgetting to lock it when I walk away from the car. With my CR-V, the doors get locked automatically if it doesn't detect the fob within a certain distance. I find that to be a handy feature.
Old 07-04-19, 06:18 AM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 691 Likes on 508 Posts

Originally Posted by swarooprao
Thanks for that tip! I did not know that and it DOES help with my problem to a certain extent. In my earlier post, I only mentioned one of the problems I facedue to the lack of an auto-lock feature, viz. having to take out my fob to lock the doors explicitly. The other problem has to do with my poor memory, viz forgetting to lock it when I walk away from the car. With my CR-V, the doors get locked automatically if it doesn't detect the fob within a certain distance. I find that to be a handy feature.
LOL. I certainly understand the memory issue, especially if you have another car that “just takes care of it” for you. It would be VERY easy to just walk off and forget to lock. Perhaps a good way to mitigate that would be to use the remote app. It includes vehicle alerts, which by default includes the lock status. It will trigger a push to your phone if left unlocked, and you can just lock it right up from your phone. This would require a subscription to the remote app. The remote app is $80 per year and can be purchased one year at a time or multiple years (my preference). It also requires an active Safety Connect subscription but I believe that is now included for the first ten years of the vehicle.
Old 07-04-19, 07:50 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,498 Likes on 1,801 Posts

Are you guys using the Lexus enform remote app? Mine sends me a notification if the doors are left unlocked
Old 07-04-19, 09:02 AM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 691 Likes on 508 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Are you guys using the Lexus enform remote app? Mine sends me a notification if the doors are left unlocked
Exactly what I was referring to.
Old 07-04-19, 09:31 AM
hcopter
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TechNut
LOL. I certainly understand the memory issue, especially if you have another car that “just takes care of it” for you. It would be VERY easy to just walk off and forget to lock. Perhaps a good way to mitigate that would be to use the remote app. It includes vehicle alerts, which by default includes the lock status. It will trigger a push to your phone if left unlocked, and you can just lock it right up from your phone. This would require a subscription to the remote app. The remote app is $80 per year and can be purchased one year at a time or multiple years (my preference). It also requires an active Safety Connect subscription but I believe that is now included for the first ten years of the vehicle.
This is only available on 2019 (and a few 2018) and newer models, correct?
https://www.lexus.ca/lexus/en/know-y...s/lexus-enform

Last edited by hcopter; 07-04-19 at 09:42 AM. Reason: clarity

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Is there an autolock setting?