ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Dealer denying complimentary service maintenance

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-14, 06:18 PM
jbm79
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy Dealer denying complimentary service maintenance

My vehicle is due for the 10K maintenance service. As per the title, the dealer is telling me that only the first 5K service is free, and not the 10K. The service manual (p.4) specifically states that the second/10K service is complimentary as well. How should I pursue this?
Attached Thumbnails Dealer denying complimentary service maintenance-2013-es300h-wsg.jpg  
Old 05-19-14, 06:58 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

In Guam, did you actually purchase your ES from an official authorized Lexus dealer? I just did a search, and I was able to find a Toyota dealer in Guam, but I could not find a Lexus dealer. I can't imagine an official Lexus dealer not giving you the advertised complimentary 10,000 mile service, but, if you bought the vehicle from a Toyota dealer who also can sell Lexus vehicles, perhaps, that might be the explanation. In any case, if the dealer won't work with you, I'd suggest contacting Lexus' corporate offices. My guess would be that they would not be happy to hear that a dealer that sells their vehicles, whether it be a Lexus or a Toyota dealership, isn't providing that service. Before contacting Lexus corporate, though, I would first try talking with the general manager of the dealership, and, if that does work out, the owner of the dealership.

As an aside, if they don't feel that it is their responsibility to provide the advertised 10,000 mile complimentary service, I'd also wonder whether they would be taking responsibility for doing any warranty work that might be needed.
Old 05-19-14, 07:14 PM
StillLine
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Considering the dealer is reluctant to provide the 10K service at no charge, I would be concerned that pursuing the issue up the chain of command would ultimately net sub-standard service. If they end up doing the service at no charge, how would you know for sure that they put in the proper 0W-20 synthetic oil or even changed the filter? Might just be ahead to pay an independent shop you can trust to do the oil/filter change and keep your receipt for warranty reasons. Just my 2 cents.
Old 05-19-14, 07:34 PM
jbm79
Driver

Not sure how auto dealerships work, but I would assume they are authorized to sell the Lexus. This dealership sells Toyota, Scion, Chevrolet, and Lexus. In Guam, being small, only 1 dealership sells a particular make of vehicle, which makes competition (almost) non-existent.
Old 05-19-14, 07:40 PM
jbm79
Driver

Funny thing, I have a friend who had owned about 3 Lexus vehicles. Her current vehicle is a 2011 or 2012 GX. I asked her if she got her 10K service for free, if she remembers. My friend was like, "Oh, they give free services?" She's certain that she paid for EVERY service she's had. So I am not sure what's the deal with this dealership of ours.
Old 05-20-14, 12:51 AM
Poppa
Instructor

Received 166 Likes on 119 Posts

That's a crock of, well, it's a crock..... I can't understand why the dealership would deny the service... If it were me I'd probably take it up with the general manager of the dealership and if need be, the owner... last resort would be contacting Lexus Corp., and who knows how long that would take to get a response, much less a resolution.... Now if you are concerned that the dealership's shop would do a sub-standard service because you went over the shop forman's head, then it may be worth the peace of mind to find an independent shop to change the oil... But it's a shame you would have to do that when the dealer is supposed to take care of that... Good luck with it all.

Poppa
Old 05-20-14, 06:07 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 613 Likes on 461 Posts

Since they changed your oil during your free 5k service, all you're missing out on is the free tire rotation. I would just call it a day and go back at 15k, or just pony up for it and see if they'll throw in a rotation. It seems your dealer is out of touch with the new service plans, which is why they changed it at 5k. I actually paid for my oil change at 5k and then had it done for free at 10k. I'll do it again at 20k. Just make sure they use synthetic!
Old 05-20-14, 06:18 AM
atoyota
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike728
Since they changed your oil during your free 5k service, all you're missing out on is the free tire rotation. I would just call it a day and go back at 15k, or just pony up for it and see if they'll throw in a rotation. It seems your dealer is out of touch with the new service plans, which is why they changed it at 5k. I actually paid for my oil change at 5k and then had it done for free at 10k. I'll do it again at 20k. Just make sure they use synthetic!
They don't change the oil on the 5K service. Only rotate tires and do their "comprehensive" inspection.
Old 05-20-14, 09:37 AM
Arty101
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I don't think they changed the oil on his 5K service either. I agree with Poppa to go to a good indie if there's a concern about doing the job right.
Old 05-20-14, 09:49 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by atoyota
They don't change the oil on the 5K service. Only rotate tires and do their "comprehensive" inspection.

Originally Posted by Arty101
I don't think they changed the oil on his 5K service either. I agree with Poppa to go to a good indie if there's a concern about doing the job right.
From his 5k post -> https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es3...-too-much.html

It looks like they at least did use synthetic, though.

Last edited by Mike728; 05-20-14 at 10:03 AM.
Old 05-20-14, 09:54 AM
Arty101
Lexus Champion

I didn't see it on his 5K service, only on his 10K/12 month service like the rest of us. .
Old 05-20-14, 10:04 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

I didn't see it on his 5K service, only on his 10K/12 month service like the rest of us. .
The original link wasn't working. Check the new link.
Old 05-20-14, 10:04 AM
Max707
Lexus Champion

Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts

Call Lexus corp and ask them. In Hawaii they don't honor CPO warranty on a Lexus you bring in from the mainland. Your in GU I'm betting the rules are different.
Old 05-20-14, 05:23 PM
jbm79
Driver

Yes, they did an oil change on 5K. I didn't complain as it was free. I'm guessing they will convince me to change oil every 5K, which is the reason I made a thread in the past asking if 5K interval is too much.

I don't drive aggressively, and our climate is not "harsh" enough to warrant a 5K interval; so I think I will stick to a 10K interval. I'm guessing they will throw in the "will-void-your-warranty" crap on me, to which I will respond 10K is the Lexus recommended interval.

I talked to co-worker, and they insist he change oil every 5K or 3 mos, whichever comes sooner, on his 2011 ES350. I was like, WHOA!!! So it seems the dealership is pushing unnecessary oil changes for the $$$.

It seems this dealership will prey on the uninformed. It's a shame.
Old 05-20-14, 05:26 PM
Arty101
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Mike728
The original link wasn't working. Check the new link.
Then he can't expect a freebie if they've changed his oil at the 5K service. Maybe a vehicle check and tire rotation at his 10k, like the 5K for the rest of the world.

Quick Reply: Dealer denying complimentary service maintenance