ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

OE 18" Bridgestone Tire Life

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-14, 10:04 AM
LBCDan
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default OE 18" Bridgestone Tire Life

Quick survey. How many miles are you getting out of your original OE tires? I have a '13 model with the 18" Bridgestone tires. I have put 20K miles on them and I am down to 5/16 tread left. I estimate I'll have to replace them at 25K.
Old 05-13-14, 10:18 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 611 Likes on 459 Posts

I wish mine would wear out quicker. I can't wait to replace them. I have almost 15k miles and tread depth is still very sufficient.
Old 05-13-14, 11:41 AM
atoyota
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike728
I wish mine would wear out quicker. I can't wait to replace them...
Me too. Mine seem to be getting noisier after just over 11K. Still plenty of tread left though.
Old 05-13-14, 01:15 PM
txes
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

20K on my 2013.

Still good tread left. Will probably change them out for Michelin's in a couple of months.

Way too noisy.

John
Old 05-13-14, 01:23 PM
CodemanGS
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by atoyota
Me too. Mine seem to be getting noisier after just over 11K. Still plenty of tread left though.
I have Turanza EL400's. What model do you have?? I had Pole Position A/S 960's, on a prior 2007 GS350. BEST Tire I have ever had / used.
Old 05-13-14, 01:58 PM
LBCDan
Driver

Default Tires

I have a '13 ES350. I hate these tires. They are noisy and ride really rough, I feel every pothole.
Old 05-13-14, 08:33 PM
MrlexEd88
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm at 23k miles. These tire can probably last up to 50k with no problem depending on condition , I'll probably squeeze as much life I can before I reach the wear bars before replacing to performance tire. I dislike the wheel spin and tire squealing that I get with my heavy foot
Old 05-14-14, 03:44 AM
Poppa
Instructor

Received 166 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike728
I wish mine would wear out quicker. I can't wait to replace them. I have almost 15k miles and tread depth is still very sufficient.
haha.... I hear ya.... feel the same way here. These tires came on my new avalon a few years back and I was lucky enough to replace ( uh, I mean they only lasted ) them at about 30K... went with a new set of Michelin's back then.. Plan to do the same thing with the ES when the time comes... but I"m still only at 4K miles...
Old 05-14-14, 03:30 PM
Max707
Lexus Champion

Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts

Funny thing to me putting 18" wheels and tires on a luxury car vs the standard 17" wheels and tires? Compromise ride and tire wear. I suggest you buy 17" wheels and a set of Michelin's you will enjoy the longer/better tire wear and improved ride quality.
Old 05-15-14, 08:49 AM
LBCDan
Driver

In my opinion, the 17" wheels are ugly and don't come close to filling up the wheel well. They make the car look more like a fancy Camry. Although you compromise some of the ride quality, the 18" wheels look so much better.
Old 05-15-14, 02:08 PM
Max707
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LBCDan
In my opinion, the 17" wheels are ugly and don't come close to filling up the wheel well. They make the car look more like a fancy Camry. Although you compromise some of the ride quality, the 18" wheels look so much better.
You might not be aware of this but they both "fill the wheel well the same" the 17's with more rubber the 18's with more wheel. That's why the 17's give you the better luxury ride and better tire wear, which I think is what you have been complaining about. The ES is about as far from a sports sedan as you can get, so no benefit from 18's. I can see 18-19's on a GS but the GS is a sports sedan.
Old 05-15-14, 03:29 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

Originally Posted by Max707
You might not be aware of this but they both "fill the wheel well the same" the 17's with more rubber the 18's with more wheel.
That is correct. The 17 inch wheels with higher profile tires end up having virtually identical diameter and circumference as the 18 inch wheels with lower profile tires. If that were not the case, switching from one size wheel to the other would also require making changes with speedometer and odometer.

Originally Posted by Max707
That's why the 17's give you the better luxury ride and better tire wear, which I think is what you have been complaining about. The ES is about as far from a sports sedan as you can get, so no benefit from 18's. I can see 18-19's on a GS but the GS is a sports sedan.
It must be a case of beauty being in the eye of the beholder. I suspect that, for many in the the demographic group of the more typical ES buyer, the 17 inch wheels with the higher profile tires have a more appealing look on a vehicle like the ES, and the 18 inch wheels with lower profile tires appear out of place on a vehicle like the ES and look like a mod that a 17 year old might have foolishly made on what had been a very nice looking vehicle. Perhaps, the reason might be that some of us can remember a time not that many years ago when tires with a sidewall height of 75 was the norm on passenger cars, and even tires with a sidewall height of 55, such as on the ES with 17 inch wheels, were considered to be extremely low profile tires.
Old 05-15-14, 05:22 PM
Arty101
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by lesz
That is correct. The 17 inch wheels with higher profile tires end up having virtually identical diameter and circumference as the 18 inch wheels with lower profile tires. If that were not the case, switching from one size wheel to the other would also require making changes with speedometer and odometer.

It must be a case of beauty being in the eye of the beholder. I suspect that, for many in the the demographic group of the more typical ES buyer, the 17 inch wheels with the higher profile tires have a more appealing look on a vehicle like the ES, and the 18 inch wheels with lower profile tires appear out of place on a vehicle like the ES and look like a mod that a 17 year old might have foolishly made on what had been a very nice looking vehicle. Perhaps, the reason might be that some of us can remember a time not that many years ago when tires with a sidewall height of 75 was the norm on passenger cars, and even tires with a sidewall height of 55, such as on the ES with 17 inch wheels, were considered to be extremely low profile tires.
Some of us can remember a time what? I remember when 60's on 17 inch were big and bad .

That said, I think Lexus and many of manufacturers put larger wheels and lower profiles on their higher level cars, or as options. Yep, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
Old 05-15-14, 06:11 PM
Max707
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by lesz

You got my number . My LX runs 18's but they are 33" with 275/70/18 tires. I remember when all they had were bias ply tires I think it is funny when I was at the Sema show this last year in Vegas, they had 24 inch wheels with rubber band size tires on huge SUV's. Had to ride like your on the rims and wear out the band aid tires in a few thousand miles. These kids do crazy things for fashion

Last edited by Max707; 05-16-14 at 08:36 AM.
Old 05-15-14, 07:21 PM
Arty101
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

The 24 inch were for just display, right?

Quick Reply: OE 18" Bridgestone Tire Life