ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

head rests

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-14, 01:16 AM
Poppa
Instructor

Received 166 Likes on 119 Posts
Default head rests

I realize this may seem like a dumb question, but what the hell..... can the head rests in a 2013 ES be moved forward or back, not just up or down? I thought I read somewhere they could, but for the life of me I can only get mine to go up and down ( yeah, I know, there's a joke in there, but let's not ) Appreciate any input.. thanks gents!

Poppa
Old 05-08-14, 03:28 AM
don1
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

According to the manual you just pull them forward. I haven't actually had a need to try this.
Old 05-08-14, 05:07 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

Yes, the front headrests are adjustable in a back and forth direction. If you pull them forward, you will hear several clicks as the headrests lock into a new position. To pull them forward, it requires significant pressure applied with both hands. When the headrests are pulled completely forward, a spring releases them, and they return to the furthest back position. I haven't tried adjusting the back seat headrests, but I believe that the headrests in the backseat only adjust up and down.
Old 05-08-14, 03:21 PM
jbm79
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lesz
Yes, the front headrests are adjustable in a back and forth direction. If you pull them forward, you will hear several clicks as the headrests lock into a new position. To pull them forward, it requires significant pressure applied with both hands. When the headrests are pulled completely forward, a spring releases them, and they return to the furthest back position..
This.

Front seat headrests go up/down and forward/backwards. Back seat headrests go up/down only.

Last edited by jbm79; 05-08-14 at 03:26 PM.
Old 05-08-14, 03:29 PM
jbm79
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here you go:
Attached Thumbnails head rests-headrest.jpg  
Old 05-09-14, 12:36 AM
Arty101
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Poppa
I realize this may seem like a dumb question, but what the hell..... can the head rests in a 2013 ES be moved forward or back, not just up or down? I thought I read somewhere they could, but for the life of me I can only get mine to go up and down ( yeah, I know, there's a joke in there, but let's not ) Appreciate any input.. thanks gents!

Poppa
I think you read it hear from seat vibration thread:

Originally Posted by rpgarrett
I just bought a 2014 ES 350. I also noticed a slight vibration in the passenger seat while unoccupied. The initial knocking noise was due to the metal portion of the seat belt hitting the plastic shell that the seat belt retracts into. After straightening out the seat belt that noise went away. However another rattling noise persisted. I traced the noise to the headrest. I never paid any attention to it on my 2008 ES 350 but the headrest can be adjusted up and down as well as forward and backward. The mechanism that locks it into place in the forward/backward position appears to be spring-loaded. When the headrest is sitting in the far back position it really is not "locked" into place. This appears to be because there is no spring tension holding it in place and any vibration was causing it to "rattle". What I did quite by accident was to move the headrest forward. As I moved it forward I could hear a "click" when the headrest got "locked" into one of the forward positions. As I continued to move the headrest forward additional "clicks" could be heard as the headrest got locked in to its new position. The spring tension got greater the farther I moved the headrest forward until it couldn't be moved any farther. At this point there was no more movement in the headrest due to the increased spring tension. In this position I heard no rattle at all. Moving the headrest forward one final time appears to disengage the spring locking mechanism and the headrest is returned to its original backward position . Again, in this position there is movement in the headrest because there is nothing "locking" it into place (i.e. you don't hear a "click".). Moving the headrest forward until you hear the first click will at least lock it into the first forward position. Perhaps it is just a poor headrest design. In my case locking the headrest into one of the forward positions (Note: adjusting the headrest to the farthest forward position provided the least movement in the headrest.) at least solved my rattle problem.
Old 05-09-14, 12:56 AM
Poppa
Instructor

Received 166 Likes on 119 Posts

Thanks guys... I appreciate your help...

Poppa