ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

2013 ES350 HID Low beam adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-14, 07:39 AM
Alscd
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2013 ES350 HID Low beam adjustment

I am not pleased with the projection distance on my low beam HID'S. The dealer says they are within specs. I have never gotten a flash from other drivers because they are blinding them. You can light up just about the whole city with the high beams though.

I would like to tweak them up a bit but have searched everywhere with no luck on how to adjust them. Other model years pics and info are not the same as the 2013.
The top vinyl cover has imprints on it indicated by U/D and L/R with arrows to show the direction of turns. I only see one silver colored wheel with notches for adjustment and I don't know if this is for the vertical adjustment, because it seems to be located right between the U/D and L/R indicators. Can anyone lead me into the right direction?
Old 05-01-14, 01:58 PM
amphipri0n
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Alscd
I am not pleased with the projection distance on my low beam HID'S. The dealer says they are within specs. I have never gotten a flash from other drivers because they are blinding them.
So... you're not getting flashed by other drivers, that doesn't sound like a problem to me. You wouldn't want to actually blind them, would you?

When you start the car, the headlamps will automatically level (only on start and not dynamically) based on how the car is weighted. It sounds like the system is doing its job and/or other drivers in your area are smart enough not to confuse the whiter color temperature of the bulbs to high beams.

It's been discussed on this forum that the light quality and output of the HID bulbs in the 13ES is actually significantly better than previous generations of ES and puts out a lot more useful light.

I'm also reminded of a post from someone who didn't realize his car came with halogen projectors in his new 13ES instead of HIDs as the halogens are also quite bright. I assume in your case, you know for sure..
Old 05-01-14, 02:06 PM
Dave Mac
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

I don't think the HID's in the current ES are self leveling like they were in prior models. Mine are bright but don't change with car load. They fool you a bit on start up but I don't believe they are actually moving.

Dave Mac
Old 05-01-14, 02:30 PM
amphipri0n
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Dave Mac
I don't think the HID's in the current ES are self leveling like they were in prior models. Mine are bright but don't change with car load. They fool you a bit on start up but I don't believe they are actually moving.

Dave Mac

Actually, yes they do self-level, but they are not "adaptive" (does not swivel).
It's been beaten up here: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es3...ling-hids.html

And from that novel of a thread you can check via the following:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/8097494-post68.html
Old 05-01-14, 04:10 PM
Alscd
Driver School Candidate

Hi Guys,
Thanks for the replies. I don't think they are self leveling either, but I will check tonight and look for the arrows, and get back to you.
Self leveling is a good feature, but I am not complaining about wether they are self leveling though. They just don't give enough distance. That typical sharp cutoff with these HID's make the matter worse. The vinyl cover where the U/D is also has a stamped low beam icon thats labeled 1%, and I assume that means the adjustment is limited to 1% up or down. What I need to do is bring it up that 1%. Maybe its already at the top limit. I won't know until I try it. So what I need is someone who can take a pic or something to indicate where the adjustment is.
Old 05-01-14, 05:11 PM
atoyota
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Interesting. I have HID and find I never really need the high beams anymore - either for forward distance or for side coverage. The stock fog lights also provide no extra amount of visibility in my opinion. The high beams are just ridiculous.
Old 05-01-14, 05:34 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Hi Guys,
Thanks for the replies. I don't think they are self leveling either, but I will check tonight and look for the arrows, and get back to you.
Self leveling is a good feature, but I am not complaining about wether they are self leveling though. They just don't give enough distance. That typical sharp cutoff with these HID's make the matter worse. The vinyl cover where the U/D is also has a stamped low beam icon thats labeled 1%, and I assume that means the adjustment is limited to 1% up or down. What I need to do is bring it up that 1%. Maybe its already at the top limit. I won't know until I try it. So what I need is someone who can take a pic or something to indicate where the adjustment is.
There might be something in the Owners Manual about headlight adjustment. I believe there was for the previous gen ES350 I had.
Old 05-02-14, 05:41 AM
Alscd
Driver School Candidate

I looked in the manual, and its nowhere to be found.
Old 05-02-14, 07:26 AM
amphipri0n
Pole Position

I looked in the manual, and its nowhere to be found.
I do remember one other poster before you who complained about the cutoff height. This person took it to a dealer who said it was within specs, and then took it to another mechanic/dealer who agreed that it wasn't normal and did perform a slight adjustment. Owner was happy with the results

Followup: here's the post: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es3...-leveling.html

Last edited by amphipri0n; 05-02-14 at 07:30 AM.
Old 09-05-14, 03:46 AM
chromedome
Lexus Test Driver

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

Has anyone figured out how to do this on a 2014 ES? I can't attach pix for some reason.

Standing at the front of the car, looking at the right HID light, I see this:
(DU) (low beam symbol 1%) (RL)

There are down-up and right-left symbols on the shroud, with the low beam 1% symbol in the center. There's a plastic Phillips screw under the 1% symbol that looks like an adjustment for the high beam, but I can't find anything for the HID low beams. There are also three rubber stoppers on the shroud.
Old 09-05-14, 08:08 AM
don1
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Regarding self leveling - Section 4-3. Operating the lights and wipers of the manual has this paragraph.

Automatic headlight leveling system (if equipped)
The level of the headlights is automatically adjusted according to the number of passengers
and the loading condition of the vehicle to ensure that the headlights do not
interfere with other road users.

I don't know about adjustment though. I have had 3 cars with HID headlights and have never needed to adjust any of them. That's not to say it is never necessary.
Old 09-05-14, 03:06 PM
Arty101
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by don1
Regarding self leveling - Section 4-3. Operating the lights and wipers of the manual has this paragraph.

Automatic headlight leveling system (if equipped)
The level of the headlights is automatically adjusted according to the number of passengers
and the loading condition of the vehicle to ensure that the headlights do not
interfere with other road users.

I don't know about adjustment though. I have had 3 cars with HID headlights and have never needed to adjust any of them. That's not to say it is never necessary.
Don1- From my understanding, the leveling of the HIDs on the ES are based on load, but not on the angle of approach of the car like most HID systems. This is exactly what is stated in your example. This can still blind approaching cars on hills or crest since it won't level based on the approach.. However, this still doesn't answer the OP's question.
Old 12-15-14, 05:27 AM
chromedome
Lexus Test Driver

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

I think I've figured out how to adjust the low beam HIDs on an ES300h. The plastic shroud over both lights has a light symbol with 1% written on it and just beneath that is a geared plastic wheel. I used a long Phillips head screwdriver placed horizontally against the black plastic tab next to the plastic gear; turning the gear clockwise (as seen from the rear of the car) makes the lights point upwards. I needed 2 complete turns on both left and right hand side lights to get decent illumination.

See attached pix of the left hand (driver's side) HID light, looking from the rear of the car, with a screwdriver against the plastic tab and gear.
Attached Thumbnails 2013 ES350 HID Low beam adjustment-img_20141215_201511-01.jpg  

Last edited by chromedome; 12-15-14 at 05:30 AM.
The following users liked this post:
is250916 (02-14-24)
Old 12-15-14, 02:23 PM
lamikela1
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Keep in mind that when you adjust this setting it is for both the low and high beam. There is no seperate adjustment for the high beam. If you go too far your high beams will be pointing at the sky.
Old 12-15-14, 10:49 PM
Arty101
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

My HIDs are aimed just below the hood of an approaching vehicle. With the sharp cutoff of the bean, the other driver doesn't get blinded on level ground. However, I worry that with a slight crest or bumps, the HIDs can easily blind the oncoming driver or traffic since they're not self leveling.

Quick Reply: 2013 ES350 HID Low beam adjustment