Go Back   Club Lexus Forums > Lexus Model Forums > ES Models > ES350 and ES300h (2013+)
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Impossible - Locking / Unlocking Doors?

Reply
 
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-30-14, 06:27 PM   #1
jbm79
Driver
Trader Score: (0)
 
jbm79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: GU
Posts: 114
Default Impossible - Locking / Unlocking Doors?

Ok, I have conceded to the fact that you cannot lock the door from the outside with the engine running. But, I just found out:
You cannot UNLOCK the door from the outside with the engine running.

Scenario goes like this:

I have a 2-month old son that rides in the back in a carrier, and my wife rides in the back with him. We had to drop off my older daughter to school, and knowing that I cannot lock the car (while the engine is running), I told my wife to manually lock the door from the driver's controls as she and my son stays in the car while I walk my daughter to school. And it took an effort for my wife to reach over and push the lock controls, as the car is big, relatively speaking. When I come back, I was trying to unlock the driver's door (of course I had the key with me in my pocket) but it wouldn't unlock. I was like... "WTH?!?" So my wife had to reach over again to unlock the door.

Any thoughts on this, or is there any "free" workaround to a situation like this? I heard before from someone suggesting a remote starter. I can understand disabling the locking mechanism for safety, but to unlock it when you have the key with you??? It doesn't make sense.
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Club Lexus!
jbm79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-14, 06:32 PM   #2
Arty101
Lexus Test Driver
Trader Score: (0)
 
Arty101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: SF Bay Area, CA
Posts: 1,367
Default

I think you could unlock manually with the metal key attached to your remote.
Arty101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-14, 06:38 PM   #3
jbm79
Driver
Trader Score: (0)
 
jbm79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: GU
Posts: 114
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arty101 View Post
I think you could unlock manually with the metal key attached to your remote.
Oh, but this is so un-Lexus-like
jbm79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-14, 06:41 PM   #4
atoyota
Pole Position
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: TX
Posts: 213
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arty101 View Post
I think you could unlock manually with the metal key attached to your remote.
Agreed. The metal valet key would unlock the door. There could be some safety scenarios, remote possibility I grant, where you wouldn't want someone to be able to unlock the door from the outside is someone was inside and trying to stay safe and the keyless remote fell into someone else's possession.
atoyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-14, 06:45 PM   #5
Arty101
Lexus Test Driver
Trader Score: (0)
 
Arty101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: SF Bay Area, CA
Posts: 1,367
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbm79 View Post
Oh, but this is so un-Lexus-like
So true
Arty101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-14, 07:44 PM   #6
lesz
Lead Lap
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Illinois
Posts: 750
Default

When you lock the doors manually with the door lock button on the inside of the doors, the only way to unlock the doors has to be to use those same door lock buttons on the inside of the vehicle door. You don't want to lock the doors (for security) while you are inside the vehicle and have someone outside the vehicle be able to open the doors from the outside. That would defeat the purpose of locking the doors. Further, even if it is you with the fob in your pocket trying to unlock the doors from outside the vehicle, the vehicle has no way of knowing whether you are sitting with the key fob inside the vehicle or whether you are standing outside the door with the key fob. Thus, when you lock the doors with the door lock buttons inside the vehicle, because the vehicle has no way to know whether the person trying to get in from the outside is you (with the fob) or someone else who may be an intruder, it will not allow the doors to be unlocked except from inside the vehicle with the door unlock button.

The purpose of locking the doors with the buttons on the inside of the door is to prevent an unwanted intruder from entering the vehicle, and, again, the vehicle has no way of know whether the fob is inside or just outside the vehicle and, thus, whether it is you or an unwanted intruder trying to get in from the outside.

Last edited by lesz; 04-30-14 at 07:56 PM..
lesz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-14, 08:15 PM   #7
jbm79
Driver
Trader Score: (0)
 
jbm79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: GU
Posts: 114
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesz View Post
When you lock the doors manually with the door lock button on the inside of the doors, the only way to unlock the doors has to be to use those same door lock buttons on the inside of the vehicle door. You don't want to lock the doors (for security) while you are inside the vehicle and have someone outside the vehicle be able to open the doors from the outside. That would defeat the purpose of locking the doors. Further, even if it is you with the fob in your pocket trying to unlock the doors from outside the vehicle, the vehicle has no way of knowing whether you are sitting with the key fob inside the vehicle or whether you are standing outside the door with the key fob. Thus, when you lock the doors with the door lock buttons inside the vehicle, because the vehicle has no way to know whether the person trying to get in from the outside is you (with the fob) or someone else who may be an intruder, it will not allow the doors to be unlocked except from inside the vehicle with the door unlock button.

The purpose of locking the doors with the buttons on the inside of the door is to prevent an unwanted intruder from entering the vehicle, and, again, the vehicle has no way of know whether the fob is inside or just outside the vehicle and, thus, whether it is you or an unwanted intruder trying to get in from the outside.
Thanks for the input, but I'll have to correct you on this one. There is only one fob with us, which is the one that is in my pocket. So when the door was closed, and subsequently locked, the vehicle knows that there is no key inside (you know, you get that 3-beep sound when the engine is on and you exit the vehicle with the key and the dash would say "key not detected"). I know this because I often give my wife the house key, which is attached to my key fob, so she can open the door while I still maneuver the car into my car port. The car would beep and the "key not detected" on the dash would show.

So, if the system is as smart as we would like it to be, it should recognize that the fob that started the engine, and the one trying to regain access to it, is one and the same and not an intruder.

I'm now intrigued to test this with the engine off (turn off engine, close all doors, lock from the inside, and have someone from outside with the fob try to unlock). I'm almost certain the door would unlock.

Last edited by jbm79; 04-30-14 at 08:19 PM..
jbm79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-14, 08:26 PM   #8
Lexusxoxo
Pole Position
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Ca
Posts: 257
Default

Did you try unlocking the door by pushing the unlock button on the key fob?
Lexusxoxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-14, 05:37 AM   #9
lesz
Lead Lap
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Illinois
Posts: 750
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexusxoxo View Post
Did you try unlocking the door by pushing the unlock button on the key fob?
I just tried it. The lock and unlock buttons on the fob are disabled when the engine is running, and that is true regardless of whether you are inside or outside of the vehicle with the fob.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbm79 View Post
Thanks for the input, but I'll have to correct you on this one. There is only one fob with us, which is the one that is in my pocket. So when the door was closed, and subsequently locked, the vehicle knows that there is no key inside (you know, you get that 3-beep sound when the engine is on and you exit the vehicle with the key and the dash would say "key not detected"). I know this because I often give my wife the house key, which is attached to my key fob, so she can open the door while I still maneuver the car into my car port. The car would beep and the "key not detected" on the dash would show.

So, if the system is as smart as we would like it to be, it should recognize that the fob that started the engine, and the one trying to regain access to it, is one and the same and not an intruder.

I'm now intrigued to test this with the engine off (turn off engine, close all doors, lock from the inside, and have someone from outside with the fob try to unlock). I'm almost certain the door would unlock.
I see what you are saying. I would like to think that there was some logical reason for disabling smart access to the vehicle when the engine is running and the doors are locked from the inside of the vehicle, but one is not coming to mind right now.

Last edited by lesz; 05-01-14 at 05:56 AM..
lesz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-14, 06:54 AM   #10
lesz
Lead Lap
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Illinois
Posts: 750
Default

Out of curiosity, I wanted to see if my GX was set up similar to the way the ES is set up. Even though the GX doesn't have a smart key, it does have a key fob. With the GX, similar to the ES, once the engine is running, all buttons on the GX key fob are disabled. Again, I'd guess that there is a reason for disabling the buttons on the fob once the engine is running, but I'm not sure what that reason would be.
lesz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-14, 09:14 AM   #11
Arty101
Lexus Test Driver
Trader Score: (0)
 
Arty101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: SF Bay Area, CA
Posts: 1,367
Default

Imagine you had a young child that decided to lock the doors from inside. Now what do you do if they're being obstinate.
Arty101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-14, 11:59 AM   #12
jim256
Pole Position
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: NC
Posts: 203
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arty101 View Post
Imagine you had a young child that decided to lock the doors from inside. Now what do you do if they're being obstinate.
If you have the fob you should also have the retained metal key inside it, which you can use on the driver's door lock.
__________________
Jim
'13 ES 300h
jim256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-14, 12:16 PM   #13
lesz
Lead Lap
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Illinois
Posts: 750
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arty101 View Post
Imagine you had a young child that decided to lock the doors from inside. Now what do you do if they're being obstinate.
I don't think that most would consider it to be responsible behavior to leave a child alone in a vehicle with the engine running.
lesz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-14, 02:04 PM   #14
amphipri0n
Pole Position
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: CA
Posts: 262
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesz View Post
Again, I'd guess that there is a reason for disabling the buttons on the fob once the engine is running, but I'm not sure what that reason would be.
This makes sense, I'm sure most everyone leaves the smartkey in their pockets while driving and so it's nice to know that if something in your pocket/purse accidentally pushes on the trunk release button, it won't have any affect.
__________________
2013 ES 350 - Starfire Pearl w/UL, Mark Levinson, Radar Cruise, Pre-Collision, Lane Assist
amphipri0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-14, 02:50 PM   #15
jbm79
Driver
Trader Score: (0)
 
jbm79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: GU
Posts: 114
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by amphipri0n View Post
This makes sense, I'm sure most everyone leaves the smartkey in their pockets while driving and so it's nice to know that if something in your pocket/purse accidentally pushes on the trunk release button, it won't have any affect.
True. But why not just disable the trunk release function? And speaking of the trunk release, I'm sure I read from the manual somewhere that the trunk release button on the vehicle (not on the fob) is only functional when in Park. Well, I tested this while the gear was in reverse, and I pushed the trunk release. And sure enough, the camera view gradually went up towards the sky!

Last edited by jbm79; 05-01-14 at 02:55 PM..
jbm79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-14, 02:50 PM
 
 
 
 
Reply

Tags
2013, lexus, lock, manually

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Gs300 Door Lock Actuator dtemple67 GS - Second Generation 4 08-05-14 12:58 AM
02 SC 430 Driver's Side Door Won't Open from Inside mkjeffries SC 430 4 01-15-13 06:08 PM
Opening trunk without key while all doors unlocked SilentWish IS - Second Generation 16 08-27-10 11:21 AM
Driver's Door Lock Broken? tuan92129 ES300 and ES330 3 12-21-07 08:20 AM
2000 ES300 Key Fob Help! dpallenman ES300 and ES330 6 12-24-04 03:30 PM

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:59 AM.

Join ClubLexus
Advertising


Copyright © 2000-2008 Internet Brands, Inc. All Rights Reserved
Privacy Policy | Disclaimer | Terms of Use | JOBS


Get all contact info