ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Dealer option "The Protector"

Old 04-20-14, 05:30 AM
gappell
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dealer option "The Protector"

I just purchased a 2014 ES350UL and the dealer convinced me to buy "The Protector." This is a protective coating that is applied inside and out and is guaranteed protection for 7 years. No need to wax the car or clean seats. Has anybody bought this package? I am wondering if it is worth the $1000 cost and I am considering cancelling.

Thanks,
Jerry
Old 04-20-14, 05:44 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by gappell
I just purchased a 2014 ES350UL and the dealer convinced me to buy "The Protector." This is a protective coating that is applied inside and out and is guaranteed protection for 7 years. No need to wax the car or clean seats. Has anybody bought this package? I am wondering if it is worth the $1000 cost and I am considering cancelling.

Thanks,
Jerry
If you can still cancel, I'd strongly advise to do it. These types of programs are notoriously expensive/overpriced and are BIG profit generators for the dealerships and their value is questionable. $1,000 sounds awfully high on top of that.
Old 04-20-14, 05:47 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob2
If you can still cancel, I'd strongly advise to do it. These types of programs are notoriously expensive/overpriced and are BIG profit generators for the dealerships and their value is questionable. $1,000 sounds awfully high on top of that.

Great advice!
Old 04-20-14, 05:55 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

If it is an option from the dealer, whether it be an extended warranty, paint protection, interior protection, a clear bra, glass etching, nitrogen tire fill, or any other dealer option, there is a virtual guarantee that its purpose is to be an extreme profit generator for the dealership. Typically, dealer installed options have markups of several hundred percent, and, if the dealership can sell such options to the customer, it can turn what looks, on the surface, to be a good deal for the customer, into one that is, in fact, a great deal for the dealership.

I question whether the option that you are asking about offers any real "protection", but, even if it does, I'm confident that you could get an independent shop to do the same thing for a fraction of what the dealer wants to charge for it. I would also suspect that, if you carefully read all of the fine print that comes with the product's warranty, you will find that it contains so many exclusions so that, in reality, it covers virtually nothing.
Old 04-20-14, 06:34 AM
Dave Mac
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

I would run from this offer.

Dave Mac
Old 04-20-14, 07:02 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

I'll add a couple of other thoughts to those in my earlier post.

The reality is that modern clear coat finishes require minimal maintenance to keep them looking good, and the same is true for leather interiors. The value of the protection plan offered by the dealership might be a different story if they could guarantee that you were never going to get door dings or hail damage or stone nicks and if they could guarantee that a bird was never going to crap on your vehicle, but, obviously, they can't guarantee things like that.

In most markets, you can find a full service car wash or other independent shop that will offer detailing service for around $125-150. If you are not interested in doing work to maintain the appearance of your vehicle yourself, that vehicle appearance would be better served by keeping the money that you would spend on the dealer's appearance protection package in your pocket and having the car detailed once a year.

Also, my guess is that, if, when you were negotiating the deal on your car, you had told the dealership that you didn't want their appearance protection plan for $1000, but you would take it for, say $150, they would have agreed to give it to you for that price if it made the difference between them selling you a car or not selling you a car, and that would be a good indication of just how big the mark-up is on product. Over my years of buying vehicles, I've had numerous experiences where the dealership has tried to sell me overpriced dealer add-ons that had already been put on the vehicle, and, when I've said that I definitely would not be interested in buying a vehicle with those options, the norm has been that they have sold me the vehicle with the add-ons with no additional charge for those add-ons, which is also further indication of just how little it costs the dealership to put those add-ons on the vehicle.
Old 04-21-14, 08:31 AM
IS350atWOT
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I fell for that one on our RX 450h. The product my dealer used was Resitol and was only $600 for the exterior and interior. So far, the car still looks good after a wash job. I use meguiars wash and wax and that's it. I haven't put any product on it in over two years. If I do get a stain on the carpet and can't get it out myself, I'll definitely file a claim and get them to try to fix it. But having said all of that, I don't think I'll do it again. A good wax job for the paint every 6 months is all you need for the paint. And maybe use wax and dry/quick wax in between wax jobs. On the carpet you could just use Scotchguard and some other product on the leather seats. All of this for way less than $600 - $1000.
Old 04-21-14, 08:47 AM
Max707
Lexus Champion

Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts

Thanks,
Jerry
Not good for a Lexus dealer to push this kind of high profit low value product. I would expect this from Ford, Chevy, And the low end brands.
Old 04-21-14, 09:17 AM
sandy14
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Max707
Not good for a Lexus dealer to push this kind of high profit low value product. I would expect this from Ford, Chevy, And the low end brands.
I agree. I thought Lexus was better than that.
But, the last car we bought (2014 GX) they were very insistent. I was very disappointed .
Old 04-21-14, 09:36 AM
Max707
Lexus Champion

Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by sandy14
I agree. I thought Lexus was better than that.
But, the last car we bought (2014 GX) they were very insistent. I was very disappointed .
The Austin dealer was a class act no hidden BS or add-on's. The finance guy offered service contract and extended warranty's I said no thanks end of discussion.
Old 04-22-14, 10:15 AM
gappell
Rookie

I would like to thank everybody for the replies and opinions. I have 30 days to cancel and would like to hear from people who may have bought this in previous years. In the defense of the dealer, Treasure Coast Lexus, they have no problems cancelling if I decide I do not want The Protector. I guess most dealer sell stuff to boost profits.
Old 04-22-14, 10:21 AM
gappell
Rookie

Originally Posted by IS350atWOT
I fell for that one on our RX 450h. The product my dealer used was Resitol and was only $600 for the exterior and interior. So far, the car still looks good after a wash job. I use meguiars wash and wax and that's it. I haven't put any product on it in over two years. If I do get a stain on the carpet and can't get it out myself, I'll definitely file a claim and get them to try to fix it. But having said all of that, I don't think I'll do it again. A good wax job for the paint every 6 months is all you need for the paint. And maybe use wax and dry/quick wax in between wax jobs. On the carpet you could just use Scotchguard and some other product on the leather seats. All of this for way less than $600 - $1000.
I am curious about the product mentioned, ResitAll, it is different from The Protector. It appears to offer the same type of protection. Sure a lot of junk on the market. I wonder if any of it works.
Old 04-22-14, 12:01 PM
wasjr
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

I would like to thank everybody for the replies and opinions. I have 30 days to cancel and would like to hear from people who may have bought this in previous years. In the defense of the dealer, Treasure Coast Lexus, they have no problems cancelling if I decide I do not want The Protector. I guess most dealer sell stuff to boost profits.
So do you commit to the product but they don't apply it for 30 days in case you decide to cancel?
Old 04-22-14, 02:34 PM
lamikela1
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

I have to agree with LEXBOB2 as these are expensive and generally unneeded. Most newer vehicles have good paint and interior coatings already applied. As long as your vehicle gets some level of TLC during it's lifetime you'll be fine. Just use premium car care products and you'll get the protection that you need.

I don't know of anything today that can be applied on the exterior or interior that will guarantee that the paint or interior surfaces will last throughout the lifetime of the vehicle without some TLC from the owner.

Just wax it twice a year, keep the interior clean and use a premium protectant and you'll be fine. Stay away from car washes if you can and park in the shade or use a windshield shade as much as possible. That's all I do and have never had an issue with any Toyota or Lexus product.
Old 04-22-14, 05:07 PM
Canesguy
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Agree with all of the above posts.....don't do it......it's pure dealer profit that they know you'll never need or utilize.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Dealer option "The Protector"