ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Low fuel and cruising range very conservative

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-14, 08:07 PM
jakepdx
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Low fuel and cruising range very conservative

I got my low fuel light for the first time the other day, and my cruise range estimated I had 20 miles left when I filled up. I filled up and only added 13.5 gallons (standard gallons as measured in the US, not imperial gallons), which means I still had another 3.5 gallons left, which means I had another 100+ miles before I was truly empty since it's a 17 gallon tank. Not a big deal, but just wanted to share my experience.
Old 03-29-14, 06:54 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

I don't know that you can be sure that, when you filled up, there was only room for 13.5 gallons. There have been reports from many owners (and threads on this board) of the gas pumps shutting off long before the gas tanks were filled. When the pumps shut off can vary depending on a number of factors, including the sensors in the pumps, pressure, etc. So, it may be the case that you had far less than the 4.5 gallons that you think you had left in your tank when you filled up.
Old 03-29-14, 07:20 AM
Lexusxoxo
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is it true that when a ES300h runs out of gas it needs to be towed to the dealer or is my husband just trying to scare me so I don't run it low?? lol
Old 03-29-14, 07:29 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

In the big picture, I suppose it's safe to error on the conservative side with miles until empty.

Fewer drivers running out of gas on the road. Fewer calls for Roadside Assistance too.
Old 03-29-14, 08:16 AM
jim256
Lead Lap

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexusxoxo
Is it true that when a ES300h runs out of gas it needs to be towed to the dealer or is my husband just trying to scare me so I don't run it low?? lol
Here's what the manual (and husband) says: If there is only a small amount of fuel, the hybrid system may not be able to start.

If someone posts "don't worry about it", which/who would you believe?
Old 03-29-14, 08:46 AM
joebruin
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jakepdx
I got my low fuel light for the first time the other day, and my cruise range estimated I had 20 miles left when I filled up. I filled up and only added 13.5 gallons (standard gallons as measured in the US, not imperial gallons), which means I still had another 3.5 gallons left, which means I had another 100+ miles before I was truly empty since it's a 17 gallon tank. Not a big deal, but just wanted to share my experience.
I get the same thing. And my cruising range hardly goes over 600 mi after fill up. Wonder how cruising range is calculated, with what mpg?
Old 03-29-14, 11:01 AM
Arty101
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Your hubbie is correct. The hybrid shuts down and will require the dealer to reset if there's not enough gas to keep the engine running or batteries charged. Moral of the story is to refuel soon after the fuel light comes on, particularly on the 300h.
Old 03-29-14, 03:31 PM
uicandrew
Pole Position

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es3...-capacity.html

here's the thread i started a few months ago
Old 03-29-14, 05:42 PM
Lexusxoxo
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Arty101
Your hubbie is correct. The hybrid shuts down and will require the dealer to reset if there's not enough gas to keep the engine running or batteries charged. Moral of the story is to refuel soon after the fuel light comes on, particularly on the 300h.
Thank you!
Old 03-29-14, 05:44 PM
Lexusxoxo
Pole Position

Originally Posted by jim256
Here's what the manual (and husband) says: If there is only a small amount of fuel, the hybrid system may not be able to start.

If someone posts "don't worry about it", which/who would you believe?
I guess I have to believe the Hubby and the manual..
But I will never tell him he was right.. lol
Old 03-30-14, 02:48 PM
jakepdx
Rookie

uicandrew, that's a great thread - thanks for the link. It confirms what I saw in my driving.
Old 03-30-14, 06:23 PM
SLH
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you run out of fuel, and then run the battery down, the system will not be able to start up even after you add fuel. When the high-voltage battery gets run down so far that it cannot start the gas motor, it needs to be recharged by a special high-voltage charger. That charger is only at the dealer. So, flat-bed to the dealer you go...

It is much less expensive, and much less inconvenient, to just add fuel before you run out.

These cars have a 600-mile range on a tank of gas... there is no good reason to cut it close.
Old 03-30-14, 07:48 PM
Lexusxoxo
Pole Position

Originally Posted by SLH
If you run out of fuel, and then run the battery down, the system will not be able to start up even after you add fuel. When the high-voltage battery gets run down so far that it cannot start the gas motor, it needs to be recharged by a special high-voltage charger. That charger is only at the dealer. So, flat-bed to the dealer you go...

It is much less expensive, and much less inconvenient, to just add fuel before you run out.

These cars have a 600-mile range on a tank of gas... there is no good reason to cut it close.
I know I know... You sound like my husband.. lol
I did get gas the min my gas light came on yesterday after reading a few posts above..
Old 03-31-14, 12:52 PM
MissyBissy
Rookie

I know I know... You sound like my husband.. lol
I did get gas the min my gas light came on yesterday after reading a few posts above..
My minivan goes 38.5 miles after the fuel light comes on. Ask me how I know.

I think I am sufficiently scared not to even risk it now. Thanks!
Old 03-31-14, 02:47 PM
Arty101
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by MissyBissy
My minivan goes 38.5 miles after the fuel light comes on. Ask me how I know.

I think I am sufficiently scared not to even risk it now. Thanks!
Yes, the hybrids are not like your typical minivan. You really don't want to test it's range.

Quick Reply: Low fuel and cruising range very conservative