ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Dealer programmed settings

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-14, 06:01 AM
Carista
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by lesz
I would otherwise be happy to try the beta of your app; however, since I already have Techstream and since I can use it with both my ES and my older GX, my thinking was that I would wait to buy the OBDI Bluetooth device until or unless you finished developing a version of the app that would be compatible with the older GX. At this point, I can change any settings that I would want to change or pull any codes, if necessary, with the Techstream. While your app certainly seems like a more convenient way to do these things, until/unless I can use it with both vehicles, I'm not inclined to buy another piece of hardware, even if it is quite inexpensive.
Gotcha. For some reason I thought you already had the Bluetooth OBD device.
Old 04-15-14, 10:02 PM
PeteInGilr
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

[QUOTE=jonmanch;8463544]I am surprised that no one on this thread has stated or realized that if you hold the unlock button down on the key fob for about 3-5 seconds, the windows will begin to go down. That is the default setting for the Fob when the car is delivered. I for one had the dealer turn this function off as I found at least once a month, the Fob would press against something in my pocket that presses the unlock button and my windows go either partially or all the way down. Not a good thing to happen if it is raining out. I figure I can "suffer" a few minutes in summer heat and lower the windows on my own.
I/QUOTE]

I agree and had the dealer change turn this function off in my '09 ES350. It only happened once when I was at a neighborhood 4th of July fireworks party and there were bottle rockets flying everywhere. I was shocked to find my sunroof open and windows down at the end of the night, but luckily no damage.

I must have bent down in just the right position, for the right amount of time to activate the key fob.

Last edited by PeteInGilr; 04-15-14 at 10:26 PM. Reason: changed year
Old 04-29-14, 03:55 PM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,236 Likes on 868 Posts

A follow-up to a previous post regarding purchasing the module to attach to the onboard diagnostic port to facilitate custom changes. I downloaded the app "Carista" and ordered the module to use in the car to make custom changes. This eliminates the need to go to the dealer for any changes that one would like to do. I used the bluetooth on my smartphone and paired it with the mnodule. On the phone the various items that can be changed come up and can be answered "yes" or "enable". I only changed one thing; the open sunroof and all windows by holding down unlock button. But there's a GOTCHA involved that the Carista app developer didn't tell us when he posted here. As soon as I changed the sunroof/windows down to enable, a pop-up came on the screen demanding $10. to make the change. A bit shi**y if you ask me. Underhanded at the least. Keep your app Carista and be more honest next time...
Old 04-29-14, 04:09 PM
jakepdx
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't know the developer and I haven't used the app, but the link that s/he provided about the app says:
It’s an app that connects to your car via a Bluetooth adapter (about $10 from Amazon or ebay) and gives you a list of all settings that can be changed for your particular car (Carista automatically detects which ones are supported by your car). Changing these settings requires the “Pro Package”, but it only costs $9.99, so you’re out a total of about $20 and you can change your own settings whenever you like, as many times as you like. Plus, this also gives you access to advanced diagnostics of all systems in the car and allows you to reset warning lights on the dash. Totally worth it!
I think it's pretty typical for apps to offer some functionality for free, and then charge for additional features. Developing software is hard business, and giving away the ability to see all of your settings for free and then charging a mere $10 to change them doesn't strike me as a GOTCHA or shi**y in any way to me.

Sorry, I'm in the software world, so I get a bit defensive when people react with outrage that someone's hard work isn't completely free.
Old 04-29-14, 05:12 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

Originally Posted by bc6152
A follow-up to a previous post regarding purchasing the module to attach to the onboard diagnostic port to facilitate custom changes. I downloaded the app "Carista" and ordered the module to use in the car to make custom changes. This eliminates the need to go to the dealer for any changes that one would like to do. I used the bluetooth on my smartphone and paired it with the mnodule. On the phone the various items that can be changed come up and can be answered "yes" or "enable". I only changed one thing; the open sunroof and all windows by holding down unlock button. But there's a GOTCHA involved that the Carista app developer didn't tell us when he posted here. As soon as I changed the sunroof/windows down to enable, a pop-up came on the screen demanding $10. to make the change. A bit shi**y if you ask me. Underhanded at the least. Keep your app Carista and be more honest next time...

Originally Posted by jakepdx
I don't know the developer and I haven't used the app, but the link that s/he provided about the app says:

I think it's pretty typical for apps to offer some functionality for free, and then charge for additional features. Developing software is hard business, and giving away the ability to see all of your settings for free and then charging a mere $10 to change them doesn't strike me as a GOTCHA or shi**y in any way to me.

Sorry, I'm in the software world, so I get a bit defensive when people react with outrage that someone's hard work isn't completely free.
I also thought that he/she made it pretty clear that the cost was the $10 for the BlueTooth adapter and $9.99 for the app., and that the total cost was about $20.

Considering the convenience of being able to change the settings yourself and the cost and inconvenience of having the dealer do it, I think that a total outlay of $20 (only $9.99 of which is for the app) is pretty reasonable. Also, the cost of the adapter and the app is less than I paid for the Toyota Techstream software and hardware that I have been using to change settings, and it should be much more convenient to use the Carista app wirelessly from a smart phone than to use Techstream with a wired connection and a laptop.

The other nice thing about the app should be that it would allow you to try a setting change, use if for a couple of weeks, and, if you decide that you don't like the change you made, go back to the original setting. If, on the other hand, you have the dealer change a setting and you decide that you don't like the change, you have to go back to the dealer and pay again to have the setting change undone.

As I said earlier in the thread, I haven't bought the app and adapter yet, but, if/when there is a version that will also work with my GX, I'll be happy to pay the $20 for the app and adapter.

Last edited by lesz; 04-29-14 at 05:21 PM.
Old 04-29-14, 05:37 PM
bc6152
Lead Lap

I stand corrected regarding the additional charge. As far as paying for a service, I have no objection as long as it is clearly disclosed. apparently it was in this case and the app worked perfectly.
Old 04-29-14, 05:57 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

Originally Posted by bc6152
I stand corrected regarding the additional charge. As far as paying for a service, I have no objection as long as it is clearly disclosed. apparently it was in this case and the app worked perfectly.
I feel a need to applaud your post and to comment on how rare it is in internet forum discussions for someone to own up and admit to saying something that was not correct. The norm in forum discussions, sadly, seems to be that, when someone says something that is not correct, he/she digs in his/heels and feels a need to "prove" that he/she was "right". It is that need to "win" every discussion that turns so many forum threads toward an ugly direction.

I'll also say that, in the time since I've been visiting this forum, it has been nice to see that there aren't many members here who seem to want to bring threads down in that way. I've really only seen 2 people here who seem to be inclined to have a need to "win" every discussion, and one of them doesn't even own an ES.
Old 04-29-14, 06:30 PM
Carista
Former Sponsor

Hi guys

So... happy campers then?

We try to be as upfront as possible, and I'm sorry if there has been confusion. We've tried to make it clear in the app description on Google Play Store (as well as on our web site) that changing settings is a paid feature. So just to be clear, here is the breakdown of Carista's functionality:

Checking for / resetting OBD2 trouble codes: FREE
Checking OBD2 emission-test status: FREE
Checking for / resetting Lexus-specific trouble codes: PAID (also supports Toyota, Scion, VW, Audi, Seat, Skoda)
Listing supported customizations (LPS): FREE
Changing customization values (LPS): PAID

With the new beta version you can also e-mail yourself the list of all settings and their current values, and that's also free.

All paid features in the current app can be unlocked by purchasing the "Pro Package". It's a one-time in-app purchase that costs $9.99 and gives you lifetime access to all current paid features. If you change your Android phone or tablet, you don't have to pay again - you'll automatically have access to all the paid features on your new device, as long as you're logged into the device with the same Google account.
Old 04-30-14, 05:16 AM
alpinefun
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Carista: are you guys planning to develop similar app for iPhone?
Old 04-30-14, 09:09 AM
Arty101
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Carista
Hi guys

So... happy campers then?

We try to be as upfront as possible, and I'm sorry if there has been confusion. We've tried to make it clear in the app description on Google Play Store (as well as on our web site) that changing settings is a paid feature. So just to be clear, here is the breakdown of Carista's functionality:

Checking for / resetting OBD2 trouble codes: FREE
Checking OBD2 emission-test status: FREE
Checking for / resetting Lexus-specific trouble codes: PAID (also supports Toyota, Scion, VW, Audi, Seat, Skoda)
Listing supported customizations (LPS): FREE
Changing customization values (LPS): PAID

With the new beta version you can also e-mail yourself the list of all settings and their current values, and that's also free.

All paid features in the current app can be unlocked by purchasing the "Pro Package". It's a one-time in-app purchase that costs $9.99 and gives you lifetime access to all current paid features. If you change your Android phone or tablet, you don't have to pay again - you'll automatically have access to all the paid features on your new device, as long as you're logged into the device with the same Google account.
Thanks for the clarification. I misunderstood the original message too.

Art
Old 05-02-14, 06:14 AM
Alscd
Driver School Candidate

I am also interested if app will be available on the Apple products.

Also, can Carista provide a link to the correct ELM 327 device on Amazon?

I did a search there and several come up, so which one is the correct one?
Thanks
Old 05-02-14, 10:02 AM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Alscd

Thanks
I purchased the Vgate Scan - advanced OBD scan tool from Amazon. Around $10.00. It worked perfectly with the app and my Android phone. Used it on a 2013 ES350.
Old 05-02-14, 10:16 AM
Carista
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by alpinefun
Carista: are you guys planning to develop similar app for iPhone?
See http://www.caristaapp.com/ios/

Originally Posted by Alscd

Thanks
We have a few examples here: http://www.caristaapp.com/hardware/
Old 05-02-14, 05:50 PM
Alscd
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the link Carista. I just ordered the last one listed by your link.
Old 05-07-14, 07:32 AM
Brozee
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Can you change the dealer settings with a standard OBDII?

I have a VCDS cable (VW/Audi) diagnostic cable that ran me $399 and does OBDII. On my audi it can explore and do everything with the car down to showing car compression, TPMS battery life, all customization of every computer, reset and disable of systems, diagnostic etc.

I believe the Lexus systems are a bit easier and you can only get this info if you have one of the pro dealer tools. Just wondering as it would be nice if I had access to it via the cable I own.

Quick Reply: Dealer programmed settings