ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

My poor baby! Anyone want to cry with me? Or have advise?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-14, 06:51 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,521 Likes on 1,819 Posts

Originally Posted by arty101
i bet he won't park so close to the driveway next time, fearing the wrafth of mom (a spin on tos).
mooommmmmm!!!!!
Old 03-04-14, 09:44 AM
MissyBissy
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Arty101
I bet he won't park so close to the driveway next time, fearing the Wrafth of Mom (a spin on TOS).
Oh the poor child already had to face the wrath of his Asian grandma who went into the house and started screaming at him about how close he parked to the driveway. This morning I noticed his car was a reasonable distance from the driveway. Apparently my mom did the same thing with my brother's car - clipped it while backing out of the driveway - a few years back.
Old 03-04-14, 09:46 AM
MissyBissy
Rookie

Originally Posted by etwd
How close are you to Mission Viejo?

I have an amazing Lexus Collision Repair Facility that will ease your anxiety!
She's at a shop in San Diego. The guy just called and said the estimate was $1877 and they expect to have her done by Friday.
Old 03-04-14, 09:49 AM
Arty101
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

The Wrath of Grandma.....Ouch .
Old 03-04-14, 10:12 AM
Arty101
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by MissyBissy
She's at a shop in San Diego. The guy just called and said the estimate was $1877 and they expect to have her done by Friday.
Nice to know that baby will be back by end of the week. Everything will be okay, and you can still worry about the swirl marks, bike rack, floor mats.....
Old 03-04-14, 01:01 PM
Canesguy
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Missy, so sorry. Been there too, although not the same scenario. Anyway, you'll feel a lot better after the repair is done. Make sure the color match is a good one. Sometimes bumper's come out a little lighter.
Old 03-04-14, 02:04 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

The biggest issue with refinishing a panel on a vehicle with a metallic or pearl finish is that, even if the color match is perfect, with just one panel being refinished, the metallic flakes are not likely to lie in the same way on that panel as do the metallic flakes on adjacent panels, and, thus, those metallic flakes will catch the light differently from the metallic flakes on the adjacent panels. The result is often that, when you look at the vehicle from one angle, the newly painted panel can look darker than adjacent panels, but, when you look at it from a different angle, the newly painted panel can look lighter than adjacent panels.

The good news for the OP is that medium dark and dark metallics and pearls are generally easier to work with and to get an acceptable color match with than are the lighter metallics and pearls. Pearl whites are probably the most challenging, and light golds and silvers, as well as all reds, are not far behind. If the paint technician does not feel that he/she can get a satisfactory match with just painting the repaired/replaced panel, he/she should be able to get a much better match by doing a multi-stage blend into the adjacent panels. While it is not ideal to have to spread the new paint work into the adjacent panels, it is often the only way, with many colors, to get a match that will satisfy those who are particular about fits and finishes. About the only color for which there is very little challenge in getting a virtually perfect match with a panel-to-panel paint job is black.

As has already been suggested, the OP should examine the color match very carefully, look at it from a variety of angles, and do so in a variety of types of light. If the new paint work was done with a panel-to-panel match and if it doesn't match well from all angles, it should be redone with a multi-stage blend into the fenders.

Good luck to the OP with the repair.
Old 03-04-14, 03:28 PM
mrBillFL
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

fwiw, I put a pair of blind spot mirrors on my car.

surprised they aren't built in...

my loaner had the indicator lights, but I wouldn't trust them, if I had them.

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/acc...ier=31937_0_0_
Old 03-07-14, 01:23 PM
MissyBissy
Rookie

She's not going to be home until Monday and I miss her. I'm glad I kept my minivan but it's sucking through gas like crazy.
Old 03-08-14, 09:42 AM
Arty101
Lexus Champion

Just remember the days before Lexi. Getting the job done right is worth the wait.
Old 03-09-14, 04:40 PM
Poppa
Instructor

Received 166 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by MissyBissy
His bumper has some scratches. He shouldn't have parked so close to the driveway. There was nothing in front of him for 30 feet until the next driveway - why was he so far back???? Our driveway barely fits two cars and there's not a lot of wiggle room.
Okay, I know I'm gonna catch some heat for this but I gotta say it..... while the son's car was parked way too close to the driveway, it really wasn't the son's fault... ( please don't hate me missy bissy ) Let's remember that it was mom that clipped the son's car and tore the bumper off the lexus.... when two cars are involved in a minor fender bender, and one car has a driver and the other does not... kinda hard to blame it on the owner of the "parked" car..... reminds me of a time a long long time ago when I was a young kid and backed my parents car out of a single car garage.. I caught the edge of the front bumper on the door jam of the garage and bent the fender out.... I can tell you my pops was mad at me, not the garage! kind of the same thing isn't it? Here's the good news about missy's lexus... nobody got hurt, the damage was very minor and she will get her lexus back as good as new..... still though, If I were her son I think I would pull further down "just to play it safe".
Old 03-09-14, 05:54 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,521 Likes on 1,819 Posts

You reminded me of a funny story Poppa. When I was a teenager my Dad backed his car out of the garage (it was a Cadillac STS), and caught the bumper of a little Toyota truck parked in the driveway...off to the side... belonging to a guy that was at the house doing some sort of work. Pulled his bumper out some and dented the fender. When he got home that evening, i said something about the guy having done a good job on whatever he was doing, and my Dad replied with "yeah, but he sure f'ed up my car" LOL.
Old 03-10-14, 09:01 AM
MissyBissy
Rookie

She's not home yet and I've put about $75 of gas into my van in the last week - I've been spending about $90 a month filling up Lexi so there is a big difference. She's still not ready - hopefully today - but I'd rather have them not rush and get her right than have them cut corners.

My son has been reassured by everyone - his brother, his grandpa, my boss - that it's not his fault I hit his car - however he has learned that even though it's not his fault - he can reduce his risk of accidents like this by being proactive and allowing for space.
Old 03-10-14, 09:12 AM
Arty101
Lexus Champion

Being considerate, and giving mom more room to back out is a good son .
Old 03-10-14, 10:33 AM
texmex123
Driver School Candidate

Dont worry np big deal. I have had this twice - once when I backed into my neighbor's car which was parked so close to my driveway (it was pitch dark) and once when I was getting out of my garage and I did not want to run over my pretty lawn

There is a saying where I come from. Whatever was bound for your head just took your cap

Quick Reply: My poor baby! Anyone want to cry with me? Or have advise?