ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Clear patches around the lower rear wheel well

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-14, 10:49 AM
Halfmoon
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Clear patches around the lower rear wheel well ***update*** 4/27/15

I don't like the clear patches around the lower rear wheel well, still thinking of removing them. They catch dirt and wax around the edges and I just don't like the way they look. After time they may yellow and look dingy too. If waiting a few years to remove them they may leave a ghosting on the paint.

Since I've now installed splash guards I feel these areas will be protected. Thinking of heating them up with a hairdryer to remove them.

Has anyone removed theirs?

Last edited by Halfmoon; 04-29-15 at 03:57 AM.
Old 02-24-14, 11:45 AM
sc02492
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't like them either, for the same reasons. However, I have been told that without them, those areas are susceptible to paint chipping from road debris- not sure whether this is speculation, or whether it's based upon actual experience with other model years that did not have the shielding. Still, for me it may be worth taking this risk and removing it, if the protective shielding bugs me enough. Would be interested in other opinions. I have the starfire pearl color, which accentuates the dirt around the edges of the plastic shielding and spoils the "clean" look of the white color.
Old 02-24-14, 01:58 PM
Arty101
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Halfmoon installed the mud guards which would prevent the splash, spray and rock chips, so its makes sense for him to remove them. If you don't add the guard, I'd think twice about removing them. I think Lexus added the plastic shield for a reason.
Old 02-24-14, 04:02 PM
sc02492
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Arty101
Halfmoon installed the mud guards which would prevent the splash, spray and rock chips, so its makes sense for him to remove them. If you don't add the guard, I'd think twice about removing them. I think Lexus added the plastic shield for a reason.
I agree that Lexus probably had a reason. I'm just wondering how rear splash guards could be expected to protect the area that is covered by that plastic shield, given that the shield covers the region in front of the rear wheels, not behind them. Perhaps the front splash guards will offer some protection for this area?
Old 02-24-14, 04:32 PM
Arty101
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by sc02492
I agree that Lexus probably had a reason. I'm just wondering how rear splash guards could be expected to protect the area that is covered by that plastic shield, given that the shield covers the region in front of the rear wheels, not behind them. Perhaps the front splash guards will offer some protection for this area?
You're right the mud flaps cover the rear of the front and rear wheels while the plastic shield covers the front part of the rear wheel well. For some reason, I was thinking it covered the rear so it made no sense to keep it. After looking at it, I see what you had in mind. I think the mud flaps won't do anything for the front end of the rear wheel well. Again, I don't think Lexus would put them on if it cost them extra without a good reason.
Old 02-24-14, 04:55 PM
sc02492
Driver School Candidate

I agree, Lexus would not do it without a good reason. I don't think that the splash guards will offer much protection to that particular area though. I suspect that the area covered by the shield is more vulnerable because of the way that it flares out, catching debris with forward motion (just like the hood and side view mirrors), but I'm guessing...
Old 02-24-14, 05:31 PM
Arty101
Lexus Champion

I think the wheel/tires are the one that stick out more and will throw rocks and chips to the outside of the wheel well.
Old 02-25-14, 07:28 AM
Halfmoon
Driver

I don't like them either, for the same reasons. However, I have been told that without them, those areas are susceptible to paint chipping from road debris- not sure whether this is speculation, or whether it's based upon actual experience with other model years that did not have the shielding. Still, for me it may be worth taking this risk and removing it, if the protective shielding bugs me enough. Would be interested in other opinions. I have the starfire pearl color, which accentuates the dirt around the edges of the plastic shielding and spoils the "clean" look of the white color.
I have starfire pearl too.

I have the front splash guards too.

I agree that Lexus wouldn't have put the clear patches there if they weren't needed, but Lexus doesn't offer OEM mud guards for 2013-14 ES350 Maybe this was their solution for not offering them.

Winter has returned to MD today When it warms up I'm going to try and run the tires in a muddy spot and see if the guards stop it from hitting this area. If it stays clean I'm going to remove them.

Old 02-25-14, 07:33 AM
lamikela1
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

If you are concernced about the dirt and wax building up on them, wash with a high alkaline detergent like regular Dawn. Use a microfiber towel and wash the edges of the film really good. This should remove most if not all of the residue. Keep in mind that Dawn will strip away the wax so apply a good coat of a clear non-residue wax immediately after and you should be good. This is what is recommeded for most clear protection films.
Old 02-25-14, 08:07 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

Originally Posted by Halfmoon
Winter has returned to MD today When it warms up I'm going to try and run the tires in a muddy spot and see if the guards stop it from hitting this area. If it stays clean I'm going to remove them.

I'm not sure that the only threat to that area comes from mud that might or might not be blocked by the splash guards. Many of the stone nicks that can ding the side of the vehicle and, especially, the flared out area in front of the wheels on the rear quarter panels come from stones that are thrown from the front tires down to the pavement and that, then, bounce back up and strike that area of the vehicle, and the majority of such thrown stones will go under and beyond the front splash guards.

I'm in the camp that believes that the protection is there for a reason, and dealing wax or dirt buildup along the edge of the protective film is not difficult.
Old 04-05-14, 09:56 AM
Halfmoon
Driver

Default .

I did it, a little heat and the patches pull off in one piece. It looks a lot better to me.

I'll take the chance the the mud guards will protect this area. If I do find paint damage in the future I'll eat cake and come back here and report it.

Last edited by Halfmoon; 10-18-14 at 03:07 AM.
Old 04-05-14, 11:41 AM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,234 Likes on 866 Posts

[QUOTE=Halfmoon;8468597]I did it, a little heat and the patches pull off in one piece. It looks a lot better to me.

I'll take the chance the the mud guards will protect this area. If I do find paint damage in the future I'll eat cake and come back here and report it.[/QUOTE

I'll try cleaning the edges with Dawn first and then decide.

Just an FYI - I installed front mudguards soon after taking delivery of my new Lexus. The holes in the mudguards matched perfectly with the factory holes - no drilling thru the metal. Not so for the rears. No factory mounting holes. I thought the rear fender was steel and therefore did not want to drill thru the paint for fear of rust. When I found out the rear fenders are plastic I installed the rear mudguards onto them. I used stainless screws and it took about 15 minutes.They look like factory guards. Got them on Ebay for $40. Provides excellent protection for the paint.
Old 04-05-14, 12:59 PM
txes
Lead Lap

Mud guards are for pickup trucks...

John
Old 04-05-14, 03:51 PM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,234 Likes on 866 Posts

Originally Posted by txes
Mud guards are for pickup trucks...

John
Yeah, in Texas...
Old 04-05-14, 06:50 PM
alpinefun
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE=bc6152;8468708]
Originally Posted by Halfmoon
I did it, a little heat and the patches pull off in one piece. It looks a lot better to me.

I'll take the chance the the mud guards will protect this area. If I do find paint damage in the future I'll eat cake and come back here and report it.[/QUOTE

I'll try cleaning the edges with Dawn first and then decide.

Just an FYI - I installed front mudguards soon after taking delivery of my new Lexus. The holes in the mudguards matched perfectly with the factory holes - no drilling thru the metal. Not so for the rears. No factory mounting holes. I thought the rear fender was steel and therefore did not want to drill thru the paint for fear of rust. When I found out the rear fenders are plastic I installed the rear mudguards onto them. I used stainless screws and it took about 15 minutes.They look like factory guards. Got them on Ebay for $40. Provides excellent protection for the paint.
What do you mean the rear fenders are plastic?

Quick Reply: Clear patches around the lower rear wheel well