Go Back   Club Lexus Forums > Lexus Model Forums > ES Models > ES350 and ES300h (2013+)
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Side moldings DIY: is std. location too low to protect from dings?

Old 02-26-14, 05:51 PM   #16
Canesguy
Pole Position
Trader Score: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppa View Post
I think I finally was able to figure out how to post a pic on this forum..... here's a pic of my ES with the body side moldings...

I likey. Did you do it or your dealer?
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Club Lexus!

Currently......
2014 ES300h Premium: Matador Red/Parchment interior, Bamboo wood accents, Premium Audio, Nav., Intuitive Park Asst., Blind Spot Monitor, Wood steering wheel, Ceramic Window Tint
2013 CT200h Premium: Matador Red/Caramel Interior, Premium Audio, Nav., Body Side Moldings, Window Tint
Canesguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-14, 03:08 AM   #17
Poppa
Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canesguy View Post
I likey. Did you do it or your dealer?
They were dealer installed...

Poppa
Poppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-14, 05:34 AM   #18
bc6152
Lead Lap

If anyone requires the factory instructions on how to install the side moldings, I have them available. I agree with those that say they're not 100% protection, but are still a safety barrier against the inconsiderate morons that ding your doors.

1966 Corvette Sting Ray convertible
bc6152 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-14, 06:02 AM   #19
Arty101
Lexus Test Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by SW13GS View Post
I've noticed that when the molding is installed in such a way that it slopes downward towards the front as it does in Poppa's thread, it looks better and follows the lines of the car better. If you look at the 4GS Joe posted with the moldings further up in the thread, they are just parallel to the ground and really look tacked on IMHO.
I think the sloping down appearance is more due to the camera angle and prospective. The sloping down is actually no more than about 1/2 inch front front to rear on the front door. But I still think it looks good.
Arty101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-14, 06:40 AM   #20
bc6152
Lead Lap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arty101 View Post
I think the sloping down appearance is more due to the camera angle and prospective. The sloping down is actually no more than about 1/2 inch front front to rear on the front door. But I still think it looks good.
If I recall correctly, when I installed my moldings they were level. Not sloping up or down.

Old 02-27-14, 06:50 AM   #21
Arty101
Lexus Test Driver

Sounds about right since a 1/2 inch is +/- , and my bad eye sight .
Old 02-27-14, 06:54 AM   #22
SW13GS
Lexus Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arty101 View Post
No its more than that, I see the difference in person. It may be that the instructions from the factory are what don't look right to me.

2013 GS350 AWD Luxury Package, Liquid Platinum with Flaxen Interior
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, Maximum Steel with Indigo Blue/Brown interior
~Previous Lexus Vehicles~
2010 ES350, 2003 ES300 In the family: 2004 LS430, 1998 LS400
SW13GS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-14, 10:30 AM   #23
arlinek
Driver School Candidate

Poppa: that looks so nice! My car is also the Matador Red. It's funny, others mentioning about a slight slope as it is something I was wondering if I could do as I like it, also. (I don't really notice it on Poppa's car.) Anyone know the measurements (for placement) if one wanted to do it so it "looks" right? But, just in case, Poppa: Could you tell me the height from bottom of front door to the bottom of the molding and the same for the rear door and if YOU think the molding IS at a slight angle by measuring the beginning and end of the rear molding on each door - would that be too much trouble? I understand if it is ... or, does anyone else know what the placement dimensions should be if one wants to put them at a slight angle?
arlinek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-14, 03:31 AM   #24
Poppa
Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by arlinek View Post
Poppa: that looks so nice! My car is also the Matador Red. It's funny, others mentioning about a slight slope as it is something I was wondering if I could do as I like it, also. (I don't really notice it on Poppa's car.) Anyone know the measurements (for placement) if one wanted to do it so it "looks" right? But, just in case, Poppa: Could you tell me the height from bottom of front door to the bottom of the molding and the same for the rear door and if YOU think the molding IS at a slight angle by measuring the beginning and end of the rear molding on each door - would that be too much trouble? I understand if it is ... or, does anyone else know what the placement dimensions should be if one wants to put them at a slight angle?
arlinek.... I'll try to remember to get those measurements for you tomorrow ( saturday ). Sorry I don't have them for you now, but I just now read this post.....

Poppa
Old 03-01-14, 12:53 PM   #25
arlinek
Driver School Candidate

Thanks so much for the trouble, Poppa!
Old 03-06-14, 11:29 AM   #26
bc6152
Lead Lap

Quote:
Originally Posted by arlinek View Post
Here are the factory measurements. If you wish to deviate from these
- which I do not recommend - you would adjust the door bottom mm to a lesser number. IMO if you change the positions it would appear that it was incorrectly applied. The photos in the previous posts were those of a dealer installed set of moldings. NO deviation up or down.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Lexus molding installation procedure.pdf (190.1 KB, 49 views)

Old 03-07-14, 04:16 AM   #27
Poppa
Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppa View Post
arlinek.... I'll try to remember to get those measurements for you tomorrow ( saturday ). Sorry I don't have them for you now, but I just now read this post.....

Poppa
Arlinek..... I'm so sorry I didn't get back to you with the measurements on the body side moldings.... and unfortunately I have misplaced the paper I jotted the numbers down on. But I do remember for a fact that the distance from the bottom of the moldings to the bottom of the door, were the same at the front and back of the moldings... there is no slope forward... I think it's just the angle of the picture I took of my car.... they were dealer installed.... I actually like the look of the moldings.. I don't know if it has anything to do with the color of the car, but the moldings ( which I normally don't care for on a car ) look pretty nice to me on this car... again, they are not the "perfect" protection to door dings, as some jerk has already "dinged" my passenger rear door. It's not bad, but it still pisses me off. Even so I think they provide some protection, and certainly are better than no protection... Just a question of whether or not people like the look of them on their car.... hope this helps.

Poppa
Old 03-08-14, 01:11 AM   #28
arlinek
Driver School Candidate

Thanks, Poppa. If you had to do it again, would you have the identical placement ... or do you think in hindsight that a little higher up might have been better? I'm just concerned since the normal placement based on Lexus' written directions are below the area of the widest point on the doors.

arline
Old 03-08-14, 08:04 AM   #29
SW13GS
Lexus Fanatic

Higher up would really look odd...

2013 GS350 AWD Luxury Package, Liquid Platinum with Flaxen Interior
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, Maximum Steel with Indigo Blue/Brown interior
~Previous Lexus Vehicles~
2010 ES350, 2003 ES300 In the family: 2004 LS430, 1998 LS400
SW13GS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-14, 10:38 AM   #30
Arty101
Lexus Test Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by SW13GS View Post
Higher up would really look odd...
Steve, you were never enamored with any side molding LOL.
Old 03-08-14, 10:38 AM